here is a hedged bet that is surely going to make you money

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

Long tech (QLD), short financials (SKF). Everyone thinks it is a winning combination. Tech is here to stay, leveraged financial companies, homebuilders, REITs, brokers, banks are going to get busted. Another winner is going to be commodities....that sector is going to be unscathed by any correction. What do you think??? :) Changed my SRS positions (opened in mid May) to half QID and half DUG :). Made a tiny 24% profit for having the luxury of not watching charts every minute of the day. Best to all, G.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#2 Darris

Darris

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

Little shy of your $600 (VI) target.

#3 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

Little shy of your $600 (VI) target.

SRS goes to 600 from 94 today, QID to 340 from 34. Which one gives more reward?? It is all relative.

#4 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

Just for the record: SRS:QID=2.68 now. SRS:DUG=2.3. Will come back to SRS with a better ratio....at least that is the plan :)

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

Can you show us the math on how the QID will go up 10X from here? Are investors in the NDX going to have to pay money to the QID holders at some point? :lol:

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

Can you show us the math on how the QID will go up 10X from here? Are investors in the NDX going to have to pay money to the QID holders at some point? :lol:

I am not good in math. It is just a voice in me saying SRS=616, QID=340. What do you think is the highest value QID can reach?

BTW, even after this incredible bull market of last three months, value-trap NRO is still at the same point where I shorted it. This market is too stupid to recognize this incredible value !! You can collect the dividends, but from tomorrow onwards I will collect real money. It is going to below 6, like I told you :)

#7 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

when QID hits 340 I am going to buy GOOG. As in, the company :lol:

#8 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

I am not good in math. It is just a voice in me saying SRS=616, QID=340. What do you think is the highest value QID can reach?

BTW, even after this incredible bull market of last three months, value-trap NRO is still at the same point where I shorted it. This market is too stupid to recognize this incredible value !! You can collect the dividends, but from tomorrow onwards I will collect real money. It is going to below 6, like I told you :)

Well, I could have traded it, but I wasn't sure what I'd buy if I sold it and I like 13% on my money plus cap appreciation. But net of divvies, I'm still making a decent profit and you're not. Like I said, that's a dumb trade. Short the riskier reits themselves, but don't short assets trading at a discount. You're swimming up stream.

BTW, when residential realestate is in the pooper and nobody wants it, what happens to rents if the economy isn't in recession?

Now, as for the math. Think about it. The NDX can only go to Zero. So an etf that is 2X leveraged short this will go up how much if it drops 50%? If it drops to zero what happens? Is that what you think will happen?

Now, they may rebalance, periodically and that will likely change the % a little bit, and possibly even allow more than the maximum gain but not 1,000%.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#9 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

Or, you could go long NRO, hedge with IYR puts (I haven't looked at the specific correlations but I can't see them being terribly off from one another), sell naked IYR calls, and not really give a %$#& where NRO twaddles around at and still make a healthy buck :)

#10 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

Well, I could have traded it, but I wasn't sure what I'd buy if I sold it and I like 13% on my money plus cap appreciation. But net of divvies, I'm still making a decent profit and you're not. Like I said, that's a dumb trade. Short the riskier reits themselves, but don't short assets trading at a discount. You're swimming up stream.

BTW, when residential realestate is in the pooper and nobody wants it, what happens to rents if the economy isn't in recession?

Now, as for the math. Think about it. The NDX can only go to Zero. So an etf that is 2X leveraged short this will go up how much if it drops 50%? If it drops to zero what happens? Is that what you think will happen?

Now, they may rebalance, periodically and that will likely change the % a little bit, and possibly even allow more than the maximum gain but not 1,000%.

M

So speaking of rents. Housing payments averaging twice that of rents. Either one is going fall big time or one is going to go way up. Isn't CPI based on equivalent rents? No wonder the fargin number is so low.
OTIS.