• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

Hi dcengr How are you? you sent me a PM today explaining that you think certain folks need to be called on what you perceive to be ego contained in the words of their work or thinking expressed here. you were directing this statement toward others...not myself I bring this to the entire board so that we can all benefit..here is my simple take on it. 1. posters at TT create the world we share here. 2. be responsible, tolerant and thoughtful about what each of us creates. 3. treasure all that is shared here out of generosity of time and energy....respect of differing views makes us stronger, even when what is being shared may appear to be fluff to some. Peace....have great weekends all.

Edited by hiker, 26 January 2007 - 06:12 PM.

#2 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hi dcengr

How are you?

you sent me a PM today explaining that you think certain folks need to be called on what you perceive to be ego contained in the words of their work or thinking expressed here.

you were directing this statement toward others...not myself

I bring this to the entire board so that we can all benefit..here is my simple take on it.

1. posters at TT create the world we share here.

2. be responsible, tolerant and thoughtful about what each of us creates.

3. treasure all that is shared here out of generosity of time and energy....respect of differing views makes us stronger, even when what is being shared may appear to be fluff to some.

Peace....have great weekends all.

Hiker,

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. I don't completely agree. I think its important that sharing is done in a manner that doesn't demean others, or their views, because one has a biased view based on their own work. Furthermore, I think one should not use such phrase like "are you listening to the market" or "you're not an expert", etc.

Perhaps if one wishes to engage in such acts, they shouldn't mind such acts reciprocated when they are under pressure?

We're all adults here, some are better traders, some are luckier. Some have much much larger egos than others, with proven record they will constantly point to as proof. Perhaps making money is all we should care about, and maybe such arrogance should be suffered because success is all we care about?

I think those who've seen my posts in the past would atest to the fact that there's nothing more that I seek than continued learning of the market. I would prefer to do this without having to suffer through personality quirks of people, but I realize I'm not in fantasy land.

So good trading to you hiker, and if my explaination isn't something you and I do not agree on, then we will just have to agree that we disagree.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#3 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

There is a wide spectrum of posters on any board ranging from those posting wild predictions/opinions without much substance or supporting evidence to those who post well thought out concepts that are truly helpful and backed by a full cache of supporting chart work or analysis. The latter should, out of respect, garnish a somewhat higher degree of tolerance from the board, if they on occasion come across a bit egotistical. Put another way, when posting a reply to another member, the tone of the response should be measured in consideration for the quality and experience of the poster and the content of the post itself IMO. Of course, all responses should still stay civil. Echo

#4 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

Why do I post at all?.......pure ego and expect praise if I'm right and totally ignored when I'm wrong! :blush: If anyone says they are posting ideas here out of the goodness of their heart and expect nothing in return.....are either Saints or really haven't searched themselves yet.
Now.......the real problem is.....some don't have that ego under control.....maybe none of us do....but...

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

"If" by Rudyard Kipling....

Reading the whole poem is better.

http://www.swarthmor...t1/docs/if.html

My father put that poem in a Birthday card to me over 40 years ago and I still have it framed in my office. Everytime I think I'm getting out of control....I read it. ...

....oh dear....I'm getting very sentimental now.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

#5 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

EM,

You're one of the best posters out there. Lots of work, lots of success.. and you do not poo poo other's work nor do you deny the possibility that you could be wrong, which is what makes a great trader.. the risk/reward that many don't discuss here. When one is wrong, despite whatever method one uses, one has to cut their losses and move to the next great trade.

Why do I post at all?.......pure ego and expect praise if I'm right and totally ignored when I'm wrong! :blush: If anyone says they are posting ideas here out of the goodness of their heart and expect nothing in return.....are either Saints or really haven't searched themselves yet.
Now.......the real problem is.....some don't have that ego under control.....maybe none of us do....but...

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

"If" by Rudyard Kipling....

Reading the whole poem is better.

http://www.swarthmor...t1/docs/if.html

My father put that poem in a Birthday card to me over 40 years ago and I still have it framed in my office. Everytime I think I'm getting out of control....I read it. ...

....oh dear....I'm getting very sentimental now.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?