Photo

The Secret - DVD well worth looking at. So says Oprah.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

Friend from New Zealand sent me "The Secret" Australian DVD and since I've been into this sort of thing for a long time (how our thoughts / emotions create the events that occur in our life etc) ... I found it extremely interesting ... and well done. Recent trip to Acapulco came about via using "The Secret" principles and I was surprised to have turned the TV on only a few times while on vacation and who was on? Oprah, talking about "The Secret" DVD. Twilight zone moment. The Secret, of course, is the "Law of Attraction." Like attracts like ... thoughts of anger, hatred, frustration etc, attract more negative things / events / people into our life. Rich get richer, poor get poorer ... the sick get sicker, the strong get stronger ... up to a point. :P And whatever we focus on expands. Focus on what we're afraid of or what we DON"T want and we only create more of those events. I especially like the part about creating "vision boards" as these have had a tremendous impact on my life ... over the past several years. But visualization without FEELING, in my mind, doesn't attract the desired results. Yet some people seem unable to feel with any depth ... maybe we poets are just born with a sixth sense. :blush: My mentor from 12 years ago, Jack Canfield, is interviewed on the DVD, along with several other people who teach similiar principles. Alas, some people will view this and still not "get it" ... or just not believe it. Such is life, but the more people in the world who DO "get it" the better off we'll all be. So much more to say ... but if you're interested, have a look. Best to all, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 20 February 2007 - 03:43 PM.

#2 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

" Think and Grow Rich " by Napoleon Hill (written in the 1930's ) " The Power of Positive Thinking " by Norman Vincent Peale ( written in the 1950's) "Chicken Soup for the Soul " by Jack Canfield ( written the 1990's) The theme has been around for quite a while and lots of books have been sold espousing this " Secret " I do find humor that the " Secret " has it's own website and promotes the upcoming movie of the book. There's nothing like cashing in on people searching for meaning in their lives.

#3 gm_general

gm_general

• TT Member+
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

Calmcookie, if you haven't read it, try "The Nature of Personal Reality" by Jane Roberts, one of many in a series by her.

#4 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Aristotle thought that all life derived from interaction between plant and animal. His ideas were so widely accepted that it took nearly 1500 years for a few brave thinkers to break away and dare to imagine other influences at work in our universe. Galileleo was punished to death, with the threat of the rack, when he proved that the sun, not the earth, was at the center of the universe. The Church had determined that they KNEW the "secret" of the universe and nothing more needed to be known. His punishment was so severe that all the leading scientists of his day, (Kepler and others) all moved away from the mediteranean to escape the influence of the church and science remained dead there to this day. Darwin and his pal came to the conclusion that life was not static, but evolved. He was ridiculed and the world went into a serious uproar because they felt threatened that the SECRET of the universe could be attacked in such a way. Alchemists ruled the general thoughts of those in power for nearly 1000 years, with foolish and simple experiments that "showed" lead to gold. Thier simpleton explanations were so warm and fuzzy that people accepted them without question. Einstein showed that all of our perception is relative, via time and space, yet he too kept pointing to "God" although its not known if he was just chuckling about this or serious, but Niels Bohr one day told him to shut up and "stop telling God what to do" :) The biggest "secret" of all was the over-running of man's evolution by the so-called "Judeo-Christian" view that has snared humanity in its clutch for several thousand years, and more recently has morphed into increasingly eccentric belief systems, ranging from radical islam, to evangelical fury, to "new age" thinking and ever evolving ways of discovering the alchemist's "secrets" of the hidden life-forces within. The evolution of mankind is the occassional giant leap forward (Think Newton, Darwin, Pasteur, The United States constitution etc) and then the two steps back of the masses (think the Vatican, Hitler, herbalism, and the ennui of the masses). And, as Kurt Vonnegut would say, So It Goes..... mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice