Reading the Gold Tea Leaves

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

Well, this past week sucked. From being totally out of PM trading positions in late Sept. I got sucked back in on some spec positions (read GSS, BGO) and got tagged this week. Worst of all I got stopped out on Thursday which was probably a low of some kind. Lack of patience and greed (ie I don't want to miss the train!!) were my downfall.

I am stumped as to where we are short term. We can do anything from here. But looking further out, there is a major market low coming early next year. I suspect we flop around until then.

I had HUI 219-220 as my "line-in-the-sand" for the bull phase to continue. Now it looks like it will take some time. I think we can bounce this week and maybe even make a push back to the highs into Nov., but a breakout in the gold indices looks much less certain for 2005. In fact 2006 is more likely.

Posted Image

As for the Gann side of things, I still say HUI 224 and a cluster of fibs around this number are key. Look at this long term chart.

Posted Image

We are right there in terms of staying very bullish.

I suspect that I got my drawers dropped right at the wrong moment. If we pause or pullback on Monday, I'll play a long trade in a liquid name or two. Who knows, maybe the gold and silver stocks will surprise us yet. I'll play it for a trade right now, not committing beyond that.

We certainly can't get more bearish around here. :lol:

BTW - mss I was looking at your chart and trying to match major HUI lows. It seems the rate plot predicts or preceeds each low, but does not define the degree of the low. Thus I read the chart to say there will be another important low coming, but what will that be relative to the May bottom? Look at last year for example.

Posted Image

I should add one final thought. You know how to really make money in this PM game? Wait for the breakout to new highs before really getting long. I did it in 2002 and 2003. It has me thinking.

cheers,

john

PS I see that Jeff Kern is hedging his bets.
"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain