DEJA VU, again, at SPX 200ma (2744)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:51 AM

Great trading days, except that slowest indecisive one earlier this week, and while one would yearn for this 

to continue... IT MAY! 

NQ has been very trendy and "easily tradeable" even outside of the NY cash session. This morning is a good example. CRUDE has also been very trendy but I cannot focus on anything else exxceot NQ daytrading and QQQ options (actually daytrading this a few days since the start of 2019)

I now hold 27 QQQ JUNE puts that are now down 17% and could be down much more in the near future.... but most of my NQ daytrades are LONG when the put premiums go down, DUH!   I expect to build a larger position, as I did in January & September 2018.  I missed the best part of the December decline, could not believe it & did not open any QQQ puts until more than 30% of that historic. 

Here we are again at SPX 200ma, traded above it yesterday, backed off, and we may do that once again, or wise, or many times, before a sustained rally or drop. I do not see SPX rising above 2800 and staying there for more than a few days, during the next month or two. But, I am willing to be proved wrong if the markets decide to do otherwise. 

Let me close this NQ daytrade long, hit & run. 7 points profit.  Waiting on next trade.

Here are some key SPX levels & commentary, see link below:

sp-2.png?w=640

sp_chart-3.png?w=640

https://global-macro...-key-levels-11/

#2 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:58 AM

That is about how I'm playing it for now, but trading small positions using SDS....  Day trading TVIX.....

Good Trading!

I'm also VST trading NUGT and DUST. 

Beer Money trading DUST right now.....

Edited by robo, 13 February 2019 - 09:00 AM.

“There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side”   Jesse L. Livermore

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:00 AM

So, there could be extra innings, right? How long are these innings? How many batters? closers?  Sentiment Speaks: The Stock Market Is In The 7th Inning Stretch

But, the stock market does not grow to the sky. And, maintaining a linear approach to the market, and believing it “will always comes back” will not likely serve you well in the years to come. So, while we may still have several more good years ahead of us, the market is hinting to us now that the music is going to stop. Can you see the hints? Are you getting ready to scramble for your chair?

While it is simply impossible to be perfect and identify every little twist and turn in the market 100% of the time, there are ways to be able to identify the bigger turnings points rather well. Allow me to show you what I mean.

876837-1549849954660676.png

For those that have followed our analysis through the years, you would know that as we approached the end of 2015, we were looking for a market correction from the 2100 region to the 1750-1800 region. That means we were expecting a 15% haircut in the markets. And, as we now know, that is exactly what we experienced.

But, that does not mean we were bearish in the long term. Rather, we saw it as a huge bullish opportunity for those who followed our analysis and were able to take advantage of the opportunity. We were pounding the table about the opportunity for what we expected to be a “global melt-up” for 2016 and forward. And, those that were able to raise cash before the 15% market haircut had cash available to take advantage of that opportunity. Those that “stayed the course” and did not raise cash because they did not know better were not able to take advantage of that opportunity.

Again, as we approached the end of July of 2016, I warned those following our analysis that I expected a pullback in the market as long as we remained below 2192SPX. That summer the market hit a high of 2190, and then turned down as we expected. But, again, I warned that this was likely a buying opportunity before the next stage of the bull market pointing us to the 2600 region. And, our expectation did not change no matter who was going to be elected in November of 2016.

And in the fall of 2018, I warned those willing to listen that we were approaching a 20-30% market correction. Moreover, when we broke below 2880SPX, I further warned that the risk of the downside far outweighs any further upside potential, and noted this is why I went to cash.

I have said this so many times in the past that I feel like a broken record player already. But, I know of no better methodology to understanding the larger context for the stock market than the one provided through an appropriate use of Elliott Wave analysis. And, that methodology is now telling me we are in the 7th inning stretch of a 9 inning game which began in 2009.

https://seekingalpha...-inning-stretch

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

That is about how I'm playing it for now, but trading small positions using SDS....  Day trading TVIX.....

Good Trading!

I'm also VST trading NUGT and DUST. 

Beer Money trading DUST right now.....

Yeah, hit & run, just focusing on current trade, close it, look for the next one.

After this huge rally, I want to hold a significant QQQ put position since the probability for a drop (not a crash, necessarily), is higher than a month ago.

I have not purchased any stock this year for my LT portfolio, yet still it is currently up 9% for the year! 

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

This is a comprehensive analysis. I found it very useful

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to use other markets as a bullish/bearish signal for the S&P 500. Above all else, the U.S. stock market is driven by the U.S. economy. As we have repeatedly seen in the past, the U.S. economy can consistently ignore “global economic weakness” (ex-U.S.).

Short Term

The short term is extremely hard to predict, even when you have an edge. Many random and unpredictable factors impact the short term. That’s why we focus on the medium to long term and mostly ignore the short term.

Conclusion

Here is our discretionary market outlook:

1. The U.S. stock market’s long-term risk:reward is no longer bullish. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the bull market is over. We’re merely talking about long-term risk:reward. Long-term risk:reward is more important than trying to predict exact tops and bottoms.
  2. The medium-term direction (i.e., next 3-6 months) is neutral. Some market studies are medium-term bullish while others are medium-term bearish.
  3. The stock market’s short term has a slight bearish lean. Focus on the medium and long term (and especially the long term) because the short term is extremely hard to predict.

Goldman Sachs’ Bull/Bear Indicator demonstrates that while the bull market’s top isn’t necessarily in, risk:reward does favor long-term bears.

saupload_goldman-bull-bear_thumb1.png

#6 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

I think the odds for the next ST move is down and then another bounce. We shall see how it plays out.  I'm trading much smaller positions so I'll trade what the market gives me.

“There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side”   Jesse L. Livermore

#7 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the chart and data.  GS is on my trading chart. 

https://stockcharts....24c&a=644642044

I use and get my ST data (looking for extremes) from Sentiment trader.  He is a MT trader overall, but I trade both. I use Vanguard for MT trades and I'm currently flat after catching a good part of the last bounce....  LOL...Talk about an extreme to trade... Now that was a good one to go long Brother.

My data indicates the odds are the top is in, but they are only odds based on historical data. As a trader who cares Brother. We trade both ways based on what the market gives us and the herd be chasing or selling.  Let the CNBC talking heads and investors worry about that [bleeeep].....

Headed out so good trading Brother!

Edited by robo, 13 February 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#8 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

From WSJ:

Late-Day Rallies Add to Market Momentum

Such advances are boosting confidence in this year's rebound.

Stocks are rallying in the final hour of trading more often than normal, a bullish development for market watchers bruised by recent volatility.

The moments ahead of the stock market’s closing bell at 4 p.m. ET have grown in importance in recent years because index-tracking funds often depend on buying and selling shares using the day’s final price.

That leads to a flurry of trading, with 30% of daily volume on exchanges operated by the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq occurring in the last hour of the day, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

Analysts say the recent rallies at the busiest time of day are a positive indicator because they suggest strong investor demand for stocks.

The S&P 500 climbed in the final hour of trading in eight consecutive sessions through Monday, the longest such streak in FactSet figures going back to Oct. 16, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Since falling to an 18-month low on Christmas Eve, the benchmark equity gauge has risen in the day’s last hour 76% of the time, compared with 57% of the time between Oct. 16 and Tuesday.

Such late-day moves have either extended rallies or limited the S&P 500’s drops, one of the factors analysts have credited with calming markets after last quarter’s dramatic swings.

“The moves we’re now seeing in the afternoons are helping build confidence,” said John Brady, managing director at brokerage R.J. O'Brien & Associates. “The most important hour of every trading day is the final hour.”

The S&P 500 averaged a 0.22% rise in the last hour of trading from Dec. 26 to Friday, according to Bespoke Investment Group analysts, its best performance in a single hour of the trading day during that stretch.

That’s nearly the opposite of what happened during the fourth-quarter selloff. Between Sept. 20 and Christmas Eve, stocks often opened higher before falling throughout the day and extending their declines in the final hour of trading.

The S&P averaged a 0.04% climb from 9:30 to 10 a.m., then fell in each remaining hour of the trading day, with a 0.06% decline on average in the day’s final hour, Bespoke’s analysis found.

Market Facts
  • The proportion of fund managers surveyed by Bank of America Merrill Lynch that are overweight global equities is at its lowest level since September 2016, according to the monthly BAML fund manager survey. Being long emerging markets is the market's most crowded trade for the first time in the survey's history.

• With Monday's 1.6% rise, the S&P 500 industrials sector is up 16% so far this year, heading for its largest quarterly advance since 2011. The S&P's next-best performing group is the energy sector, which is up 11%.

• The S&P 500 closed above its 200-day moving average for the first time since early December Monday, ending a 46-day streak without eclipsing the closely watched technical level. That marked its longest such stretch since March 2016, according to Dow Jones Market Data. 

Late-Day Rallies Add to Market Momentum

Such advances are boosting confidence in this year's rebound.

Stocks are rallying in the final hour of trading more often than normal, a bullish development for market watchers bruised by recent volatility.

The moments ahead of the stock market’s closing bell at 4 p.m. ET have grown in importance in recent years because index-tracking funds often depend on buying and selling shares using the day’s final price.

That leads to a flurry of trading, with 30% of daily volume on exchanges operated by the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq occurring in the last hour of the day, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

Analysts say the recent rallies at the busiest time of day are a positive indicator because they suggest strong investor demand for stocks.

The S&P 500 climbed in the final hour of trading in eight consecutive sessions through Monday, the longest such streak in FactSet figures going back to Oct. 16, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Since falling to an 18-month low on Christmas Eve, the benchmark equity gauge has risen in the day’s last hour 76% of the time, compared with 57% of the time between Oct. 16 and Tuesday.

Such late-day moves have either extended rallies or limited the S&P 500’s drops, one of the factors analysts have credited with calming markets after last quarter’s dramatic swings.

“The moves we’re now seeing in the afternoons are helping build confidence,” said John Brady, managing director at brokerage R.J. O'Brien & Associates. “The most important hour of every trading day is the final hour.”

The S&P 500 averaged a 0.22% rise in the last hour of trading from Dec. 26 to Friday, according to Bespoke Investment Group analysts, its best performance in a single hour of the trading day during that stretch.

That’s nearly the opposite of what happened during the fourth-quarter selloff. Between Sept. 20 and Christmas Eve, stocks often opened higher before falling throughout the day and extending their declines in the final hour of trading.

The S&P averaged a 0.04% climb from 9:30 to 10 a.m., then fell in each remaining hour of the trading day, with a 0.06% decline on average in the day’s final hour, Bespoke’s analysis found.  

Market Facts
  • The proportion of fund managers surveyed by Bank of America Merrill Lynch that are overweight global equities is at its lowest level since September 2016, according to the monthly BAML fund manager survey. Being long emerging markets is the market's most crowded trade for the first time in the survey's history.

• With Monday's 1.6% rise, the S&P 500 industrials sector is up 16% so far this year, heading for its largest quarterly advance since 2011. The S&P's next-best performing group is the energy sector, which is up 11%.

• The S&P 500 closed above its 200-day moving average for the first time since early December Monday, ending a 46-day streak without eclipsing the closely watched technical level. That marked its longest such stretch since March 2016, according to Dow Jones Market Data. 

#9 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

Don't know if this was posted here:

Review: From 1/31/19 Update: "Markets have rallied above the mini wave 4 bullish pennant/triangle pattern in a 5th wave rally. The triangle targets 2739 SPX, right at the 200 DMA at 2741.47 SPX, which is major resistance. "

From 2/5/19 Update: "We are rallying into 2/5 Solar time CIT (Change in Trend) suggesting a 2/5H in the make, but as bullish momentum remains strong and all trends remain Up, we go with the flow and wait for a trend reversal lower before considering any shorts"

Actual: We reached our outstanding 2739 SPX Triangle Target, right at the 200 DMA at the 2/5 Solar CIT High, which remains the Highs to date.

The same triangle that projected 2739 SPX price target has an Apex CIT due today 2/12, right at the double 2/12 Geometric time CITs and the 94 TD Cycle suggesting a 2/12 swing High being made.

What's Next: We should make a 2/12 swing High+/- and start a retrace.

Join our free forecasts and Updates at: 

#10 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

EXHAUSTION SHORT trade 

Hello everyone, as you know the market continues to behave like the Energizer Bunny!  

Anyway I just posted a sticky post on the Trading Community Blog regarding an Exhaustion Short trade condition that triggered on the SPY system.  I posted detailed information and statistics along with images on the trading community blog.  Therefore check out my blog post to see this in more detail.

Note: The post is condensed, therefore simply click the title of the post to expand and see the full message.

Matt

https://breakpointtr...log/post/300697