• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 snorkels4

snorkels4

bad guy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

avoid repetition by changing position often how about msm, enzymes (digestive and bromelain), glucosamine sulfate :) , bowel health :blush: --all things are related and need to be in ballance--yin/yand, qui, chee whatever--ballance is the key why is one person affected more than another? genetics cant be changed ; so, change the environment (diet, position, massage, exercise) im surprised cc hasnt chimed in
Andy House, Texas Man, Accidentally Drives 2006 Bugatti Veyron Into Salt Marsh

http://www.zimbio.co...Veyron Crashing

#22 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:25 PM

I just ran over to CompUSA to see what they had to offer.
It occurred to me that you might want to vary the keyboards you use.
That is, use one style one day (standard),use another (ergo designed) the next.

Another idea which has potential with enough ram and processor power:
ViaVoice and DragonNaturally speaking are two of the voice recognition software offerings.
Both are about $100.

Here is the ad copy for Dragon (which seems to get better reviews than ViaVoice):

Dramatic Accuracy Increase
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 offers specialized editions to help your organization improve document turnaround time, reduce transcription costs, and minimize the risk of repetitive stress injuries.
Send e-mails and instant messages, surf the web, create documents - all by simply speaking. With Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9, you'll be faster than ever before and have more fun with your PC.
3 times faster than typing at 99% accuracy

Be sure to check out their Demo:
DEMO (with $20 rebate)

PCMAG REVIEW of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8 ($540 in May 2005?)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 December 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#23 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:39 PM

One comment about the medical article posted about (from the Familiy Practitioners) I disagree with the medical treatements they suggest (pills, cortisone, etc). I see a ton of serious CTS here because of all the workers at the Bath Iron Works and at LL Beans. Trust me, avoid drugs here. We have on VERY rare occasions given a cortisone shot, in order to acutely relieve severe pain, but this has been in very advanced disease in patients who needed surgery in order to be able to use thier hands. Splinting at night can buy you a lot of time. I agree that you should change your work habits and work space, too. But if you get a free moment, go have it checked out. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#24 mikie007

mikie007

• Traders-Talk User
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:04 AM

I have the same problems after 35 years of whacking away at computer keyboards much like you. So, I've been there, done that, consulted Boston finest orthopedic and sports medicine Docs plus HP's Medical Consultants on the subject and have it in both wrists. In my case it has been less problematic and diminished significantly due to my retiring from the daily grind thus less use - so, that tells us something and confirms expert opinion. I see two items not mentioned by those responding thus far. Standard recommended stuff you are very well aware of. One possibility for improvement you now have may be a very expensive orthopedic office chair that would be of your choosing - good luck in deciding and getting used to it. The two items I'll call out are not new. One is a high density type foam pad to put your keyboard on/in depending on design. This is an item that raises the wrists and absorbs some of the pounding that I have not seen recently in stores, to my knowledge. In fact I was asked on many occasions where I got it by folks visiting me. I didn't give it much thought then for many were from Europe and things are different there. I began having problems in the late 80's and I recollect the pad came out of the early 90's. It was recommended by Digital Equipment's medical consultants then and was a common item. It worked best for me of all the items other than the support type gloves that are the mainstay. Everyone is different so what works best for you is what you will need to find. Lastly, Acupuncture may be just the thing for you if you don't mind a very minor irritation upon insertion of the needles - they really don't hurt IMHO. I did not get much of an effect from it other that a relaxing feeling. But some claim it has cured them. Surgery, the micro variety, is said to work when it is time for last resorts and if cutting is a possibility for you. I have never tried the shots but a consideration before cutting, FYI. Lots of options and things to try for the new year. Merry Christmas. REGARDS, Mike

#25 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the help, and much of it is make sense. I do think I'm not 100% clear. The problem I've got is in (I think it's called) the first metacarpal joints. Basically the joint nearest the tip of my fingers. I have a friend who was a paralegal typing fast on a deadline for year. now in her 50's, she's had those joints fused. I'd like to avoid that, thank you. My experience on the wrist problems is that you have to avoid the standard keyboard. That's a bad position. Also, a gel pad for your mouse really helps. For me, resting my elbows on my chair arms and using my split, angled, adjustable keyboard really takes the pressure off the wrist. I've still got two kinesthetic (sp?) problems, however. 1) I lock my thumbs back (and out of the way of my fingers), which is causing some discomfort and which I can train myself away from--I think. The other is a tendency to type HARDER when I type faster, which I can train away when I think about it, but when I'm in a real hurry, I need my keyboard to make up for my pounding, by either making pounding less natural, or by eliminating my ability to pound (shorter travel distance, cushioned stop?). Basically, I'm not going to get less busy any time soon, so I need to find ways to keep this from destroying those finger tip joints so I don't have to go voice recognition. So, we're looking for a very soft touch keyboard, that also is split and raised or even at a right angle to the desk. There aren't many places that carry them locally (which I'd prefer), so I'm going to be buying one on line in all likelihood. I'd love to find some real world reviews and recommendations before I start shelling out hundreds of dollars. And I really want to thank you guys for the concern. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#26 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

Tunnel Carpol syndrome is a serious problems. Proper ergonomics can prevent it, or not make it worse. What to do!!! Three things you should invest in are.

1) Adjustable Keyboard tray and mouse manager http://www.fellowes....aspx?Id=8031301 . Make sure any keyboard and mouse tray you get are adjustable in tilt and includes a place for the mouse.

2) When sitting in a chair, your eye level should hit the middle of your monitor or below. If not, you will have lots of upper back pain from slouching. A 8 inch swivel TV stand took care of this problem for me.

3) Shock absorbers for your wrist can help. But 1 and 2 are most important.

4) I recommend arm rests on your chairs.

5) Wrist curls with light weight bar bells will strengthen your wrists to prevent tunnel carpal, but check with doctors for exercises you should do with tunnel carpal. Using wrist supports can help when typing, but they also make those support muscles weak, which could make your tunnel carpal worse faster, and force you into surgery.

Barry

#27 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Update on the hands. With little typing since before Christmas, the hands (finger joints) are feeling much better. Not right, mind you, but better. I took Ibuprofen theother day and it made a ton of difference, so I'll probably have to dose that a bit to keep the inflammation down enough to speed healing. What's not feeling much better are my thumb joints. I'm hoping that I can stop "locking" them back, and that the Ibuprofen helps. I'm also going to be buying a new keyboard. There's just too much vibration and travel in my Goldtouch...but then it's 3 years old. I don't want to think about how many thousands (millions?) of words I've typed on it. I'll update on the keyboard and it's effects for our archive. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#28 murmur

murmur

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

Mark

You might want to look here for a virtual laser keyboard, http://www.virtual-l...d.com/index.asp.
I know nothing about it, saw it on TV, and googled it. It could be a zero key pressure/ low key travel solution to your problem.

Michael

#29 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

That's a pretty cool product, murmur. I've gotten my new Goldtouch and it's already making a big difference. Firstly, I really had beaten the key stops to a nice hard surface on my old keyboard. That was sending vibration to my knuckles, causing pain. This has already begun to ameliorate. Also, the new keyboard is a slight upgrade,w hcih causes me to take a bit more care than before. Both actions make for an improvement in the hands. I'm still fighting with a hyper-extended thumb joint which is screwing things up, as my efforts to change it put new and different pressures on my wrists. Everytime something feels off, I back off. So, it's better, but not right, and I'm still acclimating to the new keyboard. For more on the Goldtouch keyboard, go to www.keyovation.com Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here: