Photo

Alzheimers - Ginkgo, Phosphatidylserine, Huperzine, Vinpocetine, Acetyl-L-carnitine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of severe mental deterioration (dementia) in the elderly. It has been estimated that 30 to 50% of people over 85 years old suffer from this disease. Dr. Joel Wallach states that the incidence of alzheimers began to skyrocket when conventional "wisdom" encouraged people to eat a low fat diet. It is known that vitamin E (contained in most "good" dietary fats) deficiency is linked to an increased incidence of dementia. Other treatments for Alzheimers / dementia include - Ginkgo, Phosphatidylserine, Huperzine, Vinpocetine, Acetyl-L-carnitine (several studies support these approaches). Less well studied treatments include - Herbs sage and lemon balm. These may improve cognitive function in people with mild to moderate Alzheimers disease. Long and vital life to all, C.C. :P

Edited by calmcookie, 04 June 2007 - 01:01 PM.

#2 slatedrake

slatedrake

• Traders-Talk User
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

I usually take around 1gram of Acetyl-L-carnitine a day to improve my own cognitive functions. I've been a big fan for a few years now.
Before you start trading get your brain around risk control. Know how much leverage you're using and know when to go to cash if you're wrong.

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Description: Vinpocetine is synthesized from the vinca alkaloid apovincamine, which is extracted from the lesser periwinkle plant Vinca minor. Vinpocetine has been used in Europe, Russia, and Japan since the late 1970s for memory loss, cognitive impairment including for Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, and improving outcomes in patients with acute ischemic stroke. Additionally, preliminary evidence indicates that vinpocetine may be effective in treating Meniere's disease and in improving hearing loss/tinnitus secondary to trauma. Vinpocetine is available under the trade name Cavinton® in Germany. The majority of data supporting the use of vinpocetine for cognitive impairment have been published prior to 1990. In a Cochrane's review, the authors conclude that clinical data supporting its use are inconclusive; furthermore, in the 3 studies reviewed, definitions for cognitive decline and/or dementia were inconsistent with small numbers of patients receiving vinpocetine for longer than 6 months. Studies in the use of vinpocetine for dementia associated with Alzheimer's disease have not demonstrated benefit. Similarly, a Cochrane's review for vinpocetine in the treatment of acute ischemic stroke has concluded that data supporting its use are insufficient.

caveat emptor
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

I usually take around 1gram of Acetyl-L-carnitine a day to improve my own cognitive functions.

I've been a big fan for a few years now.

Hi Slatedrake,

Thanks for your comment.

In Mind Boosters, Dr. Sahelia writes: "Acetyl-L-carnitine is an antioxidant involved in energy utilization within cells. A dose of 500 mg in the morning before breakfast works within two to three hours to induce a pleasant visual and mental clarity.

I don't use this supplement, because I think you can get equal benefits by following a nutrient dense, low carb, adequate good fat, adequate protein rich diet (along with a few other good habits) ... but if it works for YOU ... all the best.

C.C. :)

Edited by calmcookie, 04 June 2007 - 01:28 PM.

#5 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

Acetyl-L-Carnitine supplements are among the highest price "alternative" therapies out there, with no demonstrable (scientific method) benefits.

Memory loss over time (also known loosely as "dementia") is a major issue, especially because thanks to good medical care, people are living longer. There are MANY reversible and preventable causes. The tragedy is that so many people think its inevitable or self-medicate and therefore miss opportunities.

Pure AD (Alzheimer's) has NO KNOWN treatment to prevent it. Period.

Vascular dementia, however, is greatly reduced by lipid lowering, blood pressure lowering, treatment of diabetes and cessation of smoking.

The lesser known causes included the gamut - pernicious anemia, thryoid disease, and many more.

Check with your phsyician before self-medicating with window box vines and houseplants. Its your MIND. Its your MEMORY. It's your LIFE we're talking about.

mm

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hi Slatedrake, Forgot to ask ... how long have you been taking this supplement? Just curious. I have a physician friend who does a lot of weight training ... he also has good things to say about it. As mentioned, I don't have any personal need for any of these items. At present, a few immune boosting dietary concepts will suffice. Just like to keep learning. Best to all, C.C. :)

Edited by calmcookie, 04 June 2007 - 08:00 PM.

#7 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

There is no documented evidence (scientific method) of an increase in Alzheimer's-type dementia with any purported change in diet reccomendations. This is laughable. For one, the "population" (currently over 300 million in the USA alone) does not adhere to any one "diet". People eat all kinds of stuff - fatty, non fatty, meaty, non-meaty, etc. etc. So no "conclusions" can be reached. It would be unethical to do a controlled study to determine the outcome of one diet versus the other to see who gets demented. This would be criminal. It would be close to impossible to ferret out a life-time "diet" influence on people who ultimately developed dementia. If I eat "Diet X" my whole life and drive "Y" car and breath "Z" air and get "A" hours of sunlight and sleep "B" hours a night and smile "C" times a day, do I get more demented than the person who eats "Diet X" but drives a different car, breaths different air, etc.? How can one jump to such frequent silly conclusions with so little data? Finally, the association between Vitamin E and Alzheimer's has been studied. There is no link - pro or con. The Truth will set you free. mm

#8 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Forgot to mention - The two best things about Alzheimers is that you meet "new" people every day and you can hide your own Easter eggs. :lol: :D :lol:

#9 slatedrake

slatedrake

• Traders-Talk User
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hi Slatedrake,

Forgot to ask ... how long have you been taking this supplement? Just curious. I have a physician friend who does a lot of weight training ... he also has good things to say about it. As mentioned, I don't have any personal need for any of these items. At present, a few immune boosting dietary concepts will suffice. Just like to keep learning.

Best to all, C.C. :)

Hey C.C.,

I've been taking ALCAR daily since Feb/March of 2003...uh....maybe a little longer, I don't remember. :lol:

I bet your physician friend likes to combine it with a few other items as well. Here's my daily -

Multi
C
B complex
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) (400mg daily)
Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) (500mg - 1000mg daily)
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) (600mg daily)
Fish Oil (as much as I can possibly stomach...endomorph and it gives me a lot more play in the diet)

I couldn't agree more about using diet as the best 'supplement' around..and I'm sure in my case that all of the benefits of these supps could be supplied by a better diet. But the one exception might be the ALCAR actually. I not aware of those mg levels (or even remotely close) being supplied by any organic foodstuff.
Before you start trading get your brain around risk control. Know how much leverage you're using and know when to go to cash if you're wrong.

#10 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

Hey C.C., I've been taking ALCAR daily since Feb/March of 2003...uh....maybe a little longer, I don't remember. :lol: I bet your physician friend likes to combine it with a few other items as well. Here's my daily - [/quote] Yes, he does take a few other things (but not much - dosage is important). It's unfortunate that some people go overboard with amounts ... they think that if "some" is good, "more" will be better ... which is rarely the case. Balance is the key, not too much and not too little. Even too much fish oil has it's downside (but I agree with the benefits - in small, but adequate doses). Of course, daily food habits are the first step to better health. Habits are health. Best, C.C. :P

Edited by calmcookie, 05 June 2007 - 07:37 AM.