IB Future roll over question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 swingtrader

swingtrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

A newbie question: How do I roll over my future contract at IB? The same ticker, YM, for example, the JUNE contract and SEPT contract are selling at different price. How that going to affect my profit/loss? Thanks so much!

#2 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

It won't effect anything...but it's not automatic...if you are trading June...you better switch before Friday ...close that position and open it on Sept contract. ES U7 is Sept.

#3 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

I talked with IB about this recently, they said you must sell your existing contract and buy the other one. There is no such thing as automatic roll over is what they said. I think if you leave the contract until expiration then any money it has made or lost is added or subtracted to your account. That sound about right fellas?

It won't effect anything...but it's not automatic...if you are trading June...you better switch before Friday ...close that position and open it on Sept contract. ES U7 is Sept.

What's wrong with doing it on Friday?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#4 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

[/quote] What's wrong with doing it on Friday? [/quote] Russ, The volume on June is pathetic. It's about 10% of September's volume. Unless, you want bad fills, you would be better switching to Sep ASAP (if you still haven't)

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#5 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

Russ,

The volume on June is pathetic. It's about 10% of September's volume. Unless, you want bad fills, you would be better switching to Sep ASAP (if you still haven't)

Well I do have 5 es and 1 biggie, I think its going to rally up a bit more so am waiting.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

#6 lscharpen

lscharpen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

I talked with IB about this recently, they said you must sell your existing contract and buy the other one. There is no such thing as automatic roll over is what they said. I think if you leave the contract until expiration then any money it has made or lost is added or subtracted to your account. That sound about right fellas?

What's wrong with Friday for the June S&P contract is that the contract is last traded on Thursday 6/14 at 3:15 pm Central time.

Lee Scharpen

#7 bnick

bnick

• Traders-Talk User
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

What's wrong with Friday for the June S&P contract is that the contract is last traded on Thursday 6/14 at 3:15 pm Central time.

Lee Scharpen

You should try a Combo order: Buy Sept, Sell June. Although this is a typical spread order, it will leave you net long Sept. That way, all trades are made contemporaneously.

#8 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

You should try a Combo order: Buy Sept, Sell June. Although this is a typical spread order, it will leave you net long Sept. That way, all trades are made contemporaneously

You mean go short June?

Lee Scharpen

If you hold it until expiration whatever profit or loss is either credited or debited to your account at the close on Friday though right? I've never actually held anything until expiration.

Russ

Edited by Russ, 13 June 2007 - 01:45 PM.

#9 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

You should try a Combo order: Buy Sept, Sell June. Although this is a typical spread order, it will leave you net long Sept. That way, all trades are made contemporaneously

You mean go short June?

Lee Scharpen

If you hold it until expiration whatever profit or loss is either credited or debited to your account at the close on Friday though right? I've never actually held anything until expiration.

Russ

For a cash settled contract like the S&P, that's right.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#10 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

You mean go short June?

Lee Scharpen

Russ

For a cash settled contract like the S&P, that's right.

Thanks Nav. I don't understand the hedge strategy mentioned above, why would you want to (sell) short? June when it is about to expire?