SPY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

I look at this weekly chart and I can't see any potential explosive upside in the near term. $SPX 1475 is the ceiling IMO given the upper bollinger and where these indicators lie (ie. very overbought). I am considering scaling into SPY shorts for a swing trade (I already started on Friday). Am I missing something?

I guess one can't preclue a blowoff few days to top this off, but the upside seems awfully limited.

cheers,

john

Posted Image

Edited by SilentOne, 05 February 2007 - 07:47 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#2 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

I covered on this mornings dip. This coming top may taker a few days longer. Feb. 12th provides an interesting turn date. :D cheers, john

Edited by SilentOne, 05 February 2007 - 10:38 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#3 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:23 AM

why is an upside forecast of interest? Is this not a method doomed to failure? connect key points from 1999 to current, and it is visible that uptrend received a new launch point on the move above 1380-1390....bears have been in a losing game ever since. How high it goes does not matter since no one knows...what is known is the uptrend has been given new vigor on a multi-year chart breakout, and there exists some disbelief that the uptrend is likely to continue. Daily I receive private emails for weeks now from competent traders who are shorting ES. Has that been a winning play to date?

Edited by hiker, 06 February 2007 - 07:24 AM.

#4 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

hi hiker,

Daily I receive private emails for weeks now from competent traders who are shorting ES. Has that been a winning play to date?

Yeah I know. I learned my lesson in 2004 as I kept shorting the market and being frustrated by the lack of any downside. This was after catching the March 10 lows to the day. I have to say that I gaze at that $SPX trend from the March/2003 lows with amazement. I don't think there is a pullback of much more than 10% at any point in time.

cheers,

john

#5 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:46 PM

John, the founder of prophet charts has some interesting long term index charts...at his site

the charts have not been updated since the date of his post on 1/26

http://tradertim.blo...alled-bull.html

home page -

http://tradertim.blogspot.com/