mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

:o

Argentine glacier advances despite global warming
By JEANNETTE NEUMANN, AP

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Argentina's Perito Moreno glacier is one of only a few ice fields worldwide that have withstood rising global temperatures.

Nourished by Andean snowmelt, the glacier constantly grows even as it spawns icebergs the size of apartment buildings into a frigid lake, maintaining a nearly perfect equilibrium since measurements began more than a century ago.

LINK

mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#2 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

"Despite global warming??" I'm sure that's an oversight, considering the global cooling trend we've been experiencing over the last decade... ;)

#3 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

"Despite global warming??"

I'm sure that's an oversight, considering the global cooling trend we've been experiencing over the last decade... ;)

:o
It is part of the current stupidity of most of the people, the news media has said there is global warming, therefore there is global warming - everybody said so.

The fact that a glacier is actually growing (there are several) is not in sync with everybody's opinion. Opinions out rank FACTS, this is common truth. The news media asks every day, "this and such happened", what is your opinion.

Never ever go with FACTS, go with "change", what do you think? :lol:

:cat: Only the facts.

Edited by mss, 15 June 2009 - 08:53 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.

#4 salsabob

salsabob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

I'm pretty much agnostic on the warming/cooling argument, but I did read that the glacier on Mt. Shasta in CA is also growing. Turns out that the warming Pacific is sending more precipt into the Northern Sierras and Southern Cascades. Shasta is high enough where that is going to fall mostly as snow (and stay that way, i.e. glacier) regardless of worst predictions of warming. Could Perito Moreno be the same? I think this is a little more complicated than throwing out the occassional ancedote on either side of the equation. :juggle:
John Galt shrugged, outsourced to Red China and opened a hedge fund for unregulated securitized credit derivatives.

If the world didn't suck, wouldn't we all just fly off?

#5 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

:) I was in Alaska last year in June and we were told that the Mendenhall glacier had grown almost a foot for the first time in some 35+ years. They also had another one, forgot name, that has not shrunk and is growing about 3" per year. They have others that are shrinking, but the locals will till you that that has been going on from way back and that glaciers grow and shrink regardless of truth or fiction to any "global warming". Has more to do with supply of water/moisture in the area. mss

#6 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

The Iceman Cometh

Look at Washington State. The Nisqually Glacier on Mt. Rainier is growing. The Emmons Glacier on Mt. Rainier is growing. Glaciers on Glacier Peak in northern Washington are growing. And Crater Glacier on Mt. Saint Helens is now larger than it was before the 1980 eruption. (I don't think all of the glaciers in Washington or Alaska are being monitored either.)

Or look at California. All seven glaciers on California's Mount Shasta are growing. This includes three-mile-long Whitney glacier, the state's largest. Three of Mount Shasta's glaciers have doubled in size since 1950.

Or look at Alaska. Glaciers are growing in Alaska for the first time in 250 years. In May of last year, Alaska’s Hubbard Glacier was advancing at the rate of seven feet (two meters) per day - more than half-a-mile per year. And in Icy Bay, at least three glaciers advanced a third of a mile (one-half kilometer) in one year.

Oh, by the way. The Juneau Icefield, with its "positive values," covers 1,505 square miles (3,900 sq km) and is the fifth-largest ice field in the Western Hemisphere. Rather interesting to know that Gore's own source admits that the fifth-largest ice field in the Western Hemisphere is growing, don't you think?

Perito Moreno Glacier, the largest glacier in Argentina, is growing.

Pio XI Glacier, the largest glacier in Chile, is growing.

Glaciers are growing on Mt. Logan, the tallest mountain in Canada.

Glaciers are growing on Mt. Blanc, the tallest mountain in France.

Glaciers are growing in Norway, says the Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate (NVE).

And the last time I checked, all 50 glaciers in New Zealand were growing.

But this is nothing. These glaciers are babies when you look at our planet's largest ice masses, namely, the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets.

Contrary to what you may have heard, both of those huge ice sheets are growing.

http://www.iceagenow...t_melting-2.htm
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#7 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

It is part of the current stupidity of most of the people, i am one of "most of those people" you are calling stupid, then, I guess. I am aware of a tremendous effort by world scientists to understand the changes we are seeing in the climate. I consider myself well educated, well informed, well read. Several advanced degrees, sane and open minded. Surely that's what you mean by "the current stupidity of most of the people"?

Jim

He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

BREAKING NEWS:
Yosemite Valley Glaciers have disappeared.

Only a small puddle left remaining!
Posted Image
In this revealing photo, the absolute proof of global warning can be seen as nothing is left of a millenniums old glacier except for a few rocks, rounded by the tragic collapse of the glacier and a small puddle on the canyon floor.
In the background you can see the huge granite walls collapsing, being destroyed now by mountain climbers in search of antidotes for their anecdotes. LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 March 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Shhh! Ice Increases 26%
"Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this."

But we still must destroy the world's economy.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 March 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#10 salsabob

salsabob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

The Iceman Cometh

Look at Washington State. The Nisqually Glacier on Mt. Rainier is growing. The Emmons Glacier on Mt. Rainier is growing. Glaciers on Glacier Peak in northern Washington are growing. And Crater Glacier on Mt. Saint Helens is now larger than it was before the 1980 eruption. (I don't think all of the glaciers in Washington or Alaska are being monitored either.)

Or look at California. All seven glaciers on California's Mount Shasta are growing. This includes three-mile-long Whitney glacier, the state's largest. Three of Mount Shasta's glaciers have doubled in size since 1950.

Or look at Alaska. Glaciers are growing in Alaska for the first time in 250 years. In May of last year, Alaska’s Hubbard Glacier was advancing at the rate of seven feet (two meters) per day - more than half-a-mile per year. And in Icy Bay, at least three glaciers advanced a third of a mile (one-half kilometer) in one year.

Oh, by the way. The Juneau Icefield, with its "positive values," covers 1,505 square miles (3,900 sq km) and is the fifth-largest ice field in the Western Hemisphere. Rather interesting to know that Gore's own source admits that the fifth-largest ice field in the Western Hemisphere is growing, don't you think?

Perito Moreno Glacier, the largest glacier in Argentina, is growing.

Pio XI Glacier, the largest glacier in Chile, is growing.

Glaciers are growing on Mt. Logan, the tallest mountain in Canada.

Glaciers are growing on Mt. Blanc, the tallest mountain in France.

Glaciers are growing in Norway, says the Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate (NVE).

And the last time I checked, all 50 glaciers in New Zealand were growing.

But this is nothing. These glaciers are babies when you look at our planet's largest ice masses, namely, the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets.

Contrary to what you may have heard, both of those huge ice sheets are growing.

http://www.iceagenow...t_melting-2.htm

This is worst than the cherry-picking of coolest/warmest decade trash that both sides hawk.

I checked out the references of the article and most are self-referential to his previous blog posts - some with no further references or a reference to a letter from a reader of the blog with an anecdotal observation from his cabin in the woods. Others refer to short news stories where the one making the observation of extension puts it into context of how unique it is given the many other glaciers in retreat. None of the references are scientific publications and none discuss the much greater influence of moisture in the air than temperature changes (something the believers hawk as likely to occur with warming oceans). Let's say you're in an area where average temperatures is 10*F (not so unusual in glacier fields or the Arctic/Antarctic. Let's say global warming far exceeds everyone's wildest imagination and your area triples in average temperature to 30*F. Now, when precipitation comes will it now magically fall as rain? If it falls as snow, will it now melt? Is this rocket science? :sweatingbullets:

The non-believers often point to the believers using dubious or politically-motivated science, but do you non-believers ever check out your sources, - like this ICEAGENOW blog you cite?

Iceagenow was constructed by a man called Robert W Felix to promote his self-published book about "the coming ice age". It claims that sea levels are falling, not rising; that the Asian tsunami was caused by the "ice age cycle"; and that "underwater volcanic activity — not human activity — is heating the seas".

Is Felix a climatologist, a volcanologist or an oceanographer? Er, none of the above. His biography describes him as a "former architect".

Jeesh. :blush:
John Galt shrugged, outsourced to Red China and opened a hedge fund for unregulated securitized credit derivatives.

If the world didn't suck, wouldn't we all just fly off?