2 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

:yes:

THE NEXT WIRELESS REVOLUTION, IN ELECTRICITY

More wiring and pipes is not a viable solution. There is no political will for the expensive task of electrifying Africa. The grid, in fact, is growing more slowly than the population.

A clue to one answer comes from a more familiar product: the mobile phone. About half of Africans own one, and 75 or 80 percent have access to one. Africans have leapfrogged over the landline. In the process, they have created an information revolution whose effects on agriculture, commerce, health and education we cannot yet imagine.

But if off-grid communication is bringing change, even more will come from off-grid power — wind, small hydro, biomass, but mostly solar. Power drives almost everything else — cooking without gathering wood and inhaling smoke, clean water, radios, fans, eventually TVs. Also, this second revolution is needed to make the first revolution happen. How do people without electricity charge their mobile phones? Solar lights increasingly come with that capacity.

Power brings more than consumption. It brings safety: people can walk at night, women no longer have to range so far to gather wood for cooking. It brings education: children can study after dark. It brings prosperity: stores can stay open longer. Producers can get the tools they need to produce more — a milk-chiller for dairy farmers, pumps to irrigate crops.

One huge benefit of off-grid power is that it aligns what’s good for the poor with what’s good for the planet. Pro-poor hasn’t always meant pro-environment — as poor countries develop, they consume more fossil fuels. But with off-grid it’s different. “Providing basic services to off-grid households …can only be done in an environmentally responsible way,” said Gupta.

“Because the grid hasn’t arrived, the dominant fossil fuel is really kerosene, for cooking and lighting,” said Justin Guay, associate director of the international climate program at the Sierra Club. “Replacing that kerosene with solar lanterns, home systems and cooking stoves can have a tremendous impact on the environment, in addition to increasing livelihoods and health.”

In 2009 there were some 300,000 solar lamps in use in Africa. By the end of 2012, there were 4 million, and sales are doubling each year. Gaurav points out that solar lighting is not only a service. It can also come in the form of a product a family can buy at a local store for $10. This shift is useful, as products are rapidly improving; battery hours and brightness are increasing even as prices drop.

One light is often not enough, so there are other models. A family can buy a more ambitious solar lighting system that offers several lights and phone charging.

There are also new products for village entrepreneurs. A set of solar panels and rechargeable lights, for example, creates a business that delivers lanterns to customers every morning and evening, picking up the spent lanterns at the same time.

Or a village entrepreneur can buy a power plant in a box: solar panels and wiring for 20 or so households. That person is now the village power company, but his wiring need only be a few hundred yards of cable, rather than a few hundred miles.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

HI diogenes227, I have a lot of respect for your trading skills, but what is/was your point in posting the article. She is so out of touch with Africa it is not even funny. Africa population in 2011 = 1.033 billion HALF have a cell phone ??? 75-80% have access to one. What an adulterated LIE of facts. I want bother to list all the other reasons her "pie-in-the-sky" is pure Bull. Average weekly earnings, those who have one, is less than a fast food average hourly earnings. Now if she wants to talk about a couple of towns, thats one thing, but the whole country is another. mss

Edited by mss, 12 September 2013 - 10:50 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I post most of these renewable-energy stories mostly to bring some balance to this site where the primary thread on solar energy (as well as other green energy sources) is called "solar power absurd". I suspect in 50 to 100 years that stance itself will be called "absurd" much like those who told car owners to "get a horse" 130 or so years ago are now looked on as laughably absurd buggy-whip boys. I really don't know why so many around here so adamantly cling to fossil fuels. It's like just to bring up solar is an insult to their preconceptions. Yes, fossil fuels run the world and will probably continue to do so for our lifetimes...but they will not forever. And as far as the environment is concerned there are so many obvious alternatives to pursue in the meantime.

Besides, big bucks are being be made in the pursuit of fossil fuel alternatives. The best stocks in the market are pretty much growth stocks. Is the growth going forward going to be in fossil fuels or in its alternatives? Take a glance at a TSLA chart or even see-saws like FSLR or CSIQ against a XOM chart and ask yourself which would you rather own at the beginning of this year. Besides posts like this one, I've been hammering renewable energy as the stock sector to buy all year. I sometimes wonder how many saddled with a century of fossil-fuel status-quo preconceptions are blind to the these trading and investing opportunities.

The point of this particular post is to once again point out that progress is being made, bit by little bit, all over the world, often with alternative fuels because basically there is little other choice. No big deal particularly, but it is still progress. A village that has no electricity gets a 100 percent increase as soon as an electric light turns on from whatever source.

I'll admit I was a jarred by her cellphone stats too, thinking that's hard to believe, but then I Googled "african cell phone use". Suggest you do the same but be prepared to be surprised and willing to open your eyes. You may realize her "pure Bull" may be PURE BULL! Look to buy it.

Here's a teaser for "Africa population in 2011 = 1.033 billion" -- African Cell Phone Use in 2011= 648 million. That's one article but there's plenty more on the search that came from.

Good luck and good trading.

Edited by diogenes227, 12 September 2013 - 12:42 PM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."