The lights are on, but nobody's home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

There are many housing stories that I believe have grave implications for the economy. This is not one of them. (BTW, I had trouble believing it until I saw the guy's picture.)

Boston Herald
Da nile is more than a river in Egypt.

#2 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

There are many housing stories that I believe have grave implications for the economy. This is not one of them. (BTW, I had trouble believing it until I saw the guy's picture.)

Boston Herald

I work in the power industry. That's a beautiful story!
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

There is evidence that the non-ionising (magnetic) RF effect due the high voltage lines to cause leukemia (read: cancer) especially for the young kids before the electrocution, documented in one of the public study done by the state of CA. In fact, I believe the high voltage lines above 75kV are not built to run through the residential areas for deployment anymore since 1970s in CA. This one has 345kV.

I believe the power company is at fault here, not only they shouldn't have run the lines near the residential land there (since the land was apparently owned by the person first), but I believe also the voltage is too high to run through the residential areas. There might not be a state stature there for the residential construction near the power lines there, but I think there is guidelines for building the commercial power lines.

Clearly, the city is also clueless. It is easier to relocate the power cables than the useable land for construction. It is usually enough to move the power lines about 100 yards away from the houses since the effect falls with the square of the distance. I believe there is a law in CA for 75 meters minimum distance (or ~80 yards), it could even be a federal law. I think there is in the European countries at least...

Posted Image Posted Image

Anyway...
- kisa

#4 outsider

outsider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

Maybe this would be a way to play the alternative energy area, ha,? Stories abound about farmers that run parasitic "fence lines" underneath and parallel to these high voltage towers to get "free" electric power. Power companies can detect this bleed off though.... ---Out

#5 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

Maybe this would be a way to play the alternative energy area, ha,? Stories abound about farmers that run parasitic "fence lines" underneath and parallel to these high voltage towers to get "free" electric power. Power companies can detect this bleed off though....

---Out

I wonder if they could run the power line underground past his house? I suppose the cost would be high and I'm not sure that burying the line would shield the house from the worst effects. It might be cheaper if the power company moved the house than moved the line? Maybe they could come to an agreement and split the cost of moving the house a few hundred yards away.

Edited by Sentient Being, 28 December 2006 - 12:23 PM.

In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#6 snorkels4

snorkels4

bad guy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image
Andy House, Texas Man, Accidentally Drives 2006 Bugatti Veyron Into Salt Marsh

http://www.zimbio.co...Veyron Crashing