Nat. Gas

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

• Traders-Talk User
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

Charts don't often look this appealing...
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$NATGAS&p=W&st=1994-05-01&i=p82607364126&a=156126985&r=880.png

A pullback to test the breakout would be just about perfect.
http://stockcharts.c...53256&r=552.png

#2 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

Charts don't often look this appealing...

Amen Mike

I am getting ready to load up the truck. And thanks for the great chart work. :)

Best to you.
Peace
johngeorge

#3 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

I'm with you guys. Added some UNG early yesterday to my existing positions taken in recent weeks. Avg. cost is $14.49 My position size is still less than half of what it may end up being...but we'll see My intention right now is to hold this as a multi-month to multi-year investment
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#4 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

right this minute, this looks like the best vehicle to me. oversold diverging. nice work mike dharma

#5 Getting-Smarter

Getting-Smarter

• Traders-Talk User
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

right this minute, this looks like the best vehicle to me. oversold diverging. nice work mike
dharma

I was also looking at UNG, based off a monthly chart but read this. Is there a way to confirm that the UNG fund lost approval to buy Long dated futures on NG?

http://www.growthsto...e.com/index.asp

Print Edition | Whitelist Us | Also visit: DailyWealth
July 18, 2009
Weekend Edition
The Best of The S&A Digest

John Paulson is arguably the best money manager of all time. His hedge fund, Paulson & Co., made roughly $20 billion in profit over the last three years alone. He was paid around $5 billion over the period.

I, on the other hand, am merely a dirty scribbler. I work far from the soaring towers of midtown Manhattan. I earn nothing like the wages of the financial titans of the hedge-fund world. But every now and then... I end up putting my readers into the same positions held by the world's best investors.

Last year, Paulson's two biggest trades were long the Anheuser-Busch/InBev merger and shorting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. As any reader of my newsletter knows, those were my two biggest bets last year, too. The trend doesn't stop last year, either...

John Paulson is now the largest investor in my latest PSIA recommendation. While I can't give this stock away yet, I can tell you it's a classic special situation. Forced liquidation of the common stock pushed this company's shares to a ridiculously cheap level. I expect you can conservatively make between three and five times your investment in the next three years – with almost no downside risk.

As I told my readers last week, this is the best recommendation I've had in three years. And I'm advising my readers to put up to 25% of their investment assets into this one stock – something I haven't done since I first recommended Anheuser-Busch in 2006. Click here for more on how to access my latest recommendation.

Intel, the world's largest computer-chip manufacturer, announced better-than-expected sales today. The company posted $8.02 billion in revenue for the quarter, besting the $7.28 billion Wall Street projection.

Intel also projected sales of $8.5 billion (plus or minus $500 million) for the third quarter, much better than the $7.8 billion Wall Street estimate. This is a sign the global economy is stronger than most people think.

When I first wrote about credit-card giant Capital One in the April 2008 PSIA, the company's U.S. credit card chargeoff rate was a little more than 4%. I predicted losses would soar to 10% in the next 18 months...

This week, Capital One announced its annualized chargeoff rate for U.S. credit cards – debts the company never expects to collect – hit 9.73% in June, up from 9.41% in May. Chargeoffs for U.S. auto loans rose to 3.89% from 3.2%, and the delinquency rate increased to 8.89%.

The U.S. Natural Gas Fund failed to get regulatory approval to issue new shares. So it can't buy more long natural gas contracts... right at a time when investors are interested in buying hard assets. The fund has grown sixfold since March.

Citigroup says the fund accounts for one-third to one-half of all the gas contracts traded on NYMEX and ICE, possibly propping up gas prices.

Because investors want the fund, but it can't buy more gas contracts, the fund's price has disconnected from natural gas. On Wednesday, for example, the fund dropped 2.3%, much less than natural gas futures dropped.

In their infinite wisdom, the regulators have restricted the market and possibly set up an arbitrage opportunity. Theoretically speaking at least, it appears you might be able to sell short the natural gas fund and go long the futures and collect the spread.

According to the Investment Company Institute, commodity ETFs have grown 63% since the end of 2008, to $58.2 billion in assets.

I was in New York City this week for meetings with several major publishers. Their magazines are tanking. Ad sales are down 50% from last year. BusinessWeak is for sale. The bid is $1 (no kidding). The entire ad-based business model for mainstream financial publishers is failing. They're dying. And they can't understand why my business continues to grow.

They don't seem to understand the world has changed: People can get their information from millions of sources now. They don't trust big publishers (and they shouldn't), who have been serving big business instead of their readers for decades.

I keep telling these guys, you have to be honest with your readers. You have to publish something that's valuable, unique, and useful. They don't get it. And they won't until it's far too late.

Regards,

S&A Research

Stansberry & Associates produces the daily S&A Digest, which comes free with a subscription to one of our premium products. To learn more about a risk-free trial subscription click here.

S&P 500
Gannett GCI +42.95%
American Intl Group AIG +34.49%
Whirlpool WHR +27.73%

Countries
Turkey TKF +12.69%
Russia RSX +11.57%
Canada EWC +10.98%

Sectors
Homebuilding ITB +11.93%
Clean Energy PBW +10.87%
Basic Materials IYM +10.81%

Commodities
Nickel - +8.08%
Copper - +7.77%
Natural Gas - +7.63%

Are You Age 62 or Older?

If so, you may be eligible for a unique U.S. government program that can potentially give you $1,500 or more per month for retirement.

There are no income requirements... and it doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank. The U.S. government says 112,149 Americans participated last year.

Recipient Leslie Rhodes told the Los Angeles Times: "I would never do this without the government behind it. This is a way for people to grow older and it's not a hardship on anyone."

Click here for more details...

S&P 500
CIT Group CIT -77.96%
Humana HUM -5.93%
Yum Brands YUM -3.36%

Countries
Chile CH +0.58%
Japan EWJ +0.87%
Ireland IRL +2.01%

Sectors
Health Care IYH +3.53%
Food PBJ +3.71%
Telecom IYZ +3.77%

Commodities
Soybeans - -8.55%
Corn - -4.44%
Lead - -0.33%
Source: Bloomberg, Yahoo, StockCharts, XLQ 7/9–7/16.

How Gov't Bureaucrat Charles Barber Will Save Your Retirement

A little-known lifetime bureaucrat named Charles Barber, while working for the U.S. Treasury Department...

Has created the perfect way to protect and grow your wealth in the coming years.

As Michigan resident Kenneth Figgs recently reported: "Everything else has bombed, but [this] investment has more than doubled."

Full report explains complete details...

The S&A Guide to Options Trading

#6 Mike

Mike

• Traders-Talk User
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

Getting-smarter, without issuing new shares UNG will perform like a closed end fund, e.g., CEF. Buy when the premium is low. That said, why did you post all that garbage and mess up this thread? -MK

#7 Getting-Smarter

Getting-Smarter

• Traders-Talk User
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Getting-smarter, without issuing new shares UNG will perform like a closed end fund, e.g., CEF. Buy when the premium is low.

That said, why did you post all that garbage and mess up this thread?

-MK

I posted the article and link. Sorry, thought it was relevant for those that didnt know that about the UNG fund being discussed. Ill go back to my hole and lurking.

#8 Lysis

Lysis

• Traders-Talk User
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

Until UNG reaches 11 1/2 it's still not a "bargain."

#9 dasg

dasg

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

Am playing this upl, which has nat gas component in case the market likes oil and gas stocks but not nat gas pure play. thoughts? best, DG

#10 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

DG

UPL looks like a winner to me. I am presently in UYM and decided to stay with it, as you note in UPL, UYM also has a natgas component.

Best to you.

http://stockcharts.c...0876&r=5191.png

http://stockcharts.c...40562&r=241.png

http://stockcharts.c...0562&r=8489.png
Peace
johngeorge