Photo

30 years of fat phobia have given us a diabetes and obesity epedemic

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Eat Real Food!

Eat like a predator, not like prey.

Posted Image
Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

I personally want to thank you Chili for turning me on further to this type of satisfying, easy diet and it's beneficial effect on diabetes. I recently posted a link on Facebook about the recent revelation of the previous flaws in the fat studies and a Vegan friend replied: "I don't believe a word of it." Often it is about belief systems and not facts. My wife, with type 2 diabetes has been on a low carb diet less than 2 months and her blood sugar reading has dropped an average of 50 points. She's most excited about her weight loss and her clothes fitting again. It's hard to argue with results. She's convinced. She's a believer. We just got a note from a friend visiting Greece for the first time. After describing the typical Mediterranean meal, she opined that this would be the first vacation that she has ever been on and lost weight. ;)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 June 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#3 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Cheers Roger and hooray for your wife. It's kinda difficult to get people to even consider that "conventional food and medical advice" has been incorrect for the last 40 years :huh:

I was pre diabetic and 60 pounds heavier with HBP three years ago. Doctor told me I was headed for an very early grave if I didn't lose weight. I started to read everything I could get my hands on. I researched the food pyramid which is the official conventional recommendation which most everyone is familiar with. I checked out vegetarianism as it is claimed a very healthy way to eat. I looked into low fat/whole grains. I even looked at veganism as vegans claim that it is the original human diet back when Australopithecus was around and a fruit eater and all sorts of healing is attributed to that way of eating. All interesting reading. Then I stumbled upon Mark Sisson and his book Primal Blueprint which is a friendlier take on the "Paleo Diet". The lights went off when I read his book. Nutrition based on anthropology showing how humans have evolved the last 2.4 million years. How simple and self evident is that I thought?

I saved my life.

There are many takes on the "Paleo diet" which advocates prefer to call the Ancestral diet. (The media always runs off with cave man analogies and clubs and dinosaurs). These are what I consider the most reasonable and thought out Ancestral diet advocates worth reading.

Robb Wolf
Dr. Cate Shanahan she is a local MD Great Book
Dr. Kurt Harris He no longer blogs.
Eric C. Westman, Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek wrote a variation of Paleo based on Atkins.
Perfect Health Diet

and if you are up all night and cannot sleep, go here.

As you say, diet is often tied to one's personal dogma. It almost becomes a religion for some. Very difficult to open people's eyes so I don't try as much as I did for a few years. Not everyone is ready, not everyone cares. Only those who are ready for the message will hear and investigate. I learned this:

"Just remember, there's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is to keep trying to make everybody else do it the right way." Col. Potter
or as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own {bleeeep} will burn you out."

Be well, Chili

Edited by Chilidawgz, 29 June 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

Good stuff Chili.
Here's one other problem with the obesity epidemic, which I say is increasing directly because of our new sedentary online lifestyle.

Form of liver disease has quickly emerged as public health threat...

According to the American Liver Foundation, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease already is "the most common liver disease in most of the Western world." It affects 30 million Americans, and the numbers are growing.

"We are particularly concerned about the high prevalence of fatty liver disease in children. It is setting them up on a path to liver failure and puts them at significant health risk," foundation Chairman Tom Nealon said in a statement.

Obesity is believed to be the chief culprit.
Unlike heart disease, hypertension and type 2 diabetes - long the subject of public awareness and education campaigns - non-alcoholic fatty liver disease remains little known and little understood among the U.S. population.

http://www.mcclatchy...sp=/99/200/328/

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 June 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

A side note. Walmart sells a glucose meter over the counter for $17.
The test strips are only 18 cents each.
For the Bayer brand, with insurance, the pharmacy cost is 70 cents each. $1 each without insurance thru the pharmacy!
A reading between 70-110 while fasting and 70-140 two hours after meals is considered normal.

Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 June 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#6 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Eat REAL food. High fat, medium protein and low carb works for me and this fellow:

Reversing Diabetes After a Visit to the Emergency Room

#7 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

How The US Men's Soccer Goalie Tim Howard Stays In Ridiculously Good Shape

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Before going on a low carb & sugar/ high fat diet, my wife's 14 day blood sugar level was 229!
Last month, after beginning a low carb low sugar high fat diet her 14 day average dropped to 184.
The latest 14-day reading as of today is 158.
In fact today's level, after eating, was 123, which is under the 140 maximum normal range.
She's feeling much better and is so excited that yesterday at Mimi's restaurant she avoided the basket of delicious warm fresh bread and even took the bread off of her sandwich.
It works. What else can I say?

Mine is usually between 72 and 105, but I'm much more active than she, and that activity burns up those blood sugars.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 02 July 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

While watching late night TV I saw Sharon Osborn telling about how she dropped weight by using the Atkins type diet; Low carbs & sugar, higher protein and fats.
That was followed by a hollywood trainer who commented: It's simple: avoid carbs and sugars.
While we are bombarded by all sorts of diet claims, this one has been EXTREMELY EASY AND EFFECTIVE for my wife and I.
No real calorie counting. No starving. Just a satiated appetite and a very thankful relieved bathroom weight scale.

CLAIM: Best Way to Lose Weight: PROTEIN!

The best way to lose weight? A diet filled with protein: Eating fish, eggs and meat every day is easiest way to stay slim

Those with a diet low in protein likely to gorge on carbohydrates and fat
Proportion of protein in Western diets has dropped - which could account for obesity levels
People must eat enough protein to satisfy appetites, scientists say
Protein is essential for the healthy growth and repair of body tissues

Instead of counting calories, those seeking to stay slim are better off enjoying a protein rich diet and eating fish, eggs and meat, scientists have found.
Because of the way the human body prioritises protein over carbohydrates and fat, those with a diet low in protein are likely to gorge on these other food groups to reach the target protein level.
Over the past 60 years the proportion of protein in Western diets has dropped, and researchers suggest this could account for soaring levels of obesity.
'We also need to get the balance of fats to carbs right,' he said.
'High protein diets might help us to lose weight, but if they involve other imbalances then other health problems will be introduced.'
Best avoided: Professor Raubenheimer says our bodies are not adapted to biscuits, cakes, pizzas and sugary drinks

Sharon Osborne: Before and after "Atkins":
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 05 July 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Eat REAL food. High fat, medium protein and low carb works for me and this fellow:
Reversing Diabetes After a Visit to the Emergency Room

My wife also had an emergency room visit last winter with a blood sugar level over 400!
Then she changed her diet.
My diabetic wife just got her latest A1C results. She's elated to report:
"My blood sugar level went from 9.8 to 6.4 in less than last 3 months."

No real "diet" but she just cut out sugar and carbs.
No bread, no chips, no potatoes, no pasta, all her favorites.

Lots of green leafy vegetables and wonderfully satiating dietary fats found in avocados, olives, butter, eggs, chicken, fish, pork and rib eye steaks!

Just like Chilidawgz said, and it works for her too!

The ketogenic diet may seem only as a short-term program, it is actually a guideline towards a new and different kind of life and nutrition, which will leave much more valuable and long-term effects than the ordinary short-term diet. Eventually you will also get rid of a number of unnecessary habits that contribute to weight gain. Eating after you already feel full, eating too much and unnecessary amounts of bread and other foods high in carbohydrates, desserts after meals, juices; all these are only some of the habits which will significantly contribute to weight gain, and I believe most people, who until recently didn't pay much attention to nutrition, have at least one of these habits. By quitting only some of these habits one can already improve noticeably, and if you add to that the introduction of a certain level of diet control and physical activity, success is guaranteed.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 July 2014 - 10:08 PM.