• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

Just thought I'd share an interesting experience. Most hospitals across the country are converting to a system known as "Hospitalists", where full-time doctors take care of patients in the hospital, instead of your private doctor taking care of you. There are good and bad things about this. In terms of efficiency, it can't be beat. A doctor in private practice in his/her office all day has limited time to take care of his "in patients", so a Hospitalist can be more efficient. On the other hand, you lose that doctor-patient bond, which can be very soothing to a scared, sick patient. I continue to see my patients, but most of the docs in town have crossed over. Months ago when they were having some scheduling issues they asked if I'd be willing to take a weekend and I agreed. Well, I'm stuck in the hospital this weekend, seeing other people's patients and its been a real eye opener. Once again I'm reminded about how much of "health" is luck. You can eat right, take vitamins, and think only good thoughts, but that's no guarantee against some scary stuff. We've had 2 cases this weekend already of very sick, young healthy women with very, very scary viral syndromes. One, 41 years old, had a stomach bug 2 weeks ago, was getting better and then began falling over, slurring speech, etc. She has Guillan-Barre syndrome, a rare, potentially devastating, neurologic syndrome that can follow a simple viral illness. I believe she'll make it. I transferred her to a major medical center for intensive care, including cleansing her blood (plasmapheresis). The second is only 25 yrs old. Also had a stomach bug (vomiting), was also getting better and then developed high fevers (103 to 104), stiff neck, killer headache. SHe has Viral Meningitis. She'll get better, but jeezuz, makes you nervous.... The rest of the really sick I'm taking care of are mostly very old, most have lung and heart disease (cholesterol, inactivity, and REMOTE smoking history. None are current smokers). But what's interesting is that these are actually very normal people. True, most of them could probably have taken better care of themselves overall, but its not like they were bums. They are mothers/sisters/wives etc. who led so-called normal modern lives and went about thier business. But, if I had to sum up what I'm seeing its this: (and I've said it before). LOWER your cholesterol. Don't smoke. Get aerobically active. Get a good check up once a year. Get annual mammograms. Get routine colonoscopes and prostate checks. Treat your high blood pressure and your cholesterol, even if it takes a pill. EVERY ONE of the adult patients I'm seeing in the hospital this weekend would not be here, or would be a whole lot healthier if they had simply followed this advice. Nothing too dramtic here. Just killing time before the next emergency. And one other thing: not one of these people ever "expected" to be/get sick, but they all shared with me that had they known, they would have spent a little more time enjoying life and being kinder to their loved ones. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice