US Global and John Embry's weekend perspectives

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

For some reason, I couldn't get on the board yesterday...I wanted to post the good and the bad comments together but found I had to go on and post the negative first as it took me much more time to go back and find the positive one's which I am posting below:

Gold Comments from U.S. Global Investors Gold Market

For the week, spot gold closed at $783.40 per ounce down $65.20 or 7.67 percent. Gold equities, as measured by the XAU Gold & Silver Index fell 14.63 percent for the week. The U.S. Trade-Weighted Dollar Index showed some weakness finally losing 0.70 percent.

Strength

The stockpiling of physical gold by investors around the world remains very robust.
Buyers who are able to find precious metal coins have been reported to be paying more than $20 per ounce of silver and $1,000 per ounce of gold.
The Zurich-based ZKB Gold ETF has risen to record levels for seven consecutive weeks on strong demand for bullion. The Swiss bank that manages the ETF said its vault is “full right up to the top” with gold.

Weakness

Gold fell below $800 per ounce this week on what may have been another forced liquidation.
Banks are no longer willing to fund hedge funds that are posting losses. Many hedge fund managers are under severe pressure to liquidate positions as banks demand more collateral to shore up their borrowing.
The most recent U.S Consumer Price Index showed a slight loss in momentum with a 4.9 percent in the last 12 months compared to 5.4 percent in August.

Opportunity

JP Morgan raised its price target for 2008 to $904 per ounce versus a previous forecast of $884 and its target for 2009 to $875 versus its previous target of $854 per ounce. Analysts expect investors to continue to purchase gold.
In collaboration with the World Gold Council, India will begin selling 24-carat gold coins through 100 post offices in four states. They will be sold in half gram, 1 gram, 5 gram and 8 gram denominations. In addition, the recent slide in prices should attract jewelry buyers back into the market.
One analyst noted that likely less than one percent of the public in the western world owns gold or silver. This is worlds away from the mass mania and participation associated with other market bubbles.

Threat

Standard & Poor's dropped the credit outlook for Glencore, the world’s biggest commodity trader, citing declining base metal prices. In a little over a month, credit default swaps for Glencore have jumped from 137 to 784 for 1-year commercial paper. This is similar to the widening of the Ted Spread as a sign of stress for mainstream markets.
Last week, a commentator was asked whether he was worried about the performance of the market next month. He calmly replied "no," because at the current rate of descent the market would be at zero in just nineteen days.
Point being we know the market is not going to zero and the forced liquidations by over leveraged players to rational buyers should be a great buying opportunity.

John Embry on Gold: Rescue will send Gold to surreal price level....

This is a good, but long Investor Daily article so I am posting the link below:
http://www.sprott.co...gest/digest.pdf

Best MDW :)
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence