Uranium Stocks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

More bad news (of course it is only based on one transaction <_< ): Uranium Falls to Lowest Since March, TradeTech Says (Update1) By Yuriy Humber Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Uranium dropped to the lowest since March because of an oversupply of the metal used to make fuel for nuclear reactors, according to TradeTech LLC, an industry consulting company. Metal for immediate delivery fell to $105 a pound, Denver- based TradeTech said in a weekly report published Aug. 10. One transaction was reported last week, TradeTech said. Tullett Prebon Plc, the world's second-largest inter-dealer broker and a dealer in uranium-futures contracts, sold 50,000 pounds of the metal at $105. ``Although current buying interest remains weak with only four discretionary buyers in the market, some are watching the recent drop in prices closely with a view toward reentering the market,'' TradeTech said. The spot price has fallen 24 percent since rising to a record $138 in June. Utilities, the biggest buyers of uranium, have slowed purchases after building up inventories. Rising supply, the lending of material between users and concern over nuclear accidents after an earthquake in Japan last month caused a fire at a power plant have also pushed prices lower. Demand on the spot market dropped to 800,000 pounds last week. Supply stood at 4 million pounds of uranium oxide concentrate, or yellowcake, TradeTech said July 27. Prices may fall to as low as $70 as the U.S. Department of Energy prepares to auction 200 tons of uranium hexafluoride, a processed form of yellowcake, next week, said Mikhail Stiskin, an analyst with Troika Dialog in Moscow. `Damage' ``I'm afraid that this auction will seriously damage the spot market,'' Stiskin said. ``Everyone's waiting for the auction to pass before revaluating their options.'' Futures contracts for delivery in February and in March dropped 16 percent last week to $99 a pound on the New York Mercantile Exchange. ``The spot price is still very high, and maybe utilities are waiting for it to come down,'' said Ossi Koskivirta, nuclear fuel purchasing manager with Espoo, Finland-based Fortum Oyj. Koskivirta said spot prices will fall to $80 a pound. Still, mining companies will be ``very satisfied'' with sales at current prices as production costs at new mines are about $40 a pound, Koskivirta said. To contact the reporter on this story: Yuriy Humber in Moscow at yhumber@bloomberg.net Last Updated: August 13, 2007 08:23 EDT

Edited by SilentOne, 15 August 2007 - 10:06 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#12 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

Fighting the urge to bottom-pick in some of the U stocks....

#13 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Wondering if we're going to see CCJ head for the 32 area.

Posted Image

Below that and it should be whooosh into the 20s. These declines are leading to some good buys, in my opinion. Not saying the bottom is near, though, watching and waiting....

Doug

#14 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

hi doug,

I bought some NLR (amex) today, the new Nulcear Energy ETF. I'm looking at CCO.TO, but I want to see confirmation of a decent bottom before I buy any individual shares at this point. The ETFs seem like a good risk management tool right now.

The funny thing is today I got a trading alert late in the day. It was based on a price alert which is at least 2-3 years old. It informed me that STM.TO was above the trading price set at $1.75. Apparently the shares hit that level today and tiggered the alert. I had set that price alert level a long time ago as a breakout and buy point. Kind of ironic. <_<

Do not be surprised if you find today was the print low for the sector. Everything in the junior resource sector was sold hard recently and today was a fitting climax.

cheers,

john

Market Vectors–Nuclear Energy ETF Launched on American Stock Exchange
NLR Provides Investors with Access to a Portfolio of 38 Nuclear Energy Companies in Seven Industry Subsectors

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--New York-based asset manager Van Eck Global today launched Market Vectors–Nuclear Energy ETF (NLR), a new exchange-traded fund (ETF), on the American Stock Exchange (Amex). NLR is the first ETF listed in the U.S. that enables U.S. investors to gain exposure to a broad spectrum of companies involved in nuclear energy. Options are expected to be available on NLR.

The ETF seeks to replicate as closely as possible, before fees and expenses, the price and yield performance of the DAXglobal® Nuclear Energy Index (DXNE), a basket of the securities of 38 nuclear energy companies listed on global exchanges. The Index returned 45.2 percent and 30.8 percent over three- and five-years, respectively* and has a total market capitalization of approximately $110 billion.

NLR provides investors with a convenient, low cost means to gain diversified exposure to an industry that helps satisfy the world’s growing need for energy by supplying 16% of the world’s electricity supply and that has potential to double in size by 2030. NLR includes Cameco Corp., Paladin Resources Ltd., and other uranium miners as well as Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Kajima Corp., and other nuclear plant builders. Also represented in the Index are companies engaged in uranium enrichment and uranium storage, nuclear fuel transportation, nuclear energy generation and nuclear-related equipment. NLR companies generally derive at least 50% of their revenue from nuclear energy. NLR’s total net expense ratio is 0.65%.

“The world’s need for energy is expected to grow along with the global economy. If nuclear energy maintains its current share of world electricity production, the nuclear energy industry could double in size by 2030. If it increases its share, which we think is likely, it will grow even faster. We think nuclear energy will assume an increasingly important role as a source of alternative energy,” said Jan van Eck, Principal at Van Eck Global. “As the first ETF listed in the U.S. to target the global nuclear energy industry, we believe that NLR will appeal to investors looking for a convenient means to gain exposure to that industry.”

“The DAXglobal® Nuclear Energy Index was created to reflect the performance of the global nuclear energy industry,” said Angelika Weinfurtner of the Deutsche Börse AG. “We look forward to working with Van Eck to bring the Index before a wider audience through the introduction of Market Vectors–Nuclear Energy ETF.”

Founded in 1955, Van Eck Global was among the first U.S. money managers helping investors achieve greater diversification through global investing. The company managed over $6 billion in assets for individuals, insurers and institutional investors, as of July 31, 2007. NLR is the sixth ETF introduced under Van Eck’s Market Vectors brand. The other five are: Environmental Services (Amex: EVX), Global Alternative Energy (NYSE: GEX), Gold Miners (Amex: GDX), Russia (NYSE: RSX) and Steel (Amex: SLX). These ETFs have a total of over $1 billion in assets under management as of 7/31/2007.

The Fund is subject to various risks including those associated with making investments in nuclear energy companies such as restrictive regulations, accidents, breaches of security, ill-intentioned acts or terrorism, air crashes, natural disasters, equipment malfunctions or mishandling in storage, handling, transportation, treatment or conditioning of substances and nuclear materials.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. The returns of DXNE or of any index do not represent the performance of any ETF. DXNE does not charge any fees, including management fees or brokerage expenses, and no such fees or expenses were deducted from the performance described. You cannot invest directly in an index.

*All performance information for DXNE covering the period prior to July 16, 2007 is based on hypothetical, back-tested data. Prior to that date, the Index was not calculated in real time by an independent calculation agent. Hypothetical back-tested performance has inherent limitations and is not indicative of future results. No representation is being made that any investment will achieve performance similar to that shown.

Fund shares are not individually redeemable and will be issued and redeemed at their NAV only through certain authorized broker-dealers in large, specified blocks of shares called “creation units” and otherwise can be bought and sold only through exchange trading. Creation units are issued and redeemed principally in kind.

About Van Eck Global

The firm has a 50+ year tradition of offering global investment choices in hard assets, emerging markets, precious metals including gold, and other specialized asset classes. Van Eck Global’s investment products are designed for investors seeking innovative choices for portfolio diversification. They are often categorized in asset classes having returns with low correlations to those of more traditional U.S. equity and fixed income investments.

About Deutsche Börse AG

Deutsche Börse Group offers more than a marketplace for trading shares and other securities. It is a transaction services provider with advanced technology to afford companies and investors access to global capital markets.

Deutsche Börse has a broader basis than any of its competitors. Its product and services mix cover the entire process chain: securities and derivatives trading, transaction settlement, provision of market information as well as the development and operation of electronic trading systems. With its process-oriented business model, Deutsche Börse increases capital markets efficiency. Issuers benefit from low capital costs and investors enjoy the advantages of high liquidity and low transaction costs.

The DAXglobal® Nuclear Energy Index (DXNE) is a trademark of the Deutsche Börse AG which is licensed for use by Van Eck Associates Corporation in connection with NLR. Deutsche Börse neither sponsors nor endorses NLR and it makes no warranty or representation as to the accuracy and/or completeness of the Index or the results to be obtained by any person from the use of the Index in connection with the trading of NLR.

About the American Stock Exchange

The American Stock Exchange® (Amex®) offers trading across a full range of equities, options and exchange traded funds (ETFs), including structured products and HOLDRSSM. In addition to its role as a national equities market, the Amex is the pioneer of the ETF, responsible for bringing the first domestic product to market in 1993. Leading the industry in ETF listings, the Amex lists 337 ETFs to date. The Amex is also one of the largest options exchanges in the U.S., trading options on broad-based and sector indexes as well as domestic and foreign stocks.

Investors may call 1.888.MKT.VCTR or visit www.vaneck.com/etf for a free prospectus or for the performance information current to the most recent month end for each Market Vectors ETF. Investors should consider the investment objective, risks and charges and expenses carefully before investing. Each Market Vectors ETF prospectus contains this and other information. Please read the relevant prospectus carefully before investing. There are risks associated with investing including the possible loss of principal.

Van Eck Securities Corporation, Distributor, 99 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#15 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Posted Image

John: Do not be surprised if you find today was the print low for the sector. Everything in the junior resource sector was sold hard recently and today was a fitting climax.

Good point, John, and it certainly could be. Last three days have been amazing. I may have missed good entries today just because I was scared. I too want confirmation but maybe the market isn't going to be obliging on that score near the bottom. Got out too late, a couple weeks ago, but thank goodness and it feels odd to be mostly cash for the first time in 6 or 7 years.

So now while I'm waiting the darn market will probably rocket back up above where I sold. And while I'm feeling rather amateurish it's best that I just chill and take it easy. The markets will still be there later on.

I appreciate your consistent posting.

Best,

Doug

#16 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

hi doug,

I bought some NLR (amex) today, the new Nulcear Energy ETF.

I took profits on the position taken last Thursday.

Back to the bunker. :)

cheers,

john

Edited by SilentOne, 23 August 2007 - 12:25 PM.