Dietary Fats and Heart Disease

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Not sure if this has been posted already but - Here is a link to a book called Blue Zones which I read a few years ago that documents several commumities of people that live longer. After reading this thread I might take it out of the library again for another look.

http://www.bluezones.com/live-longer/

I checked out the "blue zones". It was interesting. They all live healthier, happier, and longer than anyone else on the planet.
Click on all 5.
I noticed most don't have much meat in their diet.
http://www.bluezones...on/expeditions/

PASTOR DANIEL MATHEWS(Loma Linda University Church of Seventh-day Adventists): I do follow a plant-based diet and have followed a vegetarian diet all my life, and I know you and all your viewers are going to look at me strangely, but I never tasted any meat.
http://www.pbs.org/w...d-health/10575/

As far as VEGANS goes. There are probably 2 or 3 different kinds.
A vegan that only cares about animal treatment might eat a unhealthy diet.
They might eat a box of doughnuts for breakfast. Potato chips, fries and bread for lunch, and a bowl of candy for supper and still be a vegan.

The other vegan will be most concerned about eating the foods that are the most nutrient dense and be concerned about the factory farms raising animals in a "living hell on earth", before they end up on your plate, all added chemicals and antibiotics included. So don't cross contaminate while fixin supper....lol

#42 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

What Causes Disease?

For humans, as large complex animals, invasion and colonisation by infectious parasitic agents is the basic problem in life

For example, it is likely that the mid-twentieth century epidemic of heart disease was caused by some infectious agent - not known;

As well as the damage from micro-organisms and parasites, there are problems with the body's 'immune' reactions to these invaders - and these probably cause another whole set of 'autoimmune' diseases; which may include eczema, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis

http://charltonteach...s-of-thing.html

We're aliens in Ebola's world

In H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds," seemingly invincible invaders from Mars are laid low by Earth's microbes, for which they have no defense. With Ebola, we humans are the invaders. The sense of being an alien in the world of this virus is jarring.

Before leaving the camp, I share all the latest Ebola figures with Jagatic, and we compare notes. Instead of the feared 90% death rate, in this outbreak it's running closer to 65%.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t2
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#43 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

Food fanaticism is a waste of time. This obsession with "nature's purity without the poisons of evil mankind " is burned into people's brains. Food doesn't come from nature, it comes from botany, chemistry and fossil fuels.

It seems that humans can live a full lifespan on a huge range of diets, so long as the food does not contain too much poisonous or infectious stuff.

The most striking thing about diet is how little dietary components matter to life expectancy, so long as there is enough food.

Utah - The land of worthless dietary supplements

Here in Utah, a huge industry has taken hold, complete with a network of doctors making unproven claims, well-connected lobbyists and entrenched politicians who keep regulators at bay.

To understand how we got here, you have to go back to 1994, when Senator Orrin G. Hatch of Utah midwifed through Congress a new industry protected from all but minimal regulation. It is also an industry that would make many of his closest associates and family members rich. In turn, they’ve rewarded him with sizable campaign contributions.

Hatch is determined to keep regulators at bay. “I am committed to protect this industry and the integrity of its products,” he told a gathering of potency pill-pushers and the like in Utah last fall.

In the past, Hatch has been remarkably blunt about helping his family and friends in the fake drug trade. “I do whatever they ask me to do many times because they’ve never asked me to do anything that is improper,” Hatch said in 2011. He was referring to the firm of his son, Scott Hatch, a longtime lobbyist for the supplement industry.

The larger issue is mistrust of authority, a willful ignorance that knows no political side. Thus, right-wing libertarians promote a freewheeling market of quack products, while left-wing conspiracy theorists disdain modern medicine in favor of anything sold as “natural” or vaguely countercultural. These are some of the same people who will not vaccinate their children.

http://www.nytimes.c...ments.html?_r=2
-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#44 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

Food doesn't come from nature, it comes from botany, chemistry and fossil fuels.

Natural Corn 7000 B.C. VS Artificial Corn 2014

http://www.aei.org/w...015/05/corn.png

Here's what 9,000 years of breeding has done to corn, peaches, and other crops

http://www.vox.com/2...ermelon-peaches
-- -

#45 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

STUDY: Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds
2 years ago on PBS, Dr.Michael Mosley presented some new findings about fasting: Eat, Fast and Live Longer
I tried it, lost weight and lowered my blood pressure.
The researchers say fasting "flips a regenerative switch" which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system. “Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or ageing, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system." Fasting for 72 hours also protected cancer patients against the toxic impact of chemotherapy.
http://www.telegraph...tudy-finds.html

So this newest study sounds interesting (Although the 3 day fast seems less difficult:
STUDY: Five day 'fasting' diet slows down ageing & cuts risk of cancer.
Last year the same team discovered that fasting can regenerate the entire immune system, bringing a host of long-term health benefits.
But now they have found that a calorie-restricted diet comprising of a vegetable soups and chamomile tea has the same affect. And dieters only need to follow the Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD) for five days a month, eating what they like for the rest of the time.
When humans tested out the regimen, within three months they had reduced biomarkers linked to ageing, diabetes, cancer and heart disease as well as cutting overall body fat. For 25 days a month, study participants went back to their regular eating habits -- good or bad They were not asked to change their diet and still saw positive changes.
http://www.telegraph...rs-to-life.html

#46 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Just offering a follow on. I guess it was over a year ago, I went "modified paleo". I got rid of virtually all grains and beans in my diet. I kept dairy. I eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and bacon fat and duck fat and butter. I use olive oil otherwise. I'm trying to source my meat and poultry as close to home as possible and as organically raised as I can afford. My one vice was sugar in my coffee. Anyway, I lost about 35 lbs pretty effortlessly. I crept back up a few lbs over the holidays but dropped it and bit more when I eliminated the sugar. I find this diet/lifestyle easy to conform to. It feels natural. I'm very satisfied and feel good. One thing I discovered is that I'm gluten-intolerant. Before dropping wheat, I thought I was just getting old and couldn't eat spicy foot without "g-i some discomfort". Well, after dropping wheat, I can eat pretty much as much sriracha as I like...and I like a lot. There's a lot of theory on this and pontificating and politicking, but the bottom line is that low fat diets have never worked for me. "Moderation" diets have never worked for me. Any "restricted calorie" diets is a non starter with me. Eating more like a cave man (granted a cave man with a glorious garden and a fortuitous access to red wine) has resulted in a much slimmer, healthier, more active (though I do not work out) me with zero feelings of deprivation and spectacular meals that leave us amazed the following day. There's something to this, at least for folks like me. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#47 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

Just offering a follow on. I guess it was over a year ago, I went "modified paleo". I got rid of virtually all grains and beans in my diet. I kept dairy. I eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and bacon fat and duck fat and butter. I use olive oil otherwise. I'm trying to source my meat and poultry as close to home as possible and as organically raised as I can afford. My one vice was sugar in my coffee.

Anyway, I lost about 35 lbs pretty effortlessly. I crept back up a few lbs over the holidays but dropped it and bit more when I eliminated the sugar. I find this diet/lifestyle easy to conform to. It feels natural. I'm very satisfied and feel good. One thing I discovered is that I'm gluten-intolerant. Before dropping wheat, I thought I was just getting old and couldn't eat spicy foot without "g-i some discomfort". Well, after dropping wheat, I can eat pretty much as much sriracha as I like...and I like a lot.

There's a lot of theory on this and pontificating and politicking, but the bottom line is that low fat diets have never worked for me. "Moderation" diets have never worked for me. Any "restricted calorie" diets is a non starter with me. Eating more like a cave man (granted a cave man with a glorious garden and a fortuitous access to red wine) has resulted in a much slimmer, healthier, more active (though I do not work out) me with zero feelings of deprivation and spectacular meals that leave us amazed the following day.

There's something to this, at least for folks like me.

M

Welcome aboard Mark. Paleo "style" living for me is natural. For 2.4 million years we evolved as hunter/gatherers. There were no seed oils, processed grains. Sugar was unheard of. Fruit was seasonal, smaller and what there was contained a much smaller percentage of sugar than our modern hybrid varieties. When you lower your carbohydate consumption, you become "fat adapted". Your bodies primary souce of fuel is ketone bodies from fat. You can go many hours without hunger. I eat in a modified window of 6 or 7 hours and never after 7 PM. Think about that. We were meant to go periods without any caloric availability. There were no stores. We existed on stored body fat until food could be obtained (everyone has many days of fat stored even if you are thin). If we were "sugar" burners as most people are now, needing to eat three times a day with snacks because blood sugar rises and falls every time we consume carbs... our species would have never survived.

Quality protein is an essential nutrient. It must be obtained for cellular repair. Animal protein also furnishes B12 and complete protein in one source. Essential fats, primarily omega 3 is best sourced from animals. Plant sources of omega 3 are very poorly converted by our bodies. So, protein and fat consumption are essential for human survival. There is no evidence of carbohydrate as an essential nutrient. People argue that glucose is essential for human health. They claim the brain MUST have glucose to function. There is only one cell that must have glucose, our red blood cells. Healthy people have about a teaspoon of sugar (glucose) in their bloodstream at all times.The brain needs a very small amount of glucose and can burn ketones (from fat). If we ate no carbohydrates at all to obtain glucose, our liver is always making glucose via gluconeogenisis. It has evolved to do this and keep us alive when food was scarce. We are fat adpated creatues in our natural state. The way our world eats the last 40 years per official government policy of high carb, low fat has given us an obesity and diabetic epidemic worldwide. Heart attacks are still the number one killer.

I follow Mark Sisson's Primal Diet. There is no one correct version of a Paleo Diet. I have lost 60 pounds and saved myself from an early grave. I read a lot of literature, a lot of podcasts from all varieties of nutritional advocates and settled on the ancestral diet.

Edited by Chilidawgz, 26 June 2015 - 11:42 AM.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#48 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

I should mention that I TRY to keep my carbs under 50 grams a day. I often don't try very hard and some days I don't try much at all, but most days I'm shooting for it. If I get into that zone, I'll drop more weight. I'm also paying attention to my body. If I crave something, I eat it. One day, early on, the wife and I both woke up with a craving for mushrooms. I got up, went out, bought mushrooms and we ate a lb. for breakfast (along with some eggs and a bit of cheese).

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter