Taking a break

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

I am going to take a break from posting trades here for a while. 

When i was relatively new to trading and joined traders-talk, almost 16 years back, i found a wealth of information here on technical analysis, market timing, sentiment analysis, trend forecasting and of course the food fights, drama and entertainment. What i found sorely missing was how to translate all this information into concrete trades i.e entries, stops and exits. There was a huge void, when it came to information on trade management. That was the void i tried to fill over the years. I have posted thousands of trades here in real-time with precise entries, stops and exits. My mission was to show that technical analysis is not an end in itself, but a means to create a trading system and trade it profitably and also demonstrate various aspects of trade management. 

Trading is my full-time job and it's pretty mechanical to me. It's like driving a car. There is not really a whole lot of drama in trading and there should not be any. Alex Honnold in one of his scary Yosemite free climb puts it aptly "If you get any sort of adrenaline rush while you are free climbing, you are done !". It's the same in trading. If you are getting any sort of adrenaline rush while trading, you are doomed. Of course every time you make a profitable trade, there is bound to be some release of endorphins. But overall it's a pretty mechanical activity. Trading is a very isolated profession and that's why traders hang out on forums, blogs, twitter etc. 

Eventually you get posting fatigue on trading forums. It gets monotonous. Trading can make you a lot of money, but it does not provide an escape to your creativity. I am a very creative person and i need some other outlet for that. I am going to start blogging again on some of the trading stuff i am passionate about - Trend following, Risk management, Money management techniques etc. 

I also see a huge void when it comes to trading literature, as it relates to trading system development. Most trading books are devoted to technical analysis or market timing or "How to make millions in the stock market" type fairy tales. The blogging world does not really fill that void, which is also equally obsessed with market timing and predicting the future. Twitter is probably the worse, which is mostly filled with witty one-liners and cool memes. It's sometimes scary to indulge in Generation Z notion of trading, which is posting memes, ignoring both fundamental and technical analysis and just HODLing and ignoring the FUD !. I am taking some time off to write a book on trading system development, which covers the practical aspects of trading, various techniques of trend determination, various techniques of entries, exits, improving system edge, system testing etc. Having coded and traded the trading systems for more than i decade, i have a lot of accumulated knowledge and contribution to make to the trading system world. I have been thinking of doing this for a long time, but have always been strapped for time. My son is going to college and i now have a lot of free time on my hands to do things that i enjoy, besides making money in trading and travelling (which both my wife and i love equally, although my wife hates trading).

You won't see me here often. I will drop by occasionally, if i see something important. Adios for now.

Happy trading !

Edited by NAV, 21 March 2018 - 07:42 AM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#2 Venatici

Venatici

• Traders-Talk User
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

Sorry to see you go! This board will be poorer without you.

But I wish you the very best and good luck for your project, be sure to let us know when that book is done. I will be buying one of the first copies, and if signed i would be delighted.

To keep it short, just let me say, that you are the real deal and one of the best role model I can aim for.

All the best,

V

#3 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for your contributions. I have def learned from you. I will be very interested in your book when it is available.

Enjoy your time off.
Don't be gone too long :)

#4 Geomean

Geomean

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hey NAV, do ya gotta link for that Blog?

Keep checking in.

Opportunity knocks on your door every day-answer it.

#5 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Venatici, Waver,

It will take me a few months to write the book. Will let you folks know when i am done.

Geo,

I will create a new blog and post a link here when i am done.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#6 claire

claire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Thank you for your contribution to this forum which has been so informative.  You've been very generous in taking the time to post your trades, which has been appreciated by many.  You will be sorely missed.  I wish you the very best in every way.

#7 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,578 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

To bad your one of the only people that does what the site proclaims, "talking about trades", enjoyed your calls, you've shown that the market does go both ways and can be profitable!! 

#8 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for your contributions here NAV...safe to say we all have learned from you. Especially in keeping it simple and getting rid of most of those "indicators".

Love your style...good luck moving forward.

#9 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

Venatici, Waver,

It will take me a few months to write the book. Will let you folks know when i am done.

Geo,

I will create a new blog and post a link here when i am done.

Thanks for all of your insight and help over the years.

"The Playbook" by Mike Bellafiore, if you haven't read it, has a lot of discussion of setups and trading and things that can go wrong and things that go right if you do them with discipline, mostly through examinations of the trades made by the variety of traders at his prop trading firm.  Lots of trader psychology in the mix.

It is a worthwhile book but I, for one, will not be surprised if your turns out to be much better.

Gotta say though, as a guy who made my living for 30 years as a writer, writing is so solitary and isolating, it can make trading alone in a room seem like a crowd scene.

Have a good break. Keep a clear head.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#10 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,021 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

Nav, you do good work. You're very much appreciated.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter