Pit Bulls attack

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

I personally know 2 individuals who were seriously injured in separate pit bull attacks just this past year.
My daughter's very gentle golden retriever was nearly killed by one a few years ago.
These dogs should be banned. They are defended as loving pets by their owners, but they can be fatal to those they attack.
A small boy's face was ripped off by one here in Tulsa, a few years ago.
And recently, a 5 year old boy was killed by his grandmother's pit bull.
You can't own a lion or a bear in the city. Why these beasts?

GIG HARBOR, Wash. (AP) - Two pit bull terriers broke into a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.

The woman was able to grab a gun and try to shoot the dogs, then break away from the attack and lock herself in her car, where she called 911, sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said.
The woman, who was not immediately identified, was taken to a hospital in Tacoma, where she was listed in serious condition.

Officers planned to talk to the dogs' owner.
The pit bulls also killed a neighbor's Jack Russell terrier, which entered the house during the attack, Troyer said.
"The thought is that the Jack Russell heard noise in the neighbor's house, came in and was attacked by the dogs," Troyer said.

Firefighters responded first, locking the dogs in the house, treating the woman and calling for an ambulance.
Officers "had to pepper spray and fight the dogs until they were detained. We almost had to shoot them on site," Troyer said.

The dogs were taken to a Humane Society and will probably be destroyed, he said.
It was not immediately known why the dogs entered the house, whether the woman had dogs of her own or what set off the attack.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 22 August 2007 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

I wonder why Michael Vick used pit bulls to fight with?
I thought they were friendly, loving, family dogs. <_<

Michael Vick's 53 pit bulls to be killed.
Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and agreed to testify against him if the case went to trial. They said Vick provided virtually all the gambling and operating funds for the Bad Newz Kennels enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs by various means, including drowning and hanging.

The locations of the shelters holding the dogs haven't been disclosed out of concern that the animals could be stolen, Nachminovitch said.

"They are a hot commodity in the world of dogfighting,"

I can't figure that out. Hmmm.
Guess they don't have the same temperament as Lassie?

Edited by Rogerdodger, 22 August 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#3 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

The problem with banning a single breed of dog is that it won't stop with pit bulls . Rottweilers ,Dobermans, and German Shepherds would probably be next .Mastiffs , Bulldogs , and Boxers would likely be banned . I don't think Jack Russell terriers would fare very well either with these folks . FWIW , my vet says the meanest , most aggressive dog he has ever had to deal with was an uncut male Black Labrador Retriever . The way to deal with these dogs is to get serious with the owners of the dogs. Make them criminally liable for the dogs that are not kept enclosed and set forth laws on the treatment of the dogs. I still see wrongheaded folks chaining dogs to a spike in the ground with a short leash and not providing adequate shelter . The penalty for raising roosters , pit bulls, or what not for bloodsport should be felony level and involve property seizure as well as jail time and monetary fines. The problem is not the dogs but the OWNERS !

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Another attack today:
(TULSA, Okla.) September 19 - A woman is back home from the hospital after being attacked by a pit bull and two other dogs.
Police tell us she was walking down the street when all three came after her. She was bitten by one of them, and had to get stitches.
“I’ve got a friend around the block who bought a gun because she couldn’t go in her backyard the dogs behind her would come over her fence,” said Susan Nicholson.
“My son loves to play in the yard and can’t do that scared to death,” said Shannon Marshall.
Workers at the Tulsa Animal Control Office confirmed that a dog bit another person in the West Tulsa neighborhood in May, but it’s unclear if the same dogs were involved in that case.

(PS: My neighbor who was attacked this spring by a pit bull is now able to walk.
I saw him walking his dog last week and he said now he carries a cane, pepper spray and a pistol...
Just to walk his dog.) <_<

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 September 2007 - 09:36 PM.

#5 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

I have to agree with colours. Yes, certain breeds of dogs have a tendency towards aggression. This behaviour trait has been bred INTO the dogs on purpose, by puppymill breeders and dog fanciers alike. And it's stupid. But they can be trained, and of course, not wanting to *specially profile* a breed of dog, some pit bulls are quite gentle. The problem is the owners of vicious dogs (not just pit bulls). Shoot the owners first, then the dog. And like any potentially dangerous weapon, such as a gun or a car, you should have to have a license and training before owning a potentially dangerous animal. Period.

#6 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

..... you should have to have a license and training before owning a potentially dangerous animal. Period.

H'mmmmm, ---

" WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA."

which is the dangerous animal, WOMEN or CATS ? or both?
:cat:
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#7 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

..... you should have to have a license and training before owning a potentially dangerous animal. Period.

H'mmmmm, ---

" WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA."

which is the dangerous animal, WOMEN or CATS ? or both?
:cat:

Female cats? :numchuk:

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

I was gonna post about an Oklahoma woman who was killed by a pack of pit bulls,
but it looks like quite a few attacks lately, as usual:

Oklahoma Woman is Killed by a Pack of Stray Dogs October 16, 2007
ADA — A woman was mauled to death by a pack of dogs Monday as she walked down her driveway to check the mail, officials said.
Rosalie Bivins, 65, died after a pack of dogs attacked her as she used a walker to make her way to the mailbox.
..."I thought that dog was going to jump through the window at me," Newby said.
Then he took a shot, killing one of the dogs and scattering the rest, he said.

Pit Bull Attacks Mother, Daughter, 2 Teens NBC5.com October 16, 2007
JOLIET, Ill -- A growling pit bull on the loose attempted to maul four people Monday afternoon in the 1000 block of Woodruff Road in southwest suburban Joliet.A 6-year-old girl and her 28-year-old mother got the brunt of the first attack.
"They (the teens) would beat the dog down and the dog would jump right back up," Harris said. "Those kids are only alive through the grace of God."

4 pit bulls attack woman
Augusta Chronicle (subscription), GA - 16 hours ago

A third dog is under observation by animal control, and officials from Augusta Animal Services are still searching the area for the fourth pit bull, ...

Whodunnit? The pit bull, maybe
News Leader, FL - Oct 15, 2007
By Joe Palmer, For the News-Leader A woman was recently mauled to death by pit bull dogs. The howling started immediately. First came the ban-them-all crowd ...

Pit bull attacks parole agent in Newark
San Jose Mercury News, USA - Oct 10, 2007
By Ben Aguirre Jr. NEWARK - An on-duty parole agent trying to make contact with a parolee was attacked by a pit bull this morning, prompting the agent to ...

Senator would support local pit bull ban
Chicago Suburban News, IL - Oct 15, 2007
"There has been increased discussion concerning the banning of pit bulls outright, because of the number of egregious and sometimes fatal pit bull attacks ...

AMEN! YOU GOT MY VOTE SENATOR!

"But they are really sweet and make great pets" - Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy :giljotiini:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 16 October 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

As I was posting this tonight, the local TV station featured a story about a Tulsa man who was hospitalized after being attacked today while raking leaves in his own backyard!
His neighbor's pit bull.

The owner was really upset that the city wanted to remove her dog!
But she signed away ownership to avoid lengthy jail time.
It was the 5th or 6th complaint on this dog.
She can get another one tomorrow, before her neighbor gets out of the hospital. <_<

"But they are really sweet and make great pets" - Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy :giljotiini:

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

Man Attacked By 3 Pit Bulls In S.E. OKC
November 16, 2007
OKLAHOMA CITY -- A man was attacked by several pit bulls in southeast Oklahoma City on Thursday, police said.Three dogs attacked the man, police said, near Southeast 51st Street and Interstate 35. Witnesses said they drove up to the intersection and started honking their horns in hopes the dogs would stop.

LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 17 November 2007 - 07:17 PM.