• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

My best guess is that the HUI is still making a triangle. In Elliott Wave terms, it looks like a big, meandering corrective phase for nearly the past two years, and since the May 2005 low we'd be going up in wave "D" of a developing ABCDE.

If so, I see wave D as an overall three-wave (or seven, if you prefer) move, developing as a double zig-zag.

Posted Image

From Friday's close right about 220, I've added a conceptualized ending to the second supposed wave "C." The move from May can be counted bullishly, but IMO it counts much better as a corrective wave, rather than an impulse. To me this looks like a market messing around rather than one taking off for real.

This thing could blow right through the divergences and erase all this bearish conjecture. However:

Commerical traders are still heavily short gold futures. Not an all-time-high for shorts, but in the past year there have only 15 times when their short position was higher. A caveat to this is in Silver, where the Commercials have their 2nd least short position in the past year.

From being net long, at the last reporting the Commercials slammed into a large short position in the Euro versus the US Dollar. On balance, I think this argues against Dollar weakness and Gold strength.

Doug

#2 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hi Doug,

We may get a triangle as you suggest, but I doubt that very much now. The May low was too low and a very good bottom to suggest otherwise. I think HUI 240 gets tested and then sold, but then the miners B/O from there. Here's Frank's comment this weekend.

CAN YOU HEAR THE TRAIN ...

I like the weekly summation chart the best.

Posted Image

cheers,

john
"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#3 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

John, it may well be that we are in 3 of 3 up from this past May. If so, we won't have to wait long to find out, and the shorter-term momentum divergences will vanish. May was indeed a good bottom, but that it is lower than the previous year's doesn't invalidate any bearish counts, IMO. Those Summation charts you linked to are compelling -- and it's amazing how different that index was at gold stocks' low in May 2004, the index being at a top then. Long-term I'm very bullish on mining stocks, but for now I'm questioning if the overall bull is back in business. Maybe I'm just missing the train's departure.... Doug

#4 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

SilentOne,

Thanks for the post with summation charts. Here's a chart with the link:

http://www.smallinve...ld/GoldMOSC.htm

#5 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

till gold takes out the highs the impulsive 5 wave down still needs respect....