PPT in action... here is what happened

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

I just read capitalstool.com message board, and now I understand exactly what happened today. Here is the real story, that you won't find out from CNBC. Just as the market was about to collapse, because of the well known issues of the housing implosion and subprime debacle..... and the bears were about to reap the rewards on the historicaly high short position and all those puts they've been heavily accumulating over the past couple weeks... in one of its most treacherous moves to date, the darn PPT jumped in in the last 30 minutes and stick saved the market from its well deserved less then glorious end by using large amount of 20 to 1 leveraged derivatives. As a result we had close to historical highs volume day in the market with 2.8 bil upside volume and 3.6 total volume on the Nasdaq alone and greatly improving A/D line. But we all know that justice will prevail any day now, and we're going to keep shorting this dog. ... btw. Dr.Doom from capitalstool is a complete hack, but thats just my opinion.

Edited by ogm, 08 August 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#2 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

He's right...but it was the PPTEA...

#3 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

PPT under strict orders not to let price get back inside the 4 year uptrend channel. (Snort!)

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=W&yr=5&mn=4&dy=0&i=p72205258014&a=113714691&r=3749.png

#4 JAP

JAP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

I just read capitalstool.com message board, and now I understand exactly what happened today. Here is the real story, that you won't find out from CNBC.

Just as the market was about to collapse, because of the well known issues of the housing implosion and subprime debacle..... and the bears were about to reap the rewards on the historicaly high short position and all those puts they've been heavily accumulating over the past couple weeks...

in one of its most treacherous moves to date, the darn PPT jumped in in the last 30 minutes and stick saved the market from its well deserved less then glorious end by using large amount of 20 to 1 leveraged derivatives.

As a result we had close to historical highs volume day in the market with 2.8 bil upside volume and 3.6 total volume on the Nasdaq alone and greatly improving A/D line.

But we all know that justice will prevail any day now, and we're going to keep shorting this dog.

btw. Dr.Doom from capitalstool is a complete hack, but thats just my opinion.

Only the big boys really know what is going on. Everyone else is just speculating.

The one thing I do believe is that the PPT has had a very active role in these markets since Paulson and Bernanke were brought in.

#5 greek179

greek179

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

Everyone always rushes to the PPT excuse when the market goes against them. The true story is that as CNBC reported there was a rumor going around that GS was going to pre-announce a problem with its Alpha hedge fund and the market cratered into 3:30 Pm. At 3:30PM CNBC said not true and the market surged. Sometimes there are simple answers.

#6 beta

beta

lasergirl

• TT Patron+
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

Here's what happened: 1490 was the 50% Fib retrace and sitting above the double top formation at 1488; when that pivot got taken out and 1490 held, momentum traders jumped in and took it to next upside resistance at 1505 (62% Fib). Most of the action was in the $XBD which has been carrying the SPX along w/ XLF. IF the 62% retrace holds, logic dictates another move back to the end of wave "A" area (or truncated "C"). Several posters here projected the 1505 high, including Airedale, LarryT, and Insider. (Mine was 1503, posted two days ago). That's why I think we may get one more run at 1505, before it tests downside supports. The real question is, will it attempt a 7/8 retrace (which would have LT bearish implications) ? The only thing I find surprising in all this is that the action took so many people by surprise ! No need for PPT Cliffnotes or conspiracy theories, just read the charts !! :)

Edited by beta, 08 August 2007 - 07:36 PM.

"Daytrading -- An Extreme Sport !"

#7 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

Everyone always rushes to the PPT excuse when the market goes against them. The true story is that as CNBC reported there was a rumor going around that GS was going to pre-announce a problem with its Alpha hedge fund and the market cratered into 3:30 Pm. At 3:30PM CNBC said not true and the market surged. Sometimes there are simple answers.

Cool, then what is the simple reason they started the rumor-and who were "they" ? And, who was the "they" that were so acredited and believable-that people would risk millions and millions on their word?

Edited by thespookyone, 08 August 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#8 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

Goldman Sachs actually MIGHT have a problem. I don't know, I'm just guessing, but it wouldn't be surprising at all.

#9 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

There is tremendous money being poored into the markets by the secondary market operations since last month, why do you think the USD did not recover despite all this credit destruction in the sub-primes?!? The Fed is not letting the money supply shrink and the Fed statement is just their window dressing...

Posted Image
Securities Lending Transaction Volume
Par value of securities lent per trading day ($ billions)

I keep repeating myself like a broken record, maybe somebody will want to see the meaning of this chart and make use of it for his/her financial benefit at some point...

Goldman Sachs actually MIGHT have a problem. I don't know, I'm just guessing, but it wouldn't be surprising at all.

... only one problem? The advantage of the commercial and investment banks is they can get themselves rescued by the central banks for the benefit of everybody. This is how it works in every country.

If they fail, the entire nations financing activities will collapse...

But what's so interesting about the capitalism is that they have to find a counter party in every transaction, including the Fed. Currently, the foreigners are the counter party here and this is not very comforting either...

#10 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Kisa-I always monitor Temporary Open Market Operations, is there a better way for me to do it? TIA. Spooky