6 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

From Fari:

After four days of testing, the new Put/Call Ratio report(s) will go into effect tomorrow.

Given the new reality of Barclays/TALnet datafeed cost structure (80X what we paid them last month), we had to greatly reduce our symbol list. We are terribly sorry to report that HA500 is now history. This week we found out that converting our webpages to End-of-Day Service Only, would not have made a difference in cost. The issue is number of contracts in any given options chains. So we had to do away with most of indices and ETFs. A typical index/ETF has 2,000 distinct contracts while a tech stock like QCOM has approximately 220 in its options chain.

Fari tells me that we will no longer have the $-weighted OEX data, which was for me the most valuable of the bunch, followed by the Q's and SPX.

I suspect that this is NOT a cost issue for Barclays but rather an access issue. Somebody doesn't want Fari doing what he's doing for folks.

This last part of an email from him as part of our exchange was heart wrenching:

what kills me is how many hours of programming went into building HA500 (52MB in Excel 2007 was the file size)

how many birthdays I missed

how many friends & family get-togethers I stayed home and worked till early hours of the morning

This sucks.

When he gets adjusted to the new system, check out all the stuff he can still offer. It's still pretty voluminous. I'd just like to ask you to look around and see if anything he's doing might add value to what you do.

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

the boyz are taking it all away......members report in barrons gone......nyse chat board loaded with complaints but no answers.....uptic rule .....gone......the battle with computer literate trading started when they went to a 6 ana half hour day.......hour oscilators were hosed with that one.......

#3 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Sorry to see that. But Fari, do you need to follow 500 stocks/options to make money?
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Actually, it was a much more useful screen with 500 to select from. The truly sad thing is that we are losing the most valuable indices and ETF's because of all the strikes and out-months. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#5 ken29

ken29

• Traders-Talk User
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

I'm surprise he is still in business, didn't he say the worst is over on Oct 20, 2008? :wacko:

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Depends upon what you are looking at, I guess. Fari's got a great record. Why would one go out of business for mis-calling a low in the midst of the worst Bear market in three generations? His data is great and he's a dandy resource. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#7 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

I'm surprise he is still in business, didn't he say the worst is over on Oct 20, 2008? :wacko:

the worst was over........havent seen the number of 52 week lows reach those numbers of last fall yet.....