When are you an adult

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

I note the US often convicts children as though they are adults. Sometimes as young as 14. All the evidence is in fact that brain development matures about mid 20's. This is evidenced by the risky behaviour of youth who can't understand the concept of consequences of risky action. Yes, a sense of right and wrong develops early but is that enough? What I hate is the demonising of actions. So often I hear "evil" as a definition of some terrible crime. "evil" is just a the French d'evil or of evil hence Devil. The US also seems to have this idea that premeditated action means the person wasn't insane or mentally disturbed/impaired. Apparently even brain damage is no excuse. Of course either way, the perpetrator needs to be removed from society. It is just that "evil" has the hallmarks of the Salem trials and all that invokes. I believe heinous crimes are from those with mental disturbance not the work of "demons" as is often inferred. The thing about people being "evil" allows the rest of us to think we couldn't do that. The fact is any of us can do horrible things given the right set of circumstances. Hence the saying "there but for the grace of ******* goes I", or even "walk a mile in another man's shoes". There seems too little analysis on early mental abberation and how to handle it.