• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

Here's a lay article about a recently published study on VItamins. The study was done by a non-profit group that organizes very thoughtful research into a variety of medical claims. Be careful. Vitamins might kill you. The Vitamin lobby has already begun shredding this study to pieces. Do NOT read this if you have a closed mind and already have formed your opinion, regardless of facts.

Link to Article

mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#2 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

Interesting article and nothing really new to people who have a true interest in the subject. This is the truest statement: "But the findings are consistent with evidence suggesting that some nutrients may be harmful at high doses or could interfere with the body's natural defenses, the researchers said." Will add only two other comments, 1) ALL things in moderation, 2) Under certain conditions as DIRECTED by your Dr. some doses of vitamins are very helpful, E, B6, B12, Iron, Potassium, etc. All in all a very good study. mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

"Will add only two other comments, 1) ALL things in moderation, 2) Under certain conditions as DIRECTED by your Dr. some doses of vitamins are very helpful, E, B6, B12, Iron, Potassium, etc."

#1. The "moderation" for vitamins is that a delicious, balanced healthy diet will get you all that you need.

#2. You are right. There are several known serious diseases that come from TOO FEW of certain vitamins. These can be measured and diagnosed. The treatment, for these conditions, includes replacing those vitamins (or in some interesting cases, removing the cause of the vitamin deficiency. B12, deficiency, for instance, is rarely a dietary problem, but can be caused by fish-tapeworms, appendicitis, ulcers, crohn's disease, and other odd but fascinating conditions).

There is no know disease caused by Vitamin E and there are no conditions that have been shown to be improved by excess amounts of any vitamins yet.

#3. Iron and Potassium are not vitamins. Iron is a metal that is needed for proper production of red blood cells. Potassium has a bazillion uses in the bodies' metabolism, but between our brain, adrenal glands and kidneys, our potassium levels are maintained with amazing precision. We don't need to muck with that, most of the time.

We do see cases of Iron Overload syndrome from folks self-medicating with iron. Excess iron gets deposited in the liver and causes scarring, or cirrhosis, just like alchohol poisoning. Bad problem.

mm

#4 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

"Will add only two other comments, 1) ALL things in moderation, 2) Under certain conditions as DIRECTED by your Dr. some doses of vitamins are very helpful, E, B6, B12, Iron, Potassium, etc."
mm

PLEASE READ VERY SLOW:

Ya know Doctor, I went out of my way to support the knowledge you were trying to refer to this board. But because you are so stubborn and so dedicated to the concept that anyone who responds to your post is a "babbling idiot" that you wont read slow enough to understand what us lesser intelligent mortals are trying to relay.
THEREFORE READ MY ANSWERS VERY SLOWLY AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS BEING CONVEYED.

#1. The "moderation" for vitamins is that a delicious, balanced healthy diet will get you all that you need.
----A) Not everyone can eat a delicious balanced diet, you are a DR. and you know this.

#2. You are right. There are several known serious diseases that come from TOO FEW of certain vitamins. These can be measured and diagnosed. The treatment, for these conditions, includes replacing those vitamins (or in some interesting cases, removing the cause of the vitamin deficiency. B12, deficiency, for instance, is rarely a dietary problem, but can be caused by fish-tapeworms, appendicitis, ulcers, crohn's disease, and other odd but fascinating conditions).

There is no know disease caused by Vitamin E and there are no conditions that have been shown to be improved by excess amounts of any vitamins yet.
----A) READ as "DIRECTED" by your DR., had a aneurism behind the knee, rare, massive surgery to remove. The Dr. said take "E" to help healing etc. Had bladder cancer, Dr. said take "E" for healing etc. TWO different type Drs. four years apart and do not know each other - same recommendation.

#3. Iron and Potassium are not vitamins. Iron is a metal that is needed for proper production of red blood cells. Potassium has a bazillion uses in the bodies' metabolism, but between our brain, adrenal glands and kidneys, our potassium levels are maintained with amazing precision. We don't need to muck with that, most of the time.
---- A) Iron and Potassium are not vitamins, you are correct, BUT the point I was trying to make there are certain supplements some people need to take. I take Potassium because I am on a diuretic.

We do see cases of Iron Overload syndrome from folks self-medicating with iron. Excess iron gets deposited in the liver and causes scarring, or cirrhosis, just like alcohol poisoning. Bad problem.
----A) In addition to Iron overload, there is Iron deficiency in some people that cannot be corrected be diet. Don't forget Zinc and some other trace metals.

The point to this response is once again you have attempted to exercise your superior knowledge in a way that say NOBODY knows more than you about medicine or life. Ease up and people will read and learn more and at the same time you may really find out you don't know everything.
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#5 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Wait, hold on, stop the presses. It is very unclear to me how you jumped to the anger side of this. There must be something inherently wrong with me that I am completely unaware of. I was, with no malice, no sense of superiority, nada, zip, zilch, simply responding to and clarifying technical points. I responded in a good mood. I felt that the information was informative. I love medicine. I love science. I love the pursuit of knowledge. This is how I think and communicate. Your retort has competely caught me off guard. I do not feel superior. I don't feel anything, except excited about my field of knowledge. If you can point out to me what I said wrong, please do, and accept my sincerest humblest apology. I am so, so sorry. As for the Vitamin E thing, This is just wrong information, passed along from doctor to doctor and patient to patient. I addressed it in a post a long time ago. We tend to go with warm and fuzzy explanations sometimes, doctors, too. But that's where science comes in. There is no data supporting the use of Vitamin E in healing. But details on that later, if you are interested. Again, I am really, really sorry if somehow I offended you. I only meant to have dialogue. Humbly yours, mm