Photo

How much do you need to save before retiring?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

New Blog Posting:

https://firechecklis...efore-retiring/

#2 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:22 AM

CycleTimer.

As part of your savings needed to retire, maybe the amount is too high (30x or 40x your yearly expenses)?

Reason I bring this up is because I have learned that Cash maybe be King but Cash Flow is the Real Power.

Having a steady stream of income as you are retired, cash savings isnt as paramount.

Cash Flow from Trading stocks, options and/or futures can go a long way in reducing how much you need to stash away. Trading can be risky and shouldnt be the only source of income. Rental Income is a solid addition to what should be a diversified stream of income.

I apologize if you have brought this up in other blog positing that I have missed.

Waver

#3 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

They key to retirement is plan to be out of debt and have a constant cash flow per month of at least $4,000.00. Zero debt is a must.

"If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough"

Twitter site

d:^)

#4 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:09 AM

Larry, I agree 100%. But debt free and $4k may not be enough for some of us. I realize you mentioned “minimum.” You’re right about debt, eliminate it.

#5 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:11 AM

CycleTimer.
As part of your savings needed to retire, maybe the amount is too high (30x or 40x your yearly expenses)?
Reason I bring this up is because I have learned that Cash maybe be King but Cash Flow is the Real Power.
Having a steady stream of income as you are retired, cash savings isnt as paramount.
Cash Flow from Trading stocks, options and/or futures can go a long way in reducing how much you need to stash away. Trading can be risky and shouldnt be the only source of income. Rental Income is a solid addition to what should be a diversified stream of income.
I apologize if you have brought this up in other blog positing that I have missed.
Waver

Waver,
I’ve brought this up to some degree in order blog posts, Income from real estate and put selling. I do believe in having 3-5 years living expenses in cash or short term notes, in order to mitigate being forced to sell equities in a bear market. I like the bucket strategy and I plan to expand on this in a future blog posting.

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,455 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:38 AM

Good thread. 

I will trade until the last breath....addicted

#7 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

CycleTimer and Larry - agree with both.

Zero Debt

Minimum $4K cash flow post tax, preferably from rental income (more solid). Ironically my goal is mid-$4Ks from rental income with trading adding another $1.5K - $2K from trading, post tax.

Yea a good amount of backup in savings definitely. Just not the 30x-40x.

Essentially thats my basic plan, which is in alignment with what is presented by both of you.

I am close. I cannot lose sight of the ultimate goal.

#8 EliottWave5

EliottWave5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

As a young guy, the only debt I've allowed my family to carry is on our house, and that only because the 3.25% interest rate is less than my expectation for inflation averages over the next 30 years.

#9 ryanoo

ryanoo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

They key to retirement is plan to be out of debt and have a constant cash flow per month of at least $4,000.00. Zero debt is a must.

Social security payment can be a good portion of this $4k if u r older than 66.5

#10 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Social security payment can be a good portion of this $4k if u r older than 66.5

True but I’ll be retiring at 55 (I’m 51) and not eligible for S.S. until age 62. I’ll need income as. A bridge between early retirement and SS eligibility.