14 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

Kinda makes Dual-core obsolete! :lol:

Posted Image
Part of the inner workings of a quantum computer.
Its maker, D-Wave Systems of British Columbia,
says such a machine could solve massive problems
beyond the reach of today's digital computers.

"Quantum Computing" has been a holy grail in the arcane world of supercomputers — and a Canadian firm claims it will be unveiling one on Tuesday. Nevermind that most engineers thought quantum computers were decades away.

A computer that can perform 64,000 calculations at once.

Following the odd laws of quantum mechanics, the digital "bits" that race through its circuits will be able to stand for 0 or 1 at the same time, allowing the machine, eventually, to do work that is orders of magnitude more complex than what today's computers can do.

The current prototype, says Martin, is as big as a good-sized freezer, and a lot colder. It uses superconducting circuits that have to be refrigerated, close to absolute zero. That's the kind of temperature at which electrical resistance fades nearly to nothing (think of the heat generated by a conventional laptop), so that massive calculations can be done.

What sorts? Martin says, for instance, that a quantum computer could be used to design genetically based drugs (remember that the DNA in every human cell has 3 billion "base pairs," or "rungs" on that famous helical ladder).

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 February 2007 - 11:50 PM.

#2 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

scam. spent a good bit of my life doing research on quantum computing.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#3 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hmm, can you outtrade a quantum computer?
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Hmm, can you out trade a quantum computer?

My thoughts exactly.

#5 kc135a

kc135a

• Traders-Talk User
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

Posted Image
Part of the inner workings of a quantum computer.
Its maker, D-Wave Systems of British Columbia,
says such a machine could solve massive problems
beyond the reach of today's digital computers.

"Quantum Computing" has been a holy grail in the arcane world of supercomputers — and a Canadian firm claims it will be unveiling one on Tuesday. Nevermind that most engineers thought quantum computers were decades away.

A computer that can perform 64,000 calculations at once.

Following the odd laws of quantum mechanics, the digital "bits" that race through its circuits will be able to stand for 0 or 1 at the same time, allowing the machine, eventually, to do work that is orders of magnitude more complex than what today's computers can do.

The current prototype, says Martin, is as big as a good-sized freezer, and a lot colder. It uses superconducting circuits that have to be refrigerated, close to absolute zero. That's the kind of temperature at which electrical resistance fades nearly to nothing (think of the heat generated by a conventional laptop), so that massive calculations can be done.

What sorts? Martin says, for instance, that a quantum computer could be used to design genetically based drugs (remember that the DNA in every human cell has 3 billion "base pairs," or "rungs" on that famous helical ladder).

I wonder if it can run the latest builds of TradeStation. For sure my P4 2.5 with a gig of ram can't.

KC

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

It'll probably run on Vista Home edition. :lol:

#7 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

scam.

spent a good bit of my life doing research on quantum computing.

This is no scam, it will be demonstrated live in San Francisco at Silicon Valley and Vancouver at Science World this month. These people are very serious with some strong venture capitalists behind them. I have met one of them myself. This unit is using super conductor principles in a controlled environment that is 5 times colder than interstellar space and is also shielded in a concrete pit to keep cosmic rays away from it.

http://www.dwavesys.com/
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#8 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:34 AM

Roger, I was watching The Columbo TV seires of the year 1974.....They wee using reel to reel tape recorder.....Rotary telephone.....Big reels for the main frame computer.....Rotary head typewriter for print out.....Thirty years from now.....We will lbe laughing at the computers that we are using today.....

Edited by traderpaul, 13 February 2007 - 02:38 AM.

"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#9 kjt71

kjt71

• Traders-Talk User
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

Roger, I was watching The Columbo TV seires of the year 1974.....They wee using reel to reel tape recorder.....Rotary telephone.....Big reels for the main frame computer.....Rotary head typewriter for print out.....Thirty years from now.....We will lbe laughing at the computers that we are using today.....

Paul, also circa 1974-1976 was when Seymour Cray unleashed his vector based supercomputer bearing his name. His machines held the top spot performance wise until the 90s....The Cray-1 was an 80MHz machine.

While the Cray-1 used freon for cooling, the Cray-2 used Fluorinert. ETA Systems in the 80s had a supercomputer that used liquid nitrogen for cooling.

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

Vision of the 2004 Home Computer 50+ years ago.
"The needed technology will not be economically feasable for the average home."

Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 February 2007 - 10:32 AM.