• 2,126 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Chinese stocks.

#2 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

That's what it was ? Greenspan has more power than Bernanke in his words.

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

Anyone who has a little sense can tell it is a bubble, the problem is when will it pop?

#4 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

he will be correct one of these days. irrational exuberance 1996, top 2k. calling the markets is not his forte'. dharma

#5 paulstan

paulstan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

I believe that Greenspan is a mouthpiece for bernanke -- can't believe that he's so insensitive as to voice personal opinions without considering their impact on global markets and politics. An indirect way for the US Fed to exhert influence to reign in looming problems?

#6 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

Agree! but why state the obvious

his objective surely can't be create panic or uncertainty

I believe that Greenspan is a mouthpiece for bernanke -- can't believe that he's so insensitive as to voice personal opinions without considering their impact on global markets and politics. An indirect way for the US Fed to exhert influence to reign in looming problems?

#7 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

he will be correct one of these days. irrational exuberance 1996, top 2k.
calling the markets is not his forte'. dharma

Well said. Makes me think it will fall a little then literally quadruple before imploding. Anyway, talk about stating the obvious!

Edited by Tor, 23 May 2007 - 02:37 PM.

Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#8 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

I also think so, what will happen to the Fed's credibility?!?

#9 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

Greenspan is selling fear; Question is why is he selling it and who is buying it?

1. Did the US-China talks not go well?
2. Is he trying to deflect attention away from the bond market?
3. Is he trying to get traders to lean one way in prep of goosing the other? What market bonds? Stocks?
4. Or does he just suffer from old man's disease?

I offer this: the FEB down draft was preluded by Greenspan recession comments. It was blamed on the
China market selling however it was likely caused by sub-prime melt down issues in the US.

#10 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

It seems that everyone "knows" the Chinese stock market is a bubble about to pop. That makes me think that when there is some sort of crash in Shanghai, it won't have as much impact on World markets (much less World economies) as everyone is fearing. I could easily see China having a 1987-type event. It will seem like a big deal at the time, but in the long run, it won't be much more than a blip in an ongoing multi-decade mega-bull. Chinese J6P-types need to be shaken out of the market (as their American counterparts were in 1987 and again in 2000) to prepare for a more sustained advance.