• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

One in five adults in the UK is obese The rising levels of obesity could bankrupt the NHS if left unchecked, a British Medical Journal report warns. Experts, including government A&E tsar George Alberti and Glasgow University professor Naveed Sattar, said obesity treatment took up 9% of the NHS budget.

Edited by calmcookie, 24 April 2007 - 03:05 PM.

#2 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

Yep Cookie there's no question about it. I went back to UK to work for 1 year in 2001 after leaving in 1995, and I was shocked at the rise in obesity. It looks like the UK will follow the US example, and its all for the same reasons - everyone now eats fast food for lunch instead of preparing food, they drive more, exercise less, and eat the same processed foods as here. I have become more and more struck by the scale of this problem recently for two reasons. One is trying to give fat loss advice on another large fitness board, and just amazed at several things- 1. that most people are trying really hard to 'diet' and exercise, but not getting any thinner. 2. that people are totally confused due to constantly changing advice from media, and hence the 40$billion a year, 28,000 'diet product' industry. It very sad, my wife works in a gym and i've I've been talking to the personal trainers. People come in and flog away for an hour on some machine day after day, but get knowhere. So even the ones' that are trying most are failing. Then I was talking to my 9 year old twin boys who take in school lunch prepared by my wife to be healthy. IF you do not prepare food, your only option is to buy food from vendors the school allows to come on site - of course, its fast food and that's what most kids choose. My sons told me kids at their table frequently make comments about what they eat i.e. 'cos they have never seen a vegatable, or yogurt for example etc and think food comes in 3 food groups - fries, burgers and soda. So now we can add peer pressure to eat cr*p to the influences on are young kids, is it any wonder how fat kids are getting? why are schools allowing that, crazy, and why would parents let thier kids eat that?, that's rhetorical, because I see it with all our friends - they didn't get the kids to eat healthy when they were younger, and so now they'd have the 'battle to end all battles' to re-educate their kids. Then add to that most parents are too stressed, tired and lacking time to fight such battles... ..its an ugly result. Mark.

Edited by entropy, 26 April 2007 - 06:03 PM.

Question everything, especially what you believe you know. The foundation of science is questioning the data, not trusting the data. I only trust fully falsified, non vested interest 'data', which is extremely rare in our world of paid framing narratives 'psy ops'. Market Comments https://markdavidson.substack.com/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznkbTx_dpw_-Y9bBN3QR-tiNSsFsSojB