Chemicals in washing liquids and suncream

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Just passing along some info that came up whilst talking to folks recently that I thought is worth mentioning ( though i'm sure many here are aware, and will have strong opinions of their own.) First is washing up liquid and other potential chemical sources. I take a fairly pragmatic view that i'm going to get some exposure in our toxic world so I don't obsesses about it (I have enough other obsessions :lol: )....everything has risk...but something you wash your dishes with, and potentially are putting into your body everyday...that is one i've always tried to avoid. We currently use Citrus based washing up liquid, it works as well any chemical brand, and for those that care( like me) it doesn't get into he food chain and damage the environment or us again that way. Likewise its easy to buy non-chemical hand washes, and also clothes washing detergent. These product have all got alot better and cheaper over the years, and I must credit Trader Joe's for providing more reasonably priced items. Also one many people don't think about is sunscreen. I have young kids and many friends with young kids so this topic came up as I'm in Arizona. People cover their kids in these chemical sunscreens every day for months in the summer. There is a distinct danger of absorbing chemicals through the skin. We can argue about the science, but there's definitely a big question mark about the causes of skin cancer, and whether chemical suncreams are actually helping or contributing., let alone any side effects from the chemicals which is my main concern. I don't want to argue about that, if you think they are safe, great go ahead and use them. But if you want an alternative, there is an Australian brand called blue lizard sensitive, that whilst not perfect, avoids most of the potentially harmful chemicals for a reasonable price ( there's others, but most are very expensive for mass use). They use minute reflexive Zinc Oxide and Titanium, which infact work much better to scatter all wavelengths of UV rays. I've been using similar products for 5 years here and they are non greasy, and work. You'll find it cheapest by searching online, because as far as I know, its only sold by Basha's here in South West. If you know of any other non chemical sunscreens that are reasonable priced I'd like to hear about 'em, thanks. Better still buy the UV clothing, you can get cool looking surfer tops for the pools, so then you've just got the face/head to worry about....its hard to get kids to keep on hats though....if anyone has idea's on that, superglue them to the head perhaps? :rolleyes: Mark

Edited by entropy, 21 March 2007 - 12:18 PM.

Question everything, especially what you believe you know. The foundation of science is questioning the data, not trusting the data. I only trust fully falsified, non vested interest 'data', which is extremely rare in our world of paid framing narratives 'psy ops'. Market Comments https://markdavidson.substack.com/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznkbTx_dpw_-Y9bBN3QR-tiNSsFsSojB

#2 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:38 PM

Super glue probably isn't your best idea. lol I have trouble with chemicals. One sunscreen I can use on my body has gotta be the cheapest one out there is CVS suncreen with zinc oxide - here's a list of the ingredients - Active Ingredients Octinoxate 7.5%; Octocrylene 8.0%; Zinc Oxide 6.86% Inactive Ingredients Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice; Beeswax; Cetyl Dimethicone; Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone; Cyclomethicone; Diazolidinyl Urea; Dimethicone; Disodium EDTA; Ethylhexyl Stearate; Hexyl Laurate; Hydrogenated Castor Oil; Methylparaben; Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate; Propylene Glycol; Propylparaben; Sodium Chloride; Tocopheryl Acetate; Water Now that's a ton of stuff. But here's what is in the one you mentioned - Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 2%, Oxybenzone 3%, Zinc Oxide 6% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Trilmethylated Silica/Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil And Sorbitol Oleate And Beeswax And Stearic Acid, PEG-7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben And Ethylparaben And Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea And Fragrance. It's nuts, isn't it? I can't use that stuff on my face. Either one of them. I'd be a mess in about a minute. So, for my face, I rinse it with tea first. Pat dry. Then I use plain old white zinc oxide that I have mixed with bare minerals powder. (it's flesh color) That's it. Bare minerals is a great line for people who can't use chemicals. Sadly, they don't make a sunscreen but their makeup powder mixed with zinc oxide is something that works and I can use on my face for sunscreen. Bare minerals is made by Bare Escentuals (yep, it's spelled like that). You can buy it directly from them online or through other people online. I really love their product. No chemicals, all minerals. Amazing. And it works.

Edited by esther231, 21 March 2007 - 10:43 PM.

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#3 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:02 AM

Hey Esther ..yes its nuts...totally nuts....oh wait, we better not mention nuts again. :D

The list you gave is for blue lizard regular, yeah has all the chemicals just like all the other sunscreams:

http://www.crownlabo...nscreenback.pdf

The one I mentioned is blue lizard sensitive (or baby) which doesn't have any active chemicals - just zinc oxide and titanium, see here

http://www.crownlabo...abyback_000.pdf

Thanks I will take a look at the Bare Escentuals product.

Mark.

Edited by entropy, 22 March 2007 - 12:03 AM.

Question everything, especially what you believe you know. The foundation of science is questioning the data, not trusting the data. I only trust fully falsified, non vested interest 'data', which is extremely rare in our world of paid framing narratives 'psy ops'. Market Comments https://markdavidson.substack.com/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznkbTx_dpw_-Y9bBN3QR-tiNSsFsSojB

#4 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

Mark, it's gotta be me but it looks like the same crazy list. Wouldn't be surprised if I am losing my mind though. I'm open to the thought. :)
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#5 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

Mark, it's gotta be me but it looks like the same crazy list.
Wouldn't be surprised if I am losing my mind though.
I'm open to the thought. :)

Ah well there's the irony...as your open to the idea you could have lost your mind.. you surely haven't!....whereas, its the one's that are sure they are sane that need to worry, but don't . :blink:

Here's the list , i've put some comments in [ next to ingredients.]

http://www.drugstore...0_sensitive.htm

Bottle Turns Blue in UV light
  • For Sensitive Skin
  • Immediate Protection
  • UVA and UVB Protection
  • Chemical Free
  • Fragrance Free
[ Its fragrance free which is something I look for, I react to hours of inhaling petrochemical fragrances. Its says 'chemical free', by which they mean free of man made active chemicals, which are the ones that are most potentially dangerous, and it has higher amounts of Zinc and Titanium than you usually find to act as block. ]

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 5% (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide 10% (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate [fatty acid], C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Trimethylated Silica/Dimethicone, Octododecyl Neopentanoate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG 7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sorbitol Oleate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Beeswax, Stearic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Disoidum EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Tocopheryl Acetate

[ Yeah it has a long list of 'inactive' ingredients with scary names, but:
1. mostly these are naturally occuring substances - vitamins, fatty acids, oils, weak acid , sugar etc used for preservatives, moisturizing etc etc

2. These substances should not permeate the skin into the blood, and definitely not cell DNA because the molecule sizes should be too big. That is the main concern with the active chemicals, that traces show up in the blood/Cell DNA and could cause cancer, especially if left on all the time i.e. should always shower to wash sunscreen off after use.
* of course, the other danger is as you mentioned a skin reaction to one of these,
..so if there's products without them it would be better still to reduce that risk. ]

[

Mark.

Edited by entropy, 22 March 2007 - 12:24 PM.

#6 muppet

muppet

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Your post initially looked like "SUN SCREAM" to me ... til I looked again ... funny visualization. :lol: I think your topic is important. Most people think of their skin as some sort of impervious barrier .... but it can easily be penetrated by a wide variety of chemicals. And these substances go into your blood stream. Even thinking about what kind of shampoo you're using is worthwhile .... I mean, afterall, we're rubbing this stuff into our scalp ... what's it doing to us? Some people believe that the common ingredient in shampoo (bubbling agent, sodium lauryl sulphate) is actually hazardous to hair follicles ... not sure if that specific example is true, but you get my point. Best to the board, M. :) :huh: :D

Edited by muppet, 22 March 2007 - 01:34 PM.

#7 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

By George, I think I got it. So, the list is long and odd but basically okay for most people. It's not okay for me - sigh - as usual. My eye always goes to see if there's anything in it that I'll react to and it's how I judge products. It's really unfair cause most people don't have allergies to the same stuff I do. The upside is I have none of the normal allergies and can lay in grass and play with dusty dogs to my heart's content. lol