• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Have a Toyota Camry ... just got a tune up .... but it keeps hesitating when I step on the gas. When I pedal down to accelerate, there is a significant time lag before it finally kicks in .... dangerous when one is trying to enter traffic and the darn thing won't go. Any wild guesses as to what this could be? Mechanic didn't say anything after tune up. Thanks, C.C. :huh:

#2 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

they probably forgot to hook something up. if you got new spark plug wires check those. i never get tune-ups, so i really don't know. i don't like them messing with my cars. i use prem gas and frequent oil changes and so far that has done it. it sounds like something pretty simple unless they screwed with your fuel pump.

#3 watchthemarkets

watchthemarkets

• Traders-Talk User
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

Have a Toyota Camry ... just got a tune up .... but it keeps hesitating when I step on the gas.

When I pedal down to accelerate, there is a significant time lag before it finally kicks in .... dangerous when one
is trying to enter traffic and the darn thing won't go.

Any wild guesses as to what this could be? Mechanic didn't say anything after tune up.

Thanks, C.C. :huh:

I had the same problem, although it was with a mercedes, so not sure if they use the same technology.
Basically the problem was that the pedal used an electrical sensor ( a potentiometer) that sent an electrical
signal to accelerate (they just call it a pedal sensor). Apparently, these sensors go bad, meaning when
the electrical part is bad, it no longer senses your pressure from your foot. Replacement was about 300 for parts.

It was VERY scary driving to the dealer, as I didn't know when it would kick out or kick in.

#4 denmo83

denmo83

• Traders-Talk User
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

How long ago was the tune-up and was it doing that b/4 the tune-up?

#5 outsider

outsider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

Sounds like fuel filter or fuel pump if these were not changed out at tune up. Sometimes a bad fuel injector will do this but it is usually more erratic. Otherwise maybe an electronic chip problem as someone else mentioned. Not a serious fix unless you have a bad chip which is expensive.

Hope this helps.

Out

Have a Toyota Camry ... just got a tune up .... but it keeps hesitating when I step on the gas.

When I pedal down to accelerate, there is a significant time lag before it finally kicks in .... dangerous when one

Any wild guesses as to what this could be? Mechanic didn't say anything after tune up.

#6 outsider

outsider

• Traders-Talk User
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

Sounds like fuel filter or fuel pump if these were not changed out at tune up. Sometimes a bad fuel injector will do this but it is usually more erratic. Otherwise maybe an electronic chip problem as someone else mentioned. Not a serious fix unless you have a bad chip which is expensive.

Hope this helps.

Out

#7 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Tune up was about 2 weeks ago ... and part of the reason I got the tune up was because of a SLIGHT hesitation (was MUCH milder back then). I told the mechanic about it, but just assumed it would be improved after I paid them (no such luck). Situation has become progressively worse ... longer hesitation and I will definitely have to take it in again ... but just dislike giving them cart blanche. Would prefer to have some idea as to what this might be. I have a vague feeling that it has something to do with the fuel line ... but I'm no car expert. It's only a hunch. Thanks for the comments guys, C.C. :) (thanks outsider ... wrote the above before seeing your comments - appreciation to all of you)

Edited by calmcookie, 08 October 2008 - 10:50 AM.

#8 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

Could also be related to the catalytic converter. IT

#9 LarryT

LarryT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

Most likely the throttle position sensor is faulty. Do you have a check engine lite on? Suggest you take it to a garage that has an electronic analyzer and have a qualified Tech do a computer analysis, takes about 30-minutes to run one. Sun analyzer is the best.

Larry
"If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough"

Twitter site

d:^)

#10 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

http://www.automotiv...in/t696956.html
vitaminm