CNBC's Euphemism of the Day

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

No, no. You don't understand. This isn't a decline {God forbid!}; it's just "volatility". Today's mantra from the fund managers went something like this- "I'm telling my clients to just relax and ride out the current volatility in the markets..." One even added: "Go walk you dog." Volatilty? If the SPX went up 140 points, that would be called strength, or a rally, or an advance, or a bull market, or maybe even "great mutual fund management". Have you ever heard them refer to 140 points up as "the current volatility in the markets"? Just my musings about human nature. Sorry. ;)
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#2 Insider

Insider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

:lol:
BEAR MARKET - JULY 29, 2011

Current Position:

Short the Dow from 12200

#3 mikehb

mikehb

• Traders-Talk User
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

rant on brother..these idiots have done more damage to people's wealth than 25 Hurricane Katrinas

#4 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

pretty spot on musing, the media does an extraordinary job of downplaying a lot of declines. Only until we start hearing "this is the end of the world" is when we know the bottom is in. They are just being patriotic.
“be right and sit tight”

#5 mikehb

mikehb

• Traders-Talk User
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

......and whatever happened to Wendy Tush?????.......................... :cry:

#6 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

i'm glad someone else sees that. btw, why the heck did goldman sachs have to get investors to bail out its hedge fund ?????? does this mean they don't have enough $$$ to do so themselves ????? what's the deal ???? (is hank greenberg REALLY the man you want saving you, LOLOLOL ?) isn't this goldman thing the biggest news so far ???? ISN'T THIS THE BIGGEST STORY YET ? maria just finished a pretty good interview which revealed that GS had to call around to deep pockets to get them to put money into their hedge fund. doesn't this mean the fund was highly leveraged and underwater and has HUGE margin calls ? aren't these supposed to be the smartest and most connected people on the planet ??? someone please tell me what i am missing !!!!!!!!

Edited by humble1, 15 August 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#7 gm_general

gm_general

• TT Member+
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Heh, I thought on CNBC that increased volatility meant option expiration manipulation! :lol:

#8 ZIDANE

ZIDANE

• Traders-Talk User
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

It's amazing how many folks are still unwilling to respect or acknowledge that we are in the midst of a very real and serious downtrend. Maybe they will after today? Go Bearz! :bear: :bear: :bear:

#9 ken29

ken29

• Traders-Talk User
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

Think Traders are conditioned to buy on dips and forget what a market decline looks like........... :P

#10 saltlake

saltlake

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

A downtrend indeed. Also known as a Bear market. This can change at anytime but for now the path to least resistance is down.