• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

There has to be an alpha geek here who can point me in the right direction. I need a new keyboard. I'm narrowly avoiding carpal tunnel thanks to my GoldTouch keyboard but my joints are getting worn out and I need a softer touch, and perhaps even some shock absorbtion. I type fast and hard some times. Additional spam induces more pounding, too. These are going to have to last me a while, so I need to do something. Any recommendations? Thanks, Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

Most of it has to do with your sitting position relative to keyboard height than the keyboard itself. If your desk is too high or too low, a new keyboard won't help. There are websites that tell you what the proper keyboard height should be relative to your sitting height, etc. If you want to try a new keyboard, no one's going to be able to tell you whats best for you. Just go to CompUSA or BestBuy or whatever, and try them out.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#3 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

I doubt that I could improve posture too much, all things considered. And not having carpal tunnel by now is testiment to that, but my joints are sore, so I almost assuredly need something to take some of the shock and vibration from fast typing. I can't be the only one here who has this problem... There also have to be lots of keyboards available for folks like me too. BTW, higher would bother my neck and shoulders, lower would make me pound harder with more of my weight behind it! :lol: Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#4 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

Now you understand why we people drive to shopping malls instead of ordering Xmas gifts from internet :)
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#5 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

Now you understand why we people drive to shopping malls instead of ordering Xmas gifts from internet :)

I drive to shopping malls, try it out, then order on the internet :lol:
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#6 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

hold the fly rod with a softer grip and maybe catch a few less fish <_< ...really, soften the grip on the rod , especially when retrieving fish. I fished three consecutive summers almost nightly for a couple hours on Henry's fork of the Snake...my joints would hurt unless I softened my grip while retrieving fish. It was catch and release non-stop in those days before the spots became overrun with people I realize the keyboard may be the primary concern...

Edited by hiker, 20 December 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#7 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

I like the Logitech keyboards for my ergonomics, but you should really go over first the ergonomics of your chair and office table as well as your general habits for sitting and typing. These are some of the stuff that I picked up after years of computer programming and corporate ergonomics guidelines in various companies... Make sure your knees are 90 degrees to your chair and your elbows are also 90 degrees to the table. Your elbows should be slighly higher than your office table. You should avoid stretched or strained positions on your back, keep it as much straight up as possible, raise or lower your chair if necessary... You should also close any of the tilting clips of your keyboard since your hands and fingers should be generally tilted lower as if you are going to pull something, not as if you are reaching to something. I also avoid sitting next to my wireless hub or router, I give a good 3 yards distance where the maximum intensity will die off quickly (with the square of the distance). I am also one of those rare types who can tell when an RF device is turned on around me due to the tingling feelings they cause in my body... :lol: - kisa

#8 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

Mark, You need a brace that stabilizes your wrist and keeps it at the neutral position. It is the bending of the wrist repetitively that causes carpal tunnel also common in any profession with repetitive motion involving the wrist like hairdressers and those guys who spin the pizzas. (I hope you are not spinning pizzas in your spare time.) An occupational therapist trained in ergonomics can help you. Also, DC is correct sitting position is important. At one of my old jobs I was in charge of health and safety and osha instituted an ergonomic's law because of the prevalence of on the job carpal tunnel.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

#9 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Have you considered voice recognition software?

From what I hear, Dragon is about the best right now....but it really all depends on your sound card and processor speed.

Maybe others on the board would like to share their experience in this area as I too am looking to cut my typing time.

Fib

Nuance

Amazon with reviews

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#10 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

Mark,

You need a brace that stabilizes your wrist and keeps it at the neutral position. It is the bending of the wrist repetitively that causes carpal tunnel also common in any profession with repetitive motion involving the wrist like hairdressers and those guys who spin the pizzas. (I hope you are not spinning pizzas in your spare time.)

An occupational therapist trained in ergonomics can help you. Also, DC is correct sitting position is important.

At one of my old jobs I was in charge of health and safety and osha instituted an ergonomic's law because of the prevalence of on the job carpal tunnel.

It looks like this, make sure it keeps your wrist straight.

http://images.google...t...es&ct=title
The harder I work, the luckier I get.