• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

Folks, the Pacific Northwest truffles are coming and they are the best I've seen in years. If you've never had the black truffles, they are utterly amazing. I didn't even know we had them in this country until 9 years ago. I bought two fairly large truffles on Friday for abut $17 bucks. That's enough for 3 meals, but we'll only use them in two. ;). So, $8.5 per is pretty reasonable. That's about the price of two beers. I have to tell you, a truffled hen (or better yet, a capon) is something to experience. What I do is start with an unglazed roasting pot (romertopf), but you could probably use any covered roasting pot. I then get the best quality bird I can find. Fresh. I season the cavity and stuff it with a couple shallots, a little garlic, fresh sage, and a few bits of truffle, usually end slices. Then I tuck two cloves of garlic under the breast skin and four slices of truffle. I'll also tuck a little truffle under the leg skin. You should have a half truffle left. Reserve this for later. Brush the bird with oil or melted butter, and season with kosher salt and pepper. Place the bird in the pot. Peel and quarter a small onion and place around the bird in the pot. Peel and roughly chop a carrot and arrange around the bird. Add 4 peeled cloves of garlic, and 6-8 small, peeled, oiled and seasoned new potatoes. Add enough DRY sherry or white wine to the pot to bring it up to 1" above the bottom. Cover and place in a cold oven. Set the temperature at 475 and roast for 1 1/2 -2 hours (depending upon your oven and the size of the bird). You may want to uncover at 90 minutes to brown the skin and potatoes more. If you do, check it after 15. When the bird is tender and brown, pull it and let it rest only 5 minutes. Keep the pan juices hot. Preheat plates and add potatoes whatever carrots and garlic you might want from the pot. Carve the chicken, then thinly shave truffle slices over the top of the meat. Spoon the hot pan juices over the truffled meat. The room should become infused with the perfume. You can serve this with buttered and dilled green beans. If you want to go over the top, an endive gratin works really well with a capon for Christmas dinner. A fine red wine is called for here. I like a good, velvety (not tannic or acidic) Rosso. If this isn't one of the finest dinners you've had, I'll be amazed.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 nicolasillo

nicolasillo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:37 AM

sounds delicious....especially after a good trading day ;p

#3 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Any day is good after that meal. It's not hard, either. The hardest part is finding good fresh truffles and a high quality bird. And maybe parting with the bucks on a truffle in the first place--it's hard for us frugal types to sell ourselves on the notion (at first ;) ). You get good Italian truffles over there, don't you?

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#4 nicolasillo

nicolasillo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

yes we do (better the French one though). Bit more expensive though as good food in this country is way too expensive. But when I go back to my country for holidays I enjoy all the good stuff. Here only once in a while ;p

Edited by nicolasillo, 20 November 2007 - 09:45 AM.

#5 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

I believe George Sand's favorite was truffle omelet - one truffle per person <G>

http://whatscookinga...gonTruffles.htm
best,
klh

#6 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Mark, Thanks,. I'm going to make this. Sounds great. If I don't get the chance to say this, Happy Holidays to all.... mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

Happy Holidays to everyone too. MM, you give us a full report on the dinner. Don't be shy about the endive gratin, if you want to go over the top... ;) Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#8 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

Yum.