• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:57 PM

POG is holding up well, the stocks are not and indication is more decline in the stocks. The two things that still bother me is -- lots of bears, and POG is above several supports. The question of the day, which one will give???
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#2 pigeon

pigeon

• Traders-Talk User
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

When the market goes down it's index funds also go down. As ETFs are sold all stocks feel some pressure. I think the weakness of the gold stocks reflects the broad market pressure on all stocks. The fact that the POG is holding up indicates strength to me. If the gold stocks were weak in an up market I would take that as predictive of a lower POG to come. But gold stocks weak in a weak market doesn't mean as much.

#3 The_Gold_Miner

The_Gold_Miner

• Traders-Talk User
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:34 PM

Here is how my last basket of stocks is would be doing: Symbol Gain/Loss NTO 301.70 GSS -87.60 RANGY -2,258.75 IAG 1,688.20 NXG 479.50 AGT -444.59 CBJ 2,285.20 WHT -374.00 KGC 122.50 AUY 740.79 Total 2,452.94 Just about even, but the bottom has been dropping out over the last couple of days. By the time I get the sell signal this basket may break even. I think that the POG is only a small piece of the pie when trading gold stocks and I would not get it any more weight than I do any of the other indicators I use.

#4 The_Gold_Miner

The_Gold_Miner

• Traders-Talk User
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

Forgive the grammar.. heheheh :)

#5 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I tried to trade the sector long last week and about the only thing that had any gas was NEM. I don't like the look of the miners while gold deals with the $409-410 level (62% retrace of '04 decline).

Good ratios to follow are these from Dr. AU's site. Dr. AU's gold charts

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=$HUI:$GOLD,uu[r,a]dhlayyay[d20001001,20041231][pc50!c200!f][vc60][ilb14][J30193256,Y].gif

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=$HUI:$XAU,uu[r,a]dhlaynay[d20001001,20041231][pc50!c200!f][iua12,26,9!lb14][J33625426,Y].gif

Near as I can tell, this next pullback in the sector will tell all. That is the difference being whether we will get a monster rally later this year, or whether the bull is over for the time being. Gold may battle with resistance for a while here, but it is the share price action that counts.

I think TOM mention a little while ago to watch the $CDN vs. gold. Curious that the $CDN/USD bottomed mid-June and then rallied until now. It looks to be forming a top soon which seems to coincide with gold topping out at its best levels in July.

Off to Canada next week for a visit with family. I don't expect to be doing much until I get back.

cheers,

john
"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#6 Slothrop

Slothrop

• TT Member
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:15 PM

XAU closes with a dragonfly doji, a reversal pattern -- I am struck by how little this index fell off with the POG selling down to 400.

#7 swanstkdh

swanstkdh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:55 AM

Would you elaborate? Everyone thinks this will bottom at 75? Maybe 81?

#8 TomD

TomD

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:01 AM

john very nice long term chart of the HUI/gold ratio....very interesting...probably THE key chart to watch going forward silentone the fact that NEM is outperforming the HUI is usually a negative...everyone is trading NEM because itis one of the few golds that has real liquidity to it and right now I am very much of the mind that liquidity is a problem for all markets the dollar is at a key juncture as well...if it going to put in new upleg then this as good a launch point as one could expect neck line support with weekly stochastics bottomed out and price action still within the realm of "correction" still on the sidelines myself...watching...but it that HUI/Gold ratio resolves to the upside...then I may find myself growing horns....but until then
Health Canada has just released a study which shows that 100% of the population who have been exposed to whole milk products will die.

#9 TomD

TomD

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:36 PM

silentone was trying to duplicate your chart.....yours is linear isn't it? when you use a log scale the result is different..particuarly the main trendline
Health Canada has just released a study which shows that 100% of the population who have been exposed to whole milk products will die.

#10 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:57 PM

Hi Tom, I just noticed that today. I would be using log charts for something like that, yet these are linear. The log charts already show broken trendlines. Those charts belong to Dr. Au. He has some very nice charts yet I am surprised that he has some linear ones there. Anyhooo, the bottom of the XAU gap at 86.5 gave way and the path of least resistance is down for now. cheers, john
"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain