10 replies to this topic

#1 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

The royal road to riches:

Worthless diet - Fat celebrity - Women's mags - Daytime TV - Celebrity 'news'

A study on one of the largest commercial weight-loss programs was just published in the International Journal of Obesity but has been ignored by the press. Understandably, a major media campaign and flurry of press releases have not trumpeted its findings.

Researchers at four major research centers across the country followed 60,164 adults enrolled in the Jenny Craig Platinum program in 2001-2002 to evaluate how long people were able to stick with this program and how much weight they lost.

They found that a quarter dropped out the first month, 42% after 3 months, 22% after 6 months, and only 6.6% were able to stick with the program for a year.

Unlike Kirstie Alley, the weight loss among people not being paid as celebrity spokespersons was considerably less notable. For a 200 pound woman able to keep with the program an entire year, according to this study, she would have lost half a pound a week....except fewer than 7 out of 100 were able to hang in for a full year. Hardly winning endorsement for the success and palatability of the program.

Indeed, a government review found that two-thirds of American dieters regained all the weight they had lost within a year, and 97% had gained it all back within five years.

Among the charges the FTC specifically made against Jenny Craig was that it “falsely represented that the advertised prices were the only costs associated with the programs....also deceptively failed to adequately disclose additional mandatory expenses.” The FTC added allegations that “Jenny Craig represented without adequate supporting evidence that nine out of 10 customers would recommend the Jenny Craig program to a friend, and represented that it had surveys backing up that claim, when it did not.” They were ordered to have scientific data to back up any future about weight loss and maintenance and to disclose in their advertising or to any consumers who inquire by phone all fees and costs of the additional products or services in the programs. There is no evidence that the FTC action has resulted in any changes.

Jenny Craig International is one of the corporate sponsors of the lobby group, American Obesity Association, along with Weight Watchers International, Inc., Slim Fast Foods Company, pharmaceutical companies and Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc (a bariatric surgical supplier). As discussed here, these organizations, along with insurers and major employers, are also part of the National Business Group on Health. These groups lobbied to get obesity declared a “disease,” pushed for weight loss products to be tax-deductible (in other words, subsidized by taxpayer dollars) and market the “costs of obesity.”

http://junkfoodscien...rcial-diet.html
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

two-thirds of American dieters regained all the weight they had lost within a year, and 97% had gained it all back within five years.

Maybe they are not standing up enough!
See my stand up post.

Because of recurrent nightime GERD, I stopped eating night time snacks.
My GERD was relieved without medication AND I've trimmed off some fat.

Night time GERD video.

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:55 AM

all diets "fail" Only individual people succeed. God helps those who help themselves. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#4 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

Jenny Craig has fired actress Kirstie Alley as their spokeswoman because she hasn’t been able to keep thin.

http://deceiver.com/...ting-fat-again/

Oprah Is Fat Again

http://www.inoutstar...Again-5705.html
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Diets don't work. Lifestyles work. If it's not easy for you to maintain, you're not going to do it. Food is too much of a hard wired pleasure. Folks who are obese need more than Jenny or WW. They need to learn how good healthy food is and they need to learn how good they can feel with just a bit of exercise. I am very pleased at how much weight has fallen off over the past few months that I've been doing more physical labor. I'm eating more and losing weight. Not only that, but I can have more of those carbs that I've largely eschewed. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

Simple rules: Average person needs 10 calories per pound per day. Ideal weight is unknown, but any BMI or standard weight chart gives you a pretty wide range based on height. Shoot for somewhere in the middle. Spread those 10 calories out between proteins, carbs, fats, etc. Basically, you know, what you LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN. Exercise is important. Ideally, you should burn around 300 calories per work out, minimum 3 times per week. More if you just like to do it. A balanced diet provides all the minerals and vitamins you need. Additional randomly chosen "supplements" are a waste, a scam and are not backed up by ANY scientific evidence. Laughing burns more calories than worrying. I've thought about writing a diet book, but unfortunately what I just told you is all you need to know. The fact that is so simple annoys people. They are so convinced that it has to be more complicated, that they ignore this advise and waste time, money and effort on expensive diets, misguided information, and self loathing and despair when their initial wrong assumption turns out wrong, so they feel it must be their "Fault" or they "did it wrong". Hope this helps.

Edited by maineman, 05 June 2008 - 07:26 AM.

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

MM, they don't even need what you just wrote. Your body really knows what it needs if you get in touch with it and listen to it. Unfortunately, most folks, myself included are too busy or distracted to synchronize with their bodies. So, some guidelines help, though obsessing on them doesn't at all.

I will agree that RANDOM supplements aren't going to get one much more than poorer most of the time, BUT, your blanket assertion is overbroad. Suppliments are clearly beneficial in certain contexts.

Are you breaking out a lot? take zinc and watersoluable A. You're probably deficient for one reason or another. If you want to test it, use the digital camera.

Feeling whiped out consistently around your period? Maybe an iron supplement for two weeks makes the difference for you.

Will you be working on or around old paint, by all means take an iron and a calcium supplement every day for a while prior and during the project. This will prevent lead uptake if you're at all deficient.

During the winter, or if you're not getting any sun, vitamin D has all sorts of data supporting its use--just don't overdo it. You don't need much and too much is not good.

During times of high stress, say the holidays or a family member's illness, take a smattering of B-complex, C, D, Zinc or even a multi or two. You are likely going to eat poorly and one might suspect the stress will create differential needs for certain vitamins. Plus, you're likely to be subjected to all sorts of germs, so you want to make sure your immune system and body has everything it needs. Obviously a bit of lead time is better than trying to play catch up.

Are most supplements a waste? Yes. In fact, most of the above will be wasted, but in all probability not all. It's a cheap insurance policy.

Mark

Simple rules:
Average person needs 10 calories per pound per day.
Ideal weight is unknown, but any BMI or standard weight chart gives you a pretty wide range based on height. Shoot for somewhere in the middle.
Spread those 10 calories out between proteins, carbs, fats, etc. Basically, you know, what you LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN.
Exercise is important. Ideally, you should burn around 300 calories per work out, minimum 3 times per week. More if you just like to do it.
A balanced diet provides all the minerals and vitamins you need. Additional randomly chosen "supplements" are a waste, a scam and are not backed up by ANY scientific evidence.
Laughing burns more calories than worrying.

I've thought about writing a diet book, but unfortunately what I just told you is all you need to know.

The fact that is so simple annoys people. They are so convinced that it has to be more complicated, that they ignore this advise and waste time, money and effort on expensive diets, misguided information, and self loathing and despair when their initial wrong assumption turns out wrong, so they feel it must be their "Fault" or they "did it wrong".

Hope this helps.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#8 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

kind of like adding some STP or gunk-out to the old car. Might help, can't hurt, eh? Sounds good, anyway. Heck, its just your body and your life we're talking about..... mm

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Right. We should trust you and rely upon the safety of large numbers of statistics rather than the reasonable data and just in case contextual "overkill". Trust that you'll be healthy because most folks are with just a normal healthy diet, most of the time, even though small steps with minimal costs and less risks might make an important difference. There are reasons why some people live when the experts say they ought to be dead. It's all great to rely upon statistical likelihoods (and little insight) until it's your butt on the line. What's REALLY amusing is that most folks have little or no idea of what a really good and balanced diet is, and if they did, they probably can't remember what they ate for the week in order to determine that they're eating it! D'ya think that there's a reason why my parents are healthier smarter and alive far longer than their parents? Hint, it's not just the new knees and hips. I'm also a bit annoyed at the dismissive tone. There's some (and in some cases a LOT of) data to suggest that these ideas aren't a bad call. In fact, there IS evidence and STRONG evidence to support them. Just because most folks are fine most of the time doesn't mean that many folks aren't a significant part of the time, nor that their diet may need some help. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it smacks of self delusion through the use of statistics. Heck you probably think life insurance is a waste, too. :lol:

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#10 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

Well, sorry for how you feel that I sound. FWIW I did not quote any statistics, but would be happy to. My point, simple as it was, is that healthy eating is A. simple B. not complicated C. easy to do Randomly chosen "supplements" off the shelf are rarely useful and people choose them NOT based on statistics, but by word of mouth, or "testimonials" or because someone somewhere said something.... or whatever. But for those who appreciate science and the quest for logic, there is quantifiable data available for you to peruse. If something is found to be scientifically useful, we use it. If not, we discard it. This data is public, not secret nor is it part of some great med/pharm conspiracy to "suppress" information. Iron is a good example. It can be measured several ways in your blood. If you have enough, you have enough. If your levels are low, it is crucial to determine WHY before starting an off the shelf iron replacement. Men should NEVER be low on iron. If they are, a rigorous search for an occult tumor, bleeding diathesis, ulcers, illness, medication interaction, etc. should be undertaken at once. Iron overload, or hemochromatosis, is a deadly disease with horrible complications like cirrhosis of the liver and cardiomyopathy. We are seeing more of it all the time due to self-medicating with over the counter iron. That's just one example. All of the research on vitamins, minerals, supplements, etc. is available for your review. Excellent sources are Harvard (Mass General) and the School of Alternative Health, the Mayo Clinic and the Cleaveland Clinic. These 3 are among the top research spots on herbs, vitamins, etc. My point about the body is that we/I take it very seriously. No guessing when it comes to health. Did not mean to sound off-ish, only meant to be informative and helpful. I am truly sorry. mm