35 replies to this topic

#11 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

simple thought experiment..

Paul owns a $100 bill.

Tim owns a piece of paper he says is worth $100.

Total amount of 'value' in the world is $200.

Tim sells Paul the piece of paper for $100.

Paul now owns the piece of paper and Tim the $100 bill.

Total amount of 'value' in the world is $200.

Ben is a central banker and says he will buy Paul's paper for $100, which Paul accepts.

Now Ben holds the piece of paper but there is still $200 in the world, but all in cash. Ben holds the piece of paper.

It seems like Ben made the world have $300 in the world, but this is not the case unless someone else can create money and buy that paper off Ben. No one else can, so there is only $200 in the world. Unless Ben decides to give it to Paul or Tim for free.

Initially, in your experiment the world had a $100 bill and $100 dollar worth paper. To purchase the $100 paper, Ben printed $100. Now effectively after the transaction, the world has a $200 in cash and $100 in paper. There's more cash in the system than what existed before the transaction. I am not sure what is so complicated in this simple transaction to understand that Ben printed money.

MikeyG is spot on. Ben is financing the out of control U.S govt in a indirect fashion with euphemisms like QE. Plain terms like money printing will spook the common man.

:lighten:

Edited by NAV, 05 December 2010 - 09:22 PM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#12 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

US will have to find some new ways to grow and probably, the Asian countries do not have the infrastructure yet to compete in nano-technology and microbiology, but of course, I am probably ignorant...

#13 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

http://www.cbsnews.c...ch/?id=7120553n
vitaminm

#14 TradingUp

TradingUp

• Traders-Talk User
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Has any body else noticed... the top tick of today's S&P overnight futures was at 7 p.m. ET, the exact moment when the Bernank started to vomit on 60 Mins?

#15 TradingUp

TradingUp

• Traders-Talk User
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

simple thought experiment..

Paul owns a $100 bill.

That's just it.. there's your problem right there. "Paul" DOESN'T own a $100 bill. He had to print one!

#16 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

What you guys are failing to understand is that the central bank is an outside entity. You need to put a firewall between what they do vs. what the world does.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#17 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

What you guys are failing to understand is that the central bank is an outside entity. You need to put a firewall between what they do vs. what the world does.

You sound like a propaganda machine for Ben/Fed :lol:

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#18 TradingUp

TradingUp

• Traders-Talk User
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

That's exactly right. The central bank is separated by a firewall of understanding about what's happening on the other side. It's a pity that what they do somehow finds its way over/under/around the firewall, isn't it?

#19 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

You sound like a propaganda machine for Ben/Fed :lol:

Do you think if I publically praise him, he will fly over and drop off a crate of money for me? :lol:
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#20 TradingUp

TradingUp

• Traders-Talk User
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

Do you think if I publically praise him, he will fly over and drop off a crate of money for me? :lol:

Sorry, I didn't get the joke.