12 replies to this topic

#1 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

This is the most eye popping part;

English said roughly half of the patients presenting at the hospital showed symptoms of influenza, with about 57 percent of the patients who were tested having swine flu.
LINK

This does sound like an epidemic to me, the comments welcome...

I wonder the 9/11 of this bear market will come from the swing flu.

#2 goldswinger

goldswinger

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

English said roughly half of the patients presenting at the hospital showed symptoms of influenza, with about 57 percent of the patients who were tested having swine flu.
LINK

Pandemic!!

#3 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

If the strain doesn't get stronger. The disease itself won't be that bad a deal healthwise. The fear is much worse than the disease. If it starts spreading around November/December, the economic affect it will have on the already tottering retail sector, film and tourism will, of course, be devastating. If, with this round, the strain becomes more intense like some are thinking may happen, "Katie bar the doors."

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#4 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

The hype is much worse than the flu. I've known several people who have already had it. They were over it in 2 days. It seems to be good for business as there was a huge line at Costco for people getting shots.

#5 tradermama

tradermama

• Traders-Talk User
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

LINK

My concern is how the media is playing this...down playing that is..or perhaps I should say the CDC.

They make it sound like it wouldn't be that bad..no worse than the flu..with a few exceptions.

Let me tell you this, we had the first death in Osceola county (near Orlando), one of my daughter's best friends died in July from the Swine Flu.

She was perfectly healthy. She went in for a feeling of heaviness in the chest with a high fever. She started out with a cold just a few days before.

They diagnosed her with pneumonia gave her pills and sent her home.

She came back within 12 hrs complaining of pressure and pain in the chest. They kept her in the hospital for a week inducing her in a coma. While my daughter was visiting her, I told her something doesn't make sense and asked her if she was checked for swine flu. ..she wasn't! I said, why are they inducing her into a coma and not checking her for swine flu? My kid is only 24 and she just said, "I dont know" but of course, it wasn't her place to ask.

Within a week she was dead..a week before she was totally fine. This was fast and swift and totally irresponsible of the hospital..which is being investigated.

Fortunately, my daughter was checked for swine flu, given Tamiflu and she was fine..but the other members of this girl's family did have it too. The point is, we only hear right now of a few deaths but no one can tell us why it happens to healthy people..the devil imo is in the details to these death..and from what I understand, those that have died from it ..seems to start out with pneumonia...at least the ones I have read about. This girl was only 27.

This is deadly no matter what the CDC or media is conveying. Anyone who comes down with pneumonia with fever should not hesitate to go to the doctor and insist on being tested. It still hurts to know this was such an unnecesary death when all they had to do was test her for swine flu.

#6 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

but no one can tell us why it happens to healthy people..

Well, if swine flu is what she had,she died because they misdiagnosed it and did not medicate her accurately. You could die of any influenza or pneumonia, if proper medication isn't given. People used to die from those diseases all the time before proper medications were developed.

As far as ancedotals go, my 12 year old niece contracted it as did others in her school in suburban D.C., McClean, VA. They gave her tamiflu and she was fine in a week. My brother and his wife were also given tamiflu as a precaution and told to stay home for a few days.

Edited by milbank, 25 September 2009 - 01:31 PM.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

#7 tradermama

tradermama

• Traders-Talk User
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Well, if swine flu is what she had,she died because they misdiagnosed it and did not medicate her accurately. You could die of any influenza or pneumonia, if proper medication isn't given. People used to die from those diseases all the time before proper medications were developed.

As far as ancedotals go, my 12 year old niece contracted it as did others in her school in suburban D.C., McClean, VA. They gave her tamiflu and she was fine in a week. My brother and his wife were also given tamiflu as a precaution and told to stay home for a few days.

They did an autopsy on her ..it was conclusive to have been swine flu. I know you can die of flu and pneumonia but again, this was quick and it happened to a young healthy person..and they induced her into a coma immediately..all within a week. She had to be in a coma at least 5 days before she died.

With swine flu publicly known, one would assume they would test her for that. I have heard with other deaths of similar nature...pnemonia and with healthy people..killing them fast...at least the ones here in Florida. This is serious and not to be taken lightly. Or I guess when it happens to people you know, I guess one would take it more seriously. We have.

#8 tradermama

tradermama

• Traders-Talk User
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

They did an autopsy on her ..it was conclusive to have been swine flu. I know you can die of flu and pneumonia but again, this was quick and it happened to a young healthy person..and they induced her into a coma immediately..all within a week. She had to be in a coma at least 5 days before she died.

With swine flu publicly known, one would assume they would test her for that. I have heard with other deaths of similar nature...pnemonia and with healthy people..killing them fast...at least the ones here in Florida. This is serious and not to be taken lightly. Or I guess when it happens to people you know, I guess one would take it more seriously. We have. If she was tested immediately and given the Tamiflu she would still be here most likely.

#9 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

With swine flu publicly known, one would assume they would test her for that.

I has assumed from what you said, they did not diagnose or did not bother to consider swine flu in the young woman. My condolences to you, your daughter and your daughter's friend's family on your loss. I should have said this in my earlier post and appologize for not doing so.

--George Bernard Shaw

#10 tradermama

tradermama

• Traders-Talk User
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

With swine flu publicly known, one would assume they would test her for that.

I has assumed from what you said, they did not diagnose or did not bother to consider swine flu in the young woman. My condolences to you, your daughter and your daughter's friend's family on your loss. I should have said this in my earlier post and appologize for not doing so.

You assume correctly. Thank you..no need to apologize..it's just that I do want people not to play it down. It is so easy to think ..it's just a cold..and you wait..and then you give perhaps information the doctor that they may take it lightly..but no matter, they should know by now to test for this..My daughter was freaked out in the middle of the night when a text came to all her friends from a family member that she passed. We rushed over to her condo to try and console her. It was a shock..I'm still in shock that this happened and angry when I knew she should have been tested. NO one thought she would die. She had 3 heart attacks while they were trying to save her. The poor kid.