What is the Opposite of Complacency?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

I'm looking at this indicator of mine and for the entire 30 some days of this last uptrend it has signaled complacency. When I do get a spike as broader market indicators move toward their extremes.....what do you call that? What is the opposite of complacency? Anyone here good with Antonyms for traders? :D When my tool finally spikes and indicates complacency is dead and change is in the wind...I want to get the terminology right.

Edited by Sentient Being, 05 October 2007 - 04:37 PM.

In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#2 SandStorm

SandStorm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Capitulation.

#3 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of volatility but that's not really the feel that I want. Sure, I guess the volatility could be a sign of capitulation. The last of the nonbelievers getting in, just in time to wish they stayed out. I suppose one could say that they see an increase in volatility that may be signaling capitulation? What I saw tonight was the same thing since this run began....more a calm, steady advance, perhaps complacency is also the wrong word. What I'm seeing is "normal" or "calm". The major turns tend to come when the activity is more "extreme" possibly a sign of the markets being "unsettled"?

Edited by Sentient Being, 05 October 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#4 ruffwood

ruffwood

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Agony, discomfort, pain, misery

Edited by ruffwood, 05 October 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#5 89S10

89S10

• TT Member+
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

skeptical guarded anxious

#6 andie

andie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:14 PM

Extreme market moves?

Edited by andie, 05 October 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#7 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

SB: "When my tool finally spikes" whoa...hold on just a minute SB...thats for the late nite Globex traders maybe :lol:

#8 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

SB:

"When my tool finally spikes"

whoa...hold on just a minute SB...thats for the late nite Globex traders maybe :lol:

Thanks for the laugh. Well, I'm fishing around for terminology. I've never really gotten this up-close and intimate with an indicator before, even one that I've made. I had expected to see readings pushing to the outer edges tonight after such a pop, but the stuff I'm looking at is still creating a very average reading. Which I think might translate to be continued complacency thru today.

The up-trends tend to be very average in readings and the change over and drops tend to show the readings out on the edges of possibility. It's much easier to spot the complacent trend signals as a continue to hold than to figure out which extreme behavior indicates more downside and which extreme behavior signals the final bottom to buy.

That's the last part I need to figure out, what really tends to make a good buying signal here. The hold and get ready to sell signals are no problem. The great buy signals don't come very often. So I need to do something with the more blurred buying situations from which many good runs start.

#9 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:28 PM

actuation, (or to coin a word, "actuancy"), at least for the usage I think you're trying to convey (the end of complacency). The thing doing this could be called the actuator.

Edited by spielchekr, 05 October 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#10 SandStorm

SandStorm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:30 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of volatility but that's not really the feel that I want. Sure, I guess the volatility could be a sign of capitulation. The last of the nonbelievers getting in, just in time to wish they stayed out.

I suppose one could say that they see an increase in volatility that may be signaling capitulation?

What I saw tonight was the same thing since this run began....more a calm, steady advance, perhaps complacency is also the wrong word. What I'm seeing is "normal" or "calm". The major turns tend to come when the activity is more "extreme" possibly a sign of the markets being "unsettled"?

Well, I was thinking we usually get complacent when we are on the right side of the market and making money and feeling happy. Therefore, the other extreme must be losing money and unhappy then the level of anxiety continues to rise until we finally give up on the wrong position.

Nice and healthy doggie you got there. How do you get its fur to puff up like that? :)

Edited by SandStorm, 06 October 2007 - 04:33 AM.