Photo

"Japan gov’t worried reactor buildings are in danger of collapse — 'We must devise some ways' to reinforce structures despite high radiation"...

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#41 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Flooding No. 1 reactor halted after causing drop in pressure that could 'spark a hydrogen-oxygen explosion' April 28th, 2011 at 08:21 AM." The report explains:

Japan Nuclear Operator Postpones Plan To Flood Reactor Vessel, Dow Jones, April 28, 2011:

A plan to flood the containment vessel of one of the reactors at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex to better cool off its nuclear core was postponed Thursday, as concerns about possible leakage in the vessel made workers cautious about filling it with tens of thousands of tons of water. [...]

A test run for an operation to flood Reactor No.1′s containment vessel began Wednesday morning[...]

The trial run saw a more-than-anticipated drop in the temperature and the pressure inside the reactor, raising the possibility that adding water could deflate the containment vessel too much, allow the atmosphere to enter, and spark a hydrogen-oxygen explosion similar to ones that hit the plant in the first week of the crisis in March. [...]

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#42 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Report: New TEPCO data unequivocally shows ongoing criticalities at Unit 2 April 29th, 2011 at 05:23 AM." The report states:

TEPCO Data Shows Ongoing Criticalities Inside Leaking Fukushima Daiichi Unit 2, Gerson Lehrman Group, April 28, 2011:

Data released on April 28, 2011 by TEPCO is now unequivocal in showing ongoing criticalities at Unit 2, with a peak on April 13. TEPCO graphs of radioactivity-versus-time in water under each of the six reactors show an ongoing nuclear chain reaction creating high levels of “fresh” I-131 in Unit 2 [...]

When a nuclear reactor goes “critical” it means that the fissioning of U-235 or Pu-239 becomes a self-sustaining process, called a chain reaction [...]

But instead of seeing that expected decrease in I-131 levels relative to Cs-134 and Cs-137 in the regular TEPCO press releases, I-131 was seen to be increasing, instead of decreasing as the physics said it should. [...]

“Outlier” Unit 2 has I-131 levels roughly 20 times its levels of Cs-134/137. The only possible source of I-131 would be “pockets” of molten core in the Unit 2 RPV settled in such a way that the boron in the injected water is insufficient to stop the localized criticalities.

Read the TEPCO data here.

Results of Nuclide Analysis of Sub-drain(PDF)

Radioactivity Density of Sub-drain(PDF)

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#43 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Child's risk of cancer from radiation is 10-100 times higher than an adult who had same exposure (VIDEO) April 29th, 2011 at 09:30 AM."

See video ---> video

Bob-C

#44 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Nuclear adviser to Japanese gov’t quits, holding back tears — They /have ignored the laws' April 29th, 2011 at 05:34 PM." the report states:[quote] Japanese Nuclear Adviser Quits, Dow Jones by William Sposato, April 29, 2011:

A special advisor to the Japanese government on radiation safety resigned Friday, saying that he was dissatisfied with the handling of the ongoing crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Toshiso Kosako, a professor at the prestigious University of Tokyo, said at a news conference that the prime minister’s office and agencies within the government “have ignored the laws and have only dealt with the problem at the moment.” Holding back tears, he said this approach would only prolong the crisis. [...]

Mr. Kosako was appointed on March 16. In announcing the appointment, chief government spokesman Yukio Edano described him as someone who “possesses outstanding insight and expertise in the field of radiation safety.” [...][quote]

Bob-C

#45 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "'All of a sudden, people start asking questions about U.S. plants' after NRC Chairman’s recommendation of a 50-mile evacuation zone at Fukushima April 29th, 2011 at 09:12 PM." The report explains:

NRC Chairman’s ‘Emergency’ Status Irks Leading Senate Republican, New York Times by Hannah Northey, April 29, 2011:

[Robert Duffy, chairman of the political science department at Colorado State University] said [Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko's] recommendation to implement a 50-mile evacuation zone may be scrutinized because it raises doubts about the safety of the nuclear industry in the United States.

"My guess would be the industry wasn’t really thrilled with a statement that you need to evacuate within 50 miles of the Fukushima plant,” Duffy said. “All of a sudden, people start asking questions about U.S. plants and the NRC’s ability to regulate.”

Bob-C

#46 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Breakdown: 'I cannot allow this'… government not protecting public from radiation — 'Highly unusual' for an academic to quit in protest (PHOTO) April 30th, 2011 at 07:58 PM." The report states:

Japan's Prime Minister Defends Handling of Nuclear Crisis, New York Times, April 30, 2011:

[A Japanese government] adviser resigned during a tearful news conference in which he charged that the government was not adequately protecting the population from radiation. [...]

"I cannot allow this as a scholar," said Mr. Kosako, an expert on radiation safety at the University of Tokyo. [...]

He also blasted the government for what he said was a lack of transparency in releasing radiation levels around the Fukushima Daiichi plant [...]

Government advisory positions are considered prestigious, and it is highly unusual for an academic to quit one in protest. [...]

Bob-C

#47 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Top Japanese nuclear expert/proponent: Government’s announcement is wrong — I believe all the fuel rods are completely melted down (VIDEO)May 1st, 2011 at 07:15 AM." the report explains:

Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Japan Nuclear Technology Institute Senior Advisor Says “Reactors 1, 2, 3 All Had Complete Meltdown”, EX-SKF, April 30, 2011:

Michio Ishikawa, the former head of the Japan Nuclear Technology Institute and the current “most senior” advisor to the Institute, appeared on an Asahi TV program on April 29 and shared his candid assessment of Fukushima I Nuke Plant accident.

He is known as one of the most ardent proponents of nuclear power generation. The Japan Nuclear Technology Institute was set up in 2005 by Ishikawa in order to represent the interest of the nuclear industry in Japan and promote nuclear energy.

[...] he continues to insist nuclear power plants are safe and 100 milli-sieverts cumulative radiation is perfectly safe not just for the plant workers but for everyone.

Here are some of the comments he made during the program…

The government announcement is wrong. I think all the fuel rods have been melted down.

the report adds:

Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Ishikawa of JNTI Talks about Reactor Core Conditions, EX-SKF, April 30, 2011:

More on 77-year-old Michio Ishikawa of the Japan Nuclear Technology Institute on the situation at Fukushima I Nuke Plant, as he appeared on Asahi TV on April 29. [...]

“I believe the fuel rods are completely melted. They may already have escaped the pressure vessel. Yes, they say 55% or 30%, but I believe they are all melted down. When the fuel rods melt, they melt from the middle part on down.

“I think the temperature inside the melted core is 2000 degrees to 2000 and several hundred degrees Celsius. A crust has formed on the surface where the water hits. Decay heat is 2000 to 3000 kilowatts, and through the cracks on the crust the radioactive materials (mostly noble gas and iodine) are escaping into the air. [...]

[Later on] The show’s host says “But wait a minute, Mr. Ishikawa, you are a proponent of nuclear power and we expected to hear from you that everything is going well at Fukushima…”

Mr. Ishikawa answers, “Well, if I’m allowed to tell a lie…”

About EX-SKF: I am Japanese, and I not only read Japanese news sources for information on earthquake and the Fukushima Nuke Plant but also watch press conferences via the Internet when I can and summarize my findings, adding my observations.

Follow EX-SKF’s tweets here.

Bob-C

#48 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Radiation forecasts in Japan kept secret to avoid 'panic in the whole of society' May 3rd, 2011 at 09:31 AM." The report explains:

Data monitor failed at Japan’s nuclear plant, report says, DPA, May 3, 2011:

The accident response headquarters, formed jointly by the government and the plant’s operator Tokyo Electric Power Co, said Monday that roughly 5,000 estimates of how radioactive substances would disperse had been made since the beginning but they had not been made public, Kyodo said. The secrecy was to avoid “panic in the whole of society,” lawmaker Goshi Hosono, head of the secretariat of the ruling Democratic Party of Japan, was quoted by Kyodo as saying.

Bob-C

#49 jack

jack

• Traders-Talk User
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hi Bob Just wanted to thank you for keeping track of this news and posting regular links. Very much appreciated. I check you and Gunderson daily.

#50 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi Bob

Just wanted to thank you for keeping track of this news and posting regular links.
Very much appreciated. I check you and Gunderson daily.

You're very welcome Jack, good to hear from you. :) Here is the latest update, things are getting worse. According to enenews.com. "Did Fukushima Daiichi Unit No. 4 catch on fire today? (VIDEO) May 4th, 2011 at 08:16 AM." See the videos here. We need more people like you to be concerned and aware of the important things that affect all people in the world.

Have a good day and a happy and successful trading week.

Bob-C