Photo

Is this a correction or the beginning of a bear mkt?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ken29

ken29

• Traders-Talk User
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

Any bulls think this gap down is another buying opportunity? :lol: The big question is, is this the beginning of a 5-10% correction or the beginning of a bear mkt of 20%+ decline? ;)

#2 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Any bulls think this gap down is another buying opportunity? :lol:

The big question is, is this the beginning of a 5-10% correction or the beginning of a bear mkt of 20%+ decline? ;)

Noone knows for sure.....What is wrong with just following the tape?
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

First of who cares? Really. Why noone knows for sure? Well a lot of signs for now at least... The utilities and energy are still showing signs of strength despite the carnage in the markets, I would think there is still some sort of liquidity and economic strength. This will end up being a trading range until everything turns down again. For now, this is the beginning of a correction, imho... - kisa

#4 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

Maybe Ben called Alan and asked him if he could say something to take some exuberance out of the market. Shang em high drop notwithstanding. (did they translate what he said in Chinese ?) either way you have to admit some sort of correction had to be coming. If the bulls bite on this, and then it drops a few more times, then maybe it will be healthy. Funny, i thought seriously yesterday about buying Rydex inverse funds on Dow and NDX.
OTIS.

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

For all practical purposes, this is NOT the start of a Bear market. The sentiment signature isn't there. It also means that even if the print high for a few indices was hit, the majors will be visiting theirs or coming very close again in the not too distant future (meaning less than a year and probably within days or weeks). That said, more decline is perfectly consistent with the sentiment that I've been looking at, and such is what I've been saying for some time. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

8 to 10%......then moon shot. But I digress and repeating myself.

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:02 PM

Any bulls think this gap down is another buying opportunity?

:D

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

God help me. I woke up, that bank stock bounced right where I thought it should, so I bought. In my personal trading based on my own work this year I've had two winners and one flat. I'm due for a loss. I think WM may wind up being it. By the way, I'm only looking for a couple of days of upside here at the best. It's a very very short term trade because I'm bored.

Edited by Sentient Being, 27 February 2007 - 01:22 PM.

In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#9 ken29

ken29

• Traders-Talk User
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

Mark, I'm no expert in sentiment but I have to think we should get more margin selling in the coming weeks especially now that the margin debt reached new record high of $285 bn. :sweatingbullets:

#10 beta

beta

lasergirl

• TT Patron+
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

8 to 10%......then moon shot. But I digress and repeating myself.

That's my vote.

I suspect this is a typical pre-Opex set-up. March Opex requires major gamesmanship.

Here's my playbook for the next 3-6 months:

1. Sell ITM March putz two weeks before March Opex (around March 2).

2. Buy WOTC April calls 1 week before March Opex (around March 9).

3. Dump April calls on expiry Friday for $$$.

4. Then the real landslide begins ....

5. Buyback everything @ 30% discount during the late summer doldrums. :lol: :lol:

Edited by beta, 27 February 2007 - 02:04 PM.

"Daytrading -- An Extreme Sport !"