Beginner's question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:52 PM

I generally trade index funds, but I have been watching the technicals for gold, and think I might be able to figure something out every now and then. What are the best stocks or etf's to trade?

#2 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:06 PM

Hey Selecto, good question and there are many people at TT who I hope reply, since they know a lot more about it than me. For trading vehicles I'd think you want the more "high beta" stocks that move a lot, relatively, to bullion price, and Placer Dome comes to mind along with the components of the HUI index, which are companies that don't hedge their production. PDG, CDE, BGO, GLG, GG, GSS, GFI, KGC, NEM, GOLD, AEM, EGO, FCX, HL, HMY, IAG, MDG There are a lot of more junior producer companies, and developmental and exploration stocks that are VERY volatile. GLD is one ETF for gold. iShares has IAU, too. I appreciate your level-headedness, and hope you post more on the subject. Best, Doug

#3 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

If you want to trade gold shares another way to get some bang is with ProFunds precious metal fund, it's leveraged 150% and that way you don't have individual stock risk:

http://www.profunds....ofile.asp?id=55

My favorite gold company is MDG and CDE/PAAS for silver. HL is interesting but Chavez is a madman in Venezuela.
Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#4 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

Hey Chilidawgz -- good suggestion on the ProFunds PMPIX. Be a lot better than paying a whole slew of commissions. Best, Doug