• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

Video Gaming vs. Professional Sports on TV 

A common complaint I hear from parents is that their kids spend too much time in front of a PC or their smartphones playing video or computer games. I agree. But it dawns on me that many parents are being hypocritical. I mean, if you are the parent and you are a big TV watcher or you watch pro sports, and actually care about who wins that pro sports game, then you might not be any better than your kid who plays video games. I think computer and video games are a total waste of time.

I think professional sports are a total waste of time. I know anything on TV is a waste of time… Hand held games are this generation’s “TV.”

An even bigger waste of time is politics, where “kabuki theater” and sports are combined to steal trillions from productive citizens. 

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#32 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Peak NFL? 

Check Out Jerry Jones’ New, $250 Million Luxury Mega Yacht      https://www.zerohedg...xury-mega-yacht

Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys’ billionaire owner, purchased a 109m/357ft superyacht, named after his wife, called the Bravo Eugenia, sources confirmed to NBC 5 Sports Director Newy Scruggs.

The $250 million vessel, built last year by Netherlands-based Oceanco, can sleep 14 people and is managed by a crew of about two dozen, according to SuperYacht Times

Jones, 76, has a net worth of about $7 billion. The Cowboys are considered one of the most valuable sports franchise in the world at $4.8 billion. Jones purchased the team in 1989 for $150 million, a 46x on the initial investment.

-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#33 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

An Insurance Crisis Is Quietly Growing For Football In America   http://www.traders-t.../mb2/index.php?

The NFL has, over the last decade, been rocked by lawsuits over traumatic brain injuries, allegations of player domestic violence off the field and rule changes of their own. But according to an ESPN investigation, the sport is facing a problem that could threaten its very survival - lack of insurance.

The NFL no longer has general liability insurance covering head trauma. And only one carrier is willing to cover teams for workman's comp. In short, if there's no insurance, there's no football.  

It started with the resolution of the class-action suit against the NFL that was over concussions. You had thousands of former players that were accusing the league of covering up the link between football and neurodegenerative disease. The NFL settled that suit for an estimated $1 billion.

And since then, the insurance industry has been taking a look at the litigation that's been proliferating since then. And it's hitting the sport at all levels - from Pop Warner all the way up to the league. And the result has been that many of the companies have just been taking a pass. They've been getting out of the industry. So if the league was sued under its general liability policy on this issue in the future, they're on their own. They ultimately have to pay it.

-- -