Photo

Off topic - Injection molding - $10,000 ? Seems high.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Off topic, but some of you have knowledge in this area ... I have a simple design ... it's about 14 inches long by 8 inches wide ... 1/8 of an inch thick ... grate (pattern with holes), flat on one side. Filed provisional patent ... nothing like it on the market. It's an insert to create a cleaner and more practical rabbit litter box. Tested sales interest on eBay, with a hand made prototype ... PLENTY of interest in this (there are about 14 million pet rabbit owners in the U.S.), but got a quote of $10,000 to make the mold (for plastic injection). Seems high ... but haven't been able to find anything else. Comments appreciated. I'm all rabbit ears :D C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 30 October 2007 - 12:09 PM.

#2 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

I was in the plastic extrusion business years ago....that sounds about right...You should check out sources in your area that have contacts in China/ India.....you could do it for less than half that...and production runs would be cheaper too.
PS...My son brought a rabbit home from college this summer....and I'm still looking after it....I've just let it go in the back yard...he now thinks he's a wild rabbit but comes home for meals......and man....can they poop a ton!!

Posted Image

Edited by Teaparty, 30 October 2007 - 12:27 PM.

#3 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for suggestions. Will hunt around locally. If anyone's interested, you can see prototype on eBay under keywords "Rabbit Litter box" (the "BunnyLoo") ... it's a simple item, but a few details make all the difference ... and the FINAL design is slightly different. And yes, rabbits are almost non stop poopers ... and most people give up their rabbits (to shelters or stupidly just set them loose) SOLELY because they don't know how to litter train them. And you MUST get the rabbit spayed or neutered or they will continually mark their territory with urine. Rabbits respond to praise (not scolding ... so it's a matter of catching them doing the right thing ... just like children !!). It takes a bit of time to litter train, but once done, these critters make good pets ... and they LOVE attention. One way or another ... I'll eventually get this to market. Cheers, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 30 October 2007 - 12:48 PM.

#4 gorydog

gorydog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

cheap china prototype and mold maker
B)
I can attest to this being on the level.
GD

#5 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

cheap china prototype and mold maker
B)
I can attest to this being on the level.
GD

Gee Thanks ! I will look. :)