Photo

Pet obesity in U.S - right up there with the human problem.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

People often treat their pets as if MORE is better ... not knowing that pets are happiest when they have a reasonable routine, lots of activity, even a bit of challenge (obstacle courses ... effort to find their food ... play, etc) and enough (not too much) quality food. According to this article, over 60% of pets in America are overweight ... and just like humans, they suffer all kinds of painful consequences:

http://www.cnn.com/2...pets/index.html

Edited by calmcookie, 26 September 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#2 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

The problem with obesity in pets is multifaceted for sure . Owners are definitely at fault but there is something else going on under the radar screen that should be noted. Start reading the ingredients on the bags of dry food for your cat and/or dog . They have filled this food with fruits and grains and minimized the protein.I see their commercials spouting this gibberish about that is what cats crave . Cats are CARNIVORES ,not OMNIVORES. To be healthy , feed them meat . That IS what they crave .With the new fruit and grain diet for cats , the diabetes levels in cats is also rising . Now dogs , on the other hand , I would label opportunistic carnivores . They will eat many things they shouldn't but even for them meat should dominate their diet. Carbs make for fat pets and rich vets .

#3 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

The problem with obesity in pets is multifaceted for sure . Owners are definitely at fault but there is something else going on under the radar screen that should be noted. Start reading the ingredients on the bags of dry food for your cat and/or dog . They have filled this food with fruits and grains and minimized the protein.I see their commercials spouting this gibberish about that is what cats crave . Cats are CARNIVORES ,not OMNIVORES. To be healthy , feed them meat . That IS what they crave .With the new fruit and grain diet for cats , the diabetes levels in cats is also rising . Now dogs , on the other hand , I would label opportunistic carnivores . They will eat many things they shouldn't but even for them meat should dominate their diet. Carbs make for fat pets and rich vets .

Background: My cat is 13ish, male, Himalayan, neutered at 6 mo.

Lestat.gif

In the past 6 months I've been noticing that he's been losing weight- not gaining it-. he's down 1/2 lb in 4 months, consistently losing a few ounces per month, even as I've been feeding home more (trying to, anyway.)

I've tried vitamins (which he hates, I have to trick him to eat them), cat treats, canned and dry food (consistent diet of Iams for years).

A few years back he weighed in at 12 lbs. Now he's 8lbs. 1 oz.

Any suggestions?
Thx.

#4 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

Any suggestions?
Thx.

Fry some bacon, crisp, crumble and mix with canned tuna, add a scrambled egg once a week. Give it 3-4 times a week for a month. This is added food to regular diet. Weight should start coming up. An old cat needs more oiley stuff and higher fat than an active cat.
:cat:
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#5 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Any suggestions?
Thx.

Fry some bacon, crisp, crumble and mix with canned tuna, add a scrambled egg once a week. Give it 3-4 times a week for a month. This is added food to regular diet. Weight should start coming up. An old cat needs more oiley stuff and higher fat than an active cat.

Yes, I think the oils are important ... just like in humans! Essential fats are SOOOO vital to good health, but many humans habitually consume very little of the GOOD fats (we're not talking trans fat loaded processed foods, or animal based saturated fats ... but the healthy stuff ... avocados, almonds, cashews, canola and olive oil, etc).

(p.s. - I have a new pet rabbit, and he's hilarious ... loves to run around and dance ... litter box trained too)

Edited by calmcookie, 27 September 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#6 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

Any suggestions?
Thx.

Thanks. Sounds like the cat's going to be eating better than I do for a while.
btw: he prefers prosciutto over bacon; he gets that regularly :-) he gets tuna about 1x per week.... and I hadn't thought about eggs. I'll give it a shot, too.

Any thoughts on vitamins for picky cats?

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

Try giving your cat some fried rabbit. :P

#8 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Try giving your cat some fried rabbit.

:P

Or give your rabbit some fried cat.......................................fish. :D
Your cat too. B)
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#9 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

Try giving your cat some fried rabbit.

:P

:angry: ... I claim rabbit abuse, rabbit slander, rabbit prejudice and rabbit brutality.

Actually, I once ate rabbit stew at my Aunt's house in Belgium and it WAS delicious! But no bunny of mine is going to end up in the hot sauce. ;)

#10 murmur

murmur

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

You might want to have your Vet check his thyroid levels. HYPERthyroidism is not an uncommon problem in older cats.