Ambien helps stroke victim

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

This is an amazing story shown last night on Rock Center.
Sam had "Catastrophic" brain damage from major brain strokes.
He was left in a coma and later a vegetative state
Ambian turned out to be their Miracle Drug, allowing Sam to talk again
!
No doctors will approve of it's use as yet since there have been few studies.
Only about 10% of victims may be helped.

Sam's most recent video:
http://www.bing.com/...a3777c40246||||

Story:
http://www.bing.com/...-victim/6y9rbzc

Zolpidem (Ambien) may provide short-lasting but effective improvement in symptoms of aphasia present in some survivors of stroke. The mechanism for improvement in these cases remains unexplained and is the focus of current research by several groups, to explain how a drug which acts as a hypnotic-sedative in people with normal brain function, can paradoxically increase speech ability in people recovering from severe brain injury. Use of zolpidem for this application remains experimental at this time, and is not officially approved by any pharmaceutical manufacturers of zolpidem or medical regulatory agencies worldwide.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 December 2011 - 11:01 AM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

Today I was reflecting on this story, comparing it to my sister-in-law's massive brain damage from a motorcycle accident (no helmet) and my own experience when dreaming. Have you ever dreamed that you needed to shout or yell when sleeping and yet you couldn't, so you keep trying until you actually do? Sam's "moaning" in the original story above sounded much like the noise I make when having that dream. He said he was aware of what people around him were saying but was unable to respond to them. What is it that paralyzes us when we sleep, but releases us when we awaken? It's almost as if Ambian is turning that switch on somehow. (MRI scans showed increased blood flow to the brain after taking the medicine.) His updated video seemed to show dramatic improvement from the first video. I wonder if the drug has helped his brain find that switch itself. My unresponsive sister-in-law was put in a body bag at the accident site until a passing nurse heard her moan. After brain surgery to remove the blood clot, she was unconscious in intensive care for weeks on a ventilator, critical rehab for months more, a nursing home for her 30th birthday, a group home for a couple of years, and now at 51 she lives on her own, drives wherever she wants and her only obvious disability is impaired use of her right arm, and unfortunately her old personality is back. :D My wife and I planned on telling her that she was a nun and got hit by a truck. But that didn't go over too well.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 December 2011 - 12:52 AM.