• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#11 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

Well, sorry for how you feel that I sound. FWIW I did not quote any statistics, but would be happy to. My point, simple as it was, is that healthy eating is
A. simple
B. not complicated
C. easy to do

Randomly chosen "supplements" off the shelf are rarely useful and people choose them NOT based on statistics, but by word of mouth, or "testimonials" or because someone somewhere said something.... or whatever.

But for those who appreciate science and the quest for logic, there is quantifiable data available for you to peruse. If something is found to be scientifically useful, we use it. If not, we discard it. This data is public, not secret nor is it part of some great med/pharm conspiracy to "suppress" information.

Iron is a good example. It can be measured several ways in your blood. If you have enough, you have enough. If your levels are low, it is crucial to determine WHY before starting an off the shelf iron replacement. Men should NEVER be low on iron. If they are, a rigorous search for an occult tumor, bleeding diathesis, ulcers, illness, medication interaction, etc. should be undertaken at once.

Iron overload, or hemochromatosis, is a deadly disease with horrible complications like cirrhosis of the liver and cardiomyopathy. We are seeing more of it all the time due to self-medicating with over the counter iron.

See, that's dropping the context. Firstly, most people don't get tested before they go to work remodeling their parent's (for instance). They just go to work. Now, we know that unless that house is built after 1980, it probably has lead paint in it that may be disturbed. We KNOW that lead is taken up when one's diet is mineral deficient. We also know that men aren't likely to over dose on modest amount of iron around time of a remodeling project. We also know that iron deficiency is common among women. Now, you do the math and tell me if it's smarter to rely upon diet alone in this context, or to take <$1 worth of iron over few weeks. The same with calcium. BTW, if a woman is pregnant, or thinks she may be, or may get pregnant soon in this context, I'd say it's IRRESPONSIBLE to NOT encourage taking iron and calcium prior to and during any DIY project, OR if her husband or SO is at all likely to be working with lead paint. Just do it. Worry about diet too, but don't take a chance! Don't over do it, certainly, but modest supplementation is not only OK, but proper, good, wise, and may perhaps prevent tragic consequences. Or you could just rely upon diet or folks ability to recognize a good diet when they eat it (or not), and hope that they have nothing else going on that might cause a deficiency.

That's just one example.

It is, and I just showed that it's applying the general and ignoring the specific. I agree, RANDOM supplementation is silly or worse, contextual is another matter entirely. I think it's great to be deliberate about what consumes. I also think that it's important to recognize that supplements can be dangerous and are often useless. Often doesn't mean always, however.

Further, in the age of obesity, stupidity, ignornance, and fast paced lifestyles and short attentionspans, I think as a practical matter, it is unwise to rely upon diet alone for nutritional sufficiency in all contexts.

And I'm sorry if I went off on you, too. I probably over-reacted. I hope you know me well enough to forgive my tone.

Mark
(lead-safe and proud of it)

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter