• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

A very large international look at the causes and treatments of diabetes around the world. Just finished ahead of "International Diabetes Day" coming in November. Really fascinating findings. As you know I tend to get a little hot under the collar when I see "simplistic" answers and explanations.... Maybe some of the findings here might help explain: In Africa, being thin is a stigma associated with AIDS. As soon as people get a little money they overeat to reduce the stigmata of AIDS. Diabetes is on the rise in Africa. In India poverty was a way of life for so long that Obesity is now considered a status symbol. Obesity (and wealth) are on the rise. Diabetes is on the rise. In Brazil, people hate going to the gym. A pilot study showed that if you encourage diabetics to dance, they do, as dancing is a national passtime there. Going to the gym is not. In Finland, a small country with a lousy diet (meat and cheese) the heart attack rate was so high they started a program in the 1970s to reduce meat and cheese consumption. There has been a dramatic drop in heart attacks. (75% reduction since the program was initiated). The diet remains in flux. They are now going to try a similar "diabetic" diet reduction program. So, not always just "eat less and exercise more" for everyone. Just thought I'd pass it along. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice