Gold Hurst Cycles Long Term View

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

I've been looking for confirmation that a 9 year Hurst cycle low has been made. Given the new highs printed this month, and the 4.5 year cycle period from July 2005 is dragging on, chances are the 9 year low was printed in Feb 2010. The other possibility is August 2009. The point is that a 9 year Hurst cycle low has likely come and gone.

I'm using a Hurst Trading software to generate the plot below. The software is bound by nominal Hurst cycle periods (ie. 10, 20, 40 week, 18 month and 4.5 year cycle periods). I actually follow different cycle periods for gold and the HUI (starting with 15 weeks, 56 weeks or 13/14 months, 26/27 months and 4.5 years). Hurst did state that gold seemed to move with slightly different cycles to stocks etc. So while Oct. 2008 was clearly the nominal low for gold, it made a higher cycle low at the 4.5 and 9 year cycle nest of lows. I do not agree with the placement of some of the diamonds shown below (eg. 18 month low in July 2007 - ie. it should have been earlier in Oct. 2006), but I cannot dictate where the software locates the lows, I can only guide it using an expert model (which I input) as reference. I should also point out that the software has only tentatively confirmed the 9 year low by placing a red hollow diamond.

When gold and golds stocks starting to break higher in July/August last year, I knew that something was up regarding the longer term cycles. I expected everything to head into lows late 2009 based on the 13/14 and 26/27 month cycles I follow. This also meant that the nominal cycle low came very early which was quite bullish. The same occurred for the last 4.5 year low in July 2005.

So what does this say for gold? While I expect a near term peak, I don't expect gold to restest the $1000 level, and it likely will not even see its Feb. 2010 low (~1050) if the 9 year low is in. The cycles have been nothing but extremely right translated and if you look back to July 2005, as the last 4.5 year Hurst cycle low, you can see that gold will simply grind higher from here, despite the inevitable corrections.

So strategically, you'd want to buy pullbacks if you do not have your intended investment position. I did buy into the March pullback to add to holdings, and now I will look at the next opportunity. It may come after corrections from higher levels, I don't really know right now. A near term correction is due and from there gold should grind higher into an autumn peak (Oct.?).

cheers,

john

P.S. The other "tell" is my HUI Gann level of 467.

http://www.traders-t...howtopic=118905

Gold_10_year_Hurst_Expert_model_May_2010.png

Edited by SilentOne, 16 May 2010 - 09:57 PM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#2 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

That's truly an awesome piece of work, john. Thank you for sharing. :) Best to you.
Peace
johngeorge

#3 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:48 AM

Thank you for sharing John. May I ask what software you're using?
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#4 wxman

wxman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:16 AM

this has been my picture of the 8 yr cycle, no low since then
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GOL...0&listNum=1

Attached Thumbnails

• gold8yr.png

#5 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

hi ST,

http://www.sentientcode.com/

cheers,

john

P.S. This is the only Hurst Trading software that I am aware of that uses the principles taught in the Hurst Cycles course. Many other programs are add-ons to trading software and rely on the concepts presented in Hurst's earlier work.

Edited by SilentOne, 17 May 2010 - 07:19 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain