Photo

Cyclical Bull or Historical Blowoff Top Bear Market Rally?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

I think the odds highly favor we are in a cyclical bull (within a longer-term secular bear, projecting to an end between 2013 and 2017) given where we are closing this month

I've seen over a dozen charts indicating a cyclical bull has started in the past couple of weeks

If we aren't, then we should see, IMHO, a multi-year blowoff top between 1050 and 1100 (similar to 1938 scenario) before the end of the year (probably between Sept and Dec, ideally November)...the likelihood of this happening is low given historical probabilities...on the other hand, I wouldn't dismiss it given the strange economic times America is in

I have basically been flat since July 23rd when my short got stopped out (breakout past 957 cash occurred on this day): http://www.traders-t...?...st&p=472404
(other than ST / multi-day bearish positions...I currently have one now as I shorted the S&P at yesterday's close)

If we corrected to 940-950 on the cash S&P from here, I would consider going long if we successfully tested there (basically the breakout point), as that would indicate at least some type of rally continuation

A bearish conviction bar sending us below 940 on the cash would indicate a multi-week to multi-month top is in...which certainly doesn't mean the cyclical bull is over but just that there is more correcting to do, likely a test of the 900 level is in the cards, for instance, minimally

Time wise, early August, with a move not much past beyond here (maybe near 1020, if we get past 1000) would be fitting for a multi-week to multi-month top and Sept/Oct would be fitting for the next (higher) bottom to come in, if this is indeed a cyclical bull and not a blowoff-type bear market rally a la 1938 (which would instead project to a top at 1050-1100 of the blowoff variety, coming between Sept and December, ideally November)

Just my point of view right now, FWIW

By the way, 956 intraday high to 869 intraday low = 9% correction...in case anyone missed that

And, I have no idea when the cyclical bull would end if we are in one (probabilities say we are, at this point), but one projection I have is late 2010 to early 2011

Attached Thumbnails

• 7_31_2009___SPX.png
  • LOUISE_YAMADA___1938.gif
  • 7_31_2009___nasdaq_vs_nikkei.png

Edited by alysomji, 31 July 2009 - 10:44 AM.

"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months